(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I'm sure you were triggered when he got 335no. That must've hurt. Now he gets to face shittier bowling line up he might make 800.
I doubt he'll score as easily against NZ, hopefully the pitches aren't as flat as the ones in Brisbane and Adelaide but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

LukeParkerno1

Post-Human
Sep 23, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Honestly, did anyone think this would go to the 5th day?

Makes Paine's decision not to let Warner have a crack at the WR even more bewildering I reckon.
No it doesn’t. Team first.

You recon they are 6 down at stumps if he bats on...Warner would have needed till halfway through the last session...

Plus there is weather around

BACCS

BigFooty Juggernaut
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Gary Putland, Redbacks, Oz Cricket

Makes Paine's decision not to let Warner have a crack at the WR even more bewildering I reckon.
Given the original forecast for yesterday it was looking highly likely. The rain somehow decided to come overnight and this morning instead, got very lucky.

frankrizzo

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj

The day three forecast was poor and based on that we could have easily lost 75 overs, also this was a pretty ordinary pitch a real slab of concrete that could have been a draw without the night wickets and after we declared we rolled through their top 6 that alone makes it the right call as it saved a few extra hours of work for the quicks in this match.

k31th

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-F|NHL-F|V8|F1
Given the original forecast for yesterday it was looking highly likely. The rain somehow decided to come overnight and this morning instead, got very lucky.
Tugga is right... we bowled them out twice just with our total (and 48 runs to spare)... another 120+ overs remaining in the current circumstances meant we would easily have had enough time to do it had we allowed Warner to attack 400. He was scoring quite rapidly at the time so it's hardly likely we'd have needed any time more than after the "dinner" break.

BACCS

BigFooty Juggernaut
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Gary Putland, Redbacks, Oz Cricket
Tugga is right... we bowled them out twice just with our total (and 48 runs to spare)... another 120+ overs remaining in the current circumstances meant we would easily have had enough time to do it had we allowed Warner to attack 400. He was scoring quite rapidly at the time so it's hardly likely we'd have needed any time more than after the "dinner" break.
Ah well it’s a team sport, with the weather forecast the declaration made sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

frankrizzo

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
from a conservative standpoint, I agree. Honestly, as a captain, I would have allowed Warner to continue onwards until he was out, basically.
Lets be realistic paine was going to cop it no matter when he declared you even had dickheads calling it disrespectful for declaring after he passed the don, another thing people want to ignore is warner knew exactly when the dec was coming and he took certain risks based on that knowledge with another hour up his sleeve maybe he isn't on 335 at that point maybe he has only just reached his 300 as he doesn't need to take as many risks.

k31th

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-F|NHL-F|V8|F1
Lets be realistic paine was going to cop it no matter when he declared you even had dickheads calling it disrespectful for declaring after he passed the don, another thing people want to ignore is warner knew exactly when the dec was coming and he took certain risks based on that knowledge with another hour up his sleeve maybe he isn't on 335 at that point maybe he has only just reached his 300 as he doesn't need to take as many risks.
yep... can't realistically win at the time and nobody will care by the time the Test is over... same logic with regard to hurrying along works for 400 the same as 335.

greatwhiteshark

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Surprised it finished with 4 sessions remaining considering everyone said how flat the track was when Warner was batting?

Geez what happened?
Yep it was a bowlers paradise. FFS we were playing against a district club level side. If we had played India the first innings would not be over yet.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
The day three forecast was poor and based on that we could have easily lost 75 overs, also this was a pretty ordinary pitch a real slab of concrete that could have been a draw without the night wickets and after we declared we rolled through their top 6 that alone makes it the right call as it saved a few extra hours of work for the quicks in this match.
If this pitch was in the MCG and not at the Adelaide oval for a day night test it would be shit canned by everyone on here

frankrizzo

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
If this pitch was in the MCG and not at the Adelaide oval for a day night test it would be shit canned by everyone on here
Yeah thats true, this game in particular felt like the new ball under lights was far too important to the bowlers, pakstan missing out on that new ball late day 1 due to the rain delay probably cost them any chance to keep things respectable.

deanc

All Australian
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Concur.
Furthermore, as Langer, Paine and Warner himself have since stated, 'the team' were aware of the plan devised in the previous break to declare at 600 and/or with 20 overs remaining in the preceding session.
Who was still batting at that time or what score they were on was not even discussed...!

Similarly at the tea break yesterday 'the team' would of been aware of the plan to enforce the follow-on, which is obviously why the Aus quicks were 'managed' during the next session.

Yes, it's always a bonus to witness anyone achieving records but Warner's opportunity wasn't even considered by the Aus team....

Last edited:

frankrizzo

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Punter said this was the worst bowling he has seen in aus and just looking at Pakistan's last four tests in australia the bowlers have taken just 31 out of 80 posisble wickets for 2499 runs thats 80 runs per wicket, there is bad and then there is this, it's really unfair to even call that minnow level bowling until we give the minnows a shot over here to prove they can do better than 80 runs per wicket.

Crankitup

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
where have I said that they played well? F*** me dead mate. At no point have I said anything aboutit effecting the score, the match situation, anything.

fact: data shows in pink ball teststhe new ball does more at night. If this game gets to tonight, 4 out of 4 times, they have been the side in the worse situation to be in

I suppose the next argument will be about their ineptitude in preventing rain on day one
Sorry to interrupt but wanted to interject with this.

It's a day night match. Every night for 5 days somebody has to bat at night. If you allow the opposition to get to almost 600 in their first innings and you don't fire in your first innings, then more than likely, you'll be batting at night for a few days.

iluvparis

Hall of Famer
Apr 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames, Man Utd
my words were ‘I feel for them circumstantially.’

later I said luck conspired to make things a little more difficult.

hardly the same as saying that with luck on their side they’d have won a test that they are about to lose by an innings, having become the first side to ever do so whilst only taking 3 wickets for the match.
F***en hell.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL - feeling for them circumstantially is just another way of saying they were UNLUCKY - but I'm not sure how you can feel for them circumstantially with a straight face while at the same time saying their circumstances haven't changed - that is peak Phatboy!

A few interesting stats

Session 1
Australia 2/168
Pakistan 4/245

Session 2
Australia 1/183
Pakistan 7/156

Session 3
Australia 0/159
Pakistan 9/158

I guess Australia where just unlucky they didn't get to bat under lights more or they might have made 0/1000

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry to interrupt but wanted to interject with this.

It's a day night match. Every night for 5 days somebody has to bat at night. If you allow the opposition to get to almost 600 in their first innings and you don't fire in your first innings, then more than likely, you'll be batting at night for a few days.
against a new ball 3 nights on the bounce, having missed the chance to bowl with a new ball of their own at night due to weather.

Top Bottom