2nd Test; Australia v Pakistan @ Adelaide Over (D/N) November 29-December 3

Remove this Banner Ad

When you have the bowling depth to be able to field either 2 frontline spinners of below 25 averages with the ball, or to be able to field quicks that can bowl medium pace, fast, swing, seam, and go for s**t all runs, you're onto a pretty good thing.

Still think Shami's one of the most underrated bowlers in world cricket.

Shami tbh often goes through the motions in the first innings. But almost always, he turns into a monster come the last innings earning his nickname "second innings Shami" among the Indian fans. His numbers in the 1st innings and 2nd innings are quite revealing as well, averages 32 in the team 1st innings and 21 in the team's 2nd innings. I think it has do with the fact that he just keeps attacking the stumps and the pitch deterioration as the match progresses helps him since more balls are prone to misbehaving in the last innings. His skiddy action probably adds more to his potency in the last innings.

What impresses me the most about him is his perfect seam position. When they show the slow replay of his deliveries, it almost appears as if the ball is static as it's hurtling towards the batsman. Only then you realise that it's actually rotating in a perfect straight axis along the vertical. While Ishant is primarily a swing bowler, Shami's impeccable straight seam position means he becomes very dangerous on slow wickets that deteriorate whereas he might not always be effective when the conditions necessitate swing bowling, like say in english conditions.

harsh on Latham, he’s played bugger all cricket in most nations and in all bar South Africa he’s scored at least some runs, not necessarily at a great average. He hit a 47 at the Gabba and 50 in the low scoring pink ball test at Adelaide last time. In his only two tests in England he hit 84 and 57, split by some poor scores in his other two innings. He’s improved a bit since then.
his partner is of far greater concern
Fair point but he needs a big score on our flat pitches to be mentioned as a great player imo. He scores big against poor attacks but just tonned up against England so maybe he's on the up and up.......he's also better than his dad so that's something too

Shami tbh often goes through the motions in the first innings. But almost always, he turns into a monster come the last innings earning his nickname "second innings Shami" among the Indian fans. His numbers in the 1st innings and 2nd innings are quite revealing as well, averages 32 in the team 1st innings and 21 in the team's 2nd innings. I think it has do with the fact that he just keeps attacking the stumps and the pitch deterioration as the match progresses helps him since more balls are prone to misbehaving in the last innings. His skiddy action probably adds more to his potency in the last innings.

What impresses me the most about him is his perfect seam position. When they show the slow replay of his deliveries, it almost appears as if the ball is static as it's hurtling towards the batsman. Only then you realise that it's actually rotating in a perfect straight axis along the vertical. While Ishant is primarily a swing bowler, Shami's impeccable straight seam position means he becomes very dangerous on slow wickets that deteriorate whereas he might not always be effective when the conditions necessitate swing bowling, like say in english conditions.
A combination of that seam position and the knack for always being on the edge of picking up a valuable wicket set him apart for me. He's like Siddle, but with a pinch of Ryan Harris in there for good measure; a good honest hard worker, whilst still being able to take wickets by bowling something unplayable every now and then.

The ability to take wickets out of the blue has never been more valuable, and he's got it in spades. He's always a highlight of India's tours here for me.

You missed my point.They largely put themselves in that position. In any case the end result was more or less the same as the first test. No pink ball or night play in that match to blame was there?

We'll find out soon (when we play NZ) how much of this series result was due to Australia playing well as opposed to Pakistan being poor.

Yep. Just as I thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back