2nd Test - Bangladesh vs Australia @ Chittagong

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't stand Ravi Ashwin and he will probably never bowl well here but I can't see Lyon being quite as good as him. Herath is the other id have ahead of him. After that I don't see why he wouldn't be rated next in line alongside Yasir Shah

Yeah, so he's among the best of his era, and among the best spinners we've ever had, despite some people insisting he's "just average".

It's either the others aren't as good as people think they are (in general with bowlers, people seem to weirdly rate differences in economy that equate to 1 extra run every 3-4 overs way higher than they do strike rate as a measure), or Lyon is actually pretty good and effective himself.

Yeah, so he's among the best of his era, and among the best spinners we've ever had, despite some people insisting he's "just average".

It's either the others aren't as good as people think they are (in general with bowlers, people seem to weirdly rate differences in economy that equate to 1 extra run every 3-4 overs way higher than they do strike rate as a measure), or Lyon is actually pretty good and effective himself.

Contrary to the beliefs of some on this forum, you cannot take 250 Test wickets unless you can bowl.

Best we've ever had is a bit of an exaggeration.

Aggregate wise perhaps.

Grimmett, O'Reilly, Benaud, Johnson, Johnston, Warne, Mallett, Macgill, Trumble - we've had some good ones.

Lyon to Taijul Islam, OUT, arm ball smashes off stump out. Slides this one through, good length ball outside off, and it's quite a sight if you're a bowler. Stumps in all sorts of trouble. This is the highest match-haul by an Australian in Asia
Taijul Islam b Lyon 4 (32m 32b 0x4 0x6) SR: 12.50

Apparently Lyon does indeed have an arm ball according to cricinfo.

I can't stand Ravi Ashwin and he will probably never bowl well here but I can't see Lyon being quite as good as him. Herath is the other id have ahead of him. After that I don't see why he wouldn't be rated next in line alongside Yasir Shah

Really? I like him. He is a great student of the game and he's doing really well in England for Worcs.

Lyon to Taijul Islam, OUT, arm ball smashes off stump out. Slides this one through, good length ball outside off, and it's quite a sight if you're a bowler. Stumps in all sorts of trouble. This is the highest match-haul by an Australian in Asia

By my count he has got Taijul 3 times with the arm ball this series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cricinfo also refer to Sok as an all-rounder.....

Does the batting team get an extra half hour similar to the bowlers getting it if there is only a wicket or two left?

pretty sure there's a rule that if the game can end with an extra 30 minutes, that they keep on playing

I thought so but can't for the life of me remember it being used when the team batting is nearing victory, only ever when the bowling side needs a couple of wickets.

Poorest series for Smith in a while? And against one of the most unlikely sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back