2nd Test - Bangladesh vs Australia @ Chittagong

Remove this Banner Ad

Dreadful shortsighted team selection. 3 spinners when you already have Smith underbowling Maxwell and Agar, bringing in SOK ahead of Swepson makes a mockery of the initial selection, and Cartwright surely doesn't get a gig in the upcoming Ashes but we've just dropped the most likely number 3... baffled honestly

???????
I'd say he is very much a chance

Dreadful shortsighted team selection. 3 spinners when you already have Smith underbowling Maxwell and Agar, bringing in SOK ahead of Swepson makes a mockery of the initial selection, and Cartwright surely doesn't get a gig in the upcoming Ashes but we've just dropped the most likely number 3... baffled honestly

My issue with the spin setup is that - including Maxwell - you have four off-spin bowlers. I've never seen Swepson bowl but surely for variety's sake at the very least he should be in the side, especially as he was in the original squad.

By my count that’s 6 times Khawaja has been dropped from the Test side. Pretty tough in a Test career of less than 24 matches but I can understand why. He’s got the same issue as Garry Balance in that when he struggles he looks absolutely awful and it’s so demoralising for the rest of the batting lineup (and confidence building for the opposition) that you can’t really afford it, especially for a No. 3.

Cartwright has to be an Ashes chance, for the squad at least, especially if his Shield form continues.

He should play ahead of Maxwell in Australian conditions, we won't need a 2nd spinner in Australia.

My issue with the spin setup is that - including Maxwell - you have four off-spin bowlers. I've never seen Swepson bowl but surely for variety's sake at the very least he should be in the side, especially as he was in the original squad.

By my count that’s 6 times Khawaja has been dropped from the Test side. Pretty tough in a Test career of less than 24 matches but I can understand why. He’s got the same issue as Garry Balance in that when he struggles he looks absolutely awful and it’s so demoralising for the rest of the batting lineup (and confidence building for the opposition) that you can’t really afford it, especially for a No. 3.

You do realise that both Agar and O'Keefe turn it away from the right hander correct?

Swepson is a year away, his time will come.

Apart from "oh it's the vibe" give us one reason why Cartwright shouldn't have played in this test. He can't do worse than Khawaja with the bat! he's a better fields man, and can bowl...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So...what was the point of taking Swepson?

Not that I'm unhappy the great SOK is playing, mind.

Basically them admitting O'Keefe was the best option and was only out of the team for disciplinary reasons. They probably thought we'd cruise to a series win after the promising India series and have panicked and back peddled on the O'Keefe stuff.

Could miss the summer. Having surgery which has a 5-6 month recovery time.

Then Nevill will do for the Ashes. Nevill won't let us down, can't score any less than Wade and is a better keeper.

I'd like to see Cartwright bat higher, he bats 3 for his state we dropped our number 3 for him, he won't be doing much bowling... I think he should bat in the top 4 depending on where Smith wants to bat himself...

Whiteman isn't even next in line, not even sure why there's talk of him when he's been pretty ordinary for a couple of years now. Carey was selected for the Aus A tour and while he's not ready yet they'd go with him before Whiteman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back