Game Day 2nds: Sandy vs Geelong @ Simmons Stadium From 2pm on CH7

Remove this Banner Ad

If Membrey was 193 he'd be leading the Coleman
One thing that Skunk has that I don't think Josh has is a really good vertical leap, which helps offset a lot of his lack of height.

He's reportedly got one of the best standing vertical leaps at the club, so yeah, if he was 193cm and still had that leap he'd be a serious handful.

I don't think Josh has anywhere near as good a leap as Tim though, so for that reason, the more he's able to grow, the better, IMO.

A mixture of reasons I'd say.

In no particular order:

He tested pretty badly for agility and maybe speed, apparently, so some clubs may have been put off that, even though there has been talk that he had an ankle injury during the combine.

The height thing I've been talking about. Clubs these days want them to be around 195cm at least for them to be considered "KPP's", I believe, so they probably saw Josh as more of a "3rd-tall" and they aren't as willing to spend up big on them.

There have been some rumours going around that he didn't necessarily interview that well, but whether that's true or not is not an answer I have.

Apparently some clubs didn't want to draft someone who had a year of schooling left, particularly interstate clubs (think Josh might have told them he wouldn't relocate until he'd graduated).

Thats right, told Dockers he was happy to go any where but would be finishing year 12

Really like the mature way rice plays his footy, strong smart and a really nice kick. Just bit worried he doesn't have the pace and a bit in between size at afl level.

Side note number 50 for sandy did some good things.

Peter Jackson VFL 2017

Geelong 4.2 5.5 8.7 13.8 (86)
Sandringham 2.4 7.9 12.14 16.17 (113)

GOALS:
Geelong: Black 3 Guthrie 2 Webb 2 Dobson 2 Henry Kol Reid Berry
Sandringham: Battle 4 Connellan 3 Weller 2 Fisscher 2 Answerth McKenzie Hickey Atkins Bailey

BEST:
Geelong: Reid Thurlow Tsitas Black House Guthrie
Sandringham: O'Kearney Atkins Hickey Weller White Fisscher

One thing that Skunk has that I don't think Josh has is a really good vertical leap, which helps offset a lot of his lack of height.

He's reportedly got one of the best standing vertical leaps at the club, so yeah, if he was 193cm and still had that leap he'd be a serious handful.

I don't think Josh has anywhere near as good a leap as Tim though, so for that reason, the more he's able to grow, the better, IMO.
I was surprised at how well he moved today a couple of side steps really good below his knees and covered a lot of ground

I was surprised at how well he moved today a couple of side steps really good below his knees and covered a lot of ground

That's how he played as a junior which is why it's surprising his agility was poor. He looks like a tall small forward at times.

That's how he played as a junior which is why it's surprising his agility was poor. He looks like a tall small forward at times.
I know his ankle was stuffed for draft testing, he just ran all day today and seems to have a good footy brain

Really like the mature way rice plays his footy, strong smart and a really nice kick. Just bit worried he doesn't have the pace and a bit in between size at afl level.

Richard Atkins. Agree.

Named in the bests (by the VFL site) and kicked a goal. Campaigner.

I thought Kade Answerth was close to our best. Hard at it all day.
Reckon he, Armo and Hickey nailed the clearances.

Last edited:
Trade our first pick this to Collingwood and mccartin for 2x first rounders next year and a second rounder back? Just a hypothetical what would we think if that happened ?

Vomit

Is it school holidays again already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's bizarre isn't it. We clearly got a little lucky with him falling to that pick 39! The obsession with stats and numbers can be absurd- paralysis by analysis!!
Analysis is how teams find out who is elite in what categories and who isn't... Battle may well look spectacular in the VFL when everyone is moving at a pace he can handle but at afl...? We saw last week. He's slow, struggles to turn, has a bad leap and is a bit too short for that leap to be acceptable. Will be interesting to see if he is capable of moving from a damn good VFL player to any sort of AFL player.

Peter Jackson VFL 2017

Geelong 4.2 5.5 8.7 13.8 (86)
Sandringham 2.4 7.9 12.14 16.17 (113)

GOALS:
Geelong: Black 3 Guthrie 2 Webb 2 Dobson 2 Henry Kol Reid Berry
Sandringham: Battle 4 Connellan 3 Weller 2 Fisscher 2 Answerth McKenzie Hickey Atkins Bailey

BEST:
Geelong: Reid Thurlow Tsitas Black House Guthrie
Sandringham: O'Kearney Atkins Hickey Weller White Fisscher

Who was the ponytail kid for Geelong? He looked pretty good.

Analysis is how teams find out who is elite in what categories and who isn't... Battle may well look spectacular in the VFL when everyone is moving at a pace he can handle but at afl...? We saw last week. He's slow, struggles to turn, has a bad leap and is a bit too short for that leap to be acceptable. Will be interesting to see if he is capable of moving from a damn good VFL player to any sort of AFL player.
Jack Gunston and Jack Darling say hello

I really liked the game of Ray Connellan.
The Irishman seems to be improving as the season goes on.
Beau Bailey played a great first game as well.
Both maybe not in the Best Players,but done some good things when needed

There are exceptions to every rule, and I would contend that what Battle apparently lacks in sheer athleticism he seems to already be making up in pure footballing ability and nous. That said, I do agree that numbers always tell a story and have their rightful place in footy- I just don't think we always have to pigeon-hole players because of what the numbers say necessarily.

Who was the ponytail kid for Geelong? He looked pretty good.
Ben Reid
ReidB.jpg

Height: 184cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 5th September 1992
Recruited From: Echuca
2017 Interchange Club: Grovedale (GFL)

Profile:
The younger brother of GWS’ Sam Reid, Ben had a successful year in 2016 where he represented the VCFL at senior level and won Echuca’s senior best and fairest. He is a half-back flanker who reads the play well. Reid has played 37 senior games at Echuca Football Club and has established himself as a quality backman. Will play at Grovedale Football Club in the GFL when not playing for the Cats.

http://m.geelongcats.com.au/football/vfl/vfl-list

Ben Reid
ReidB.jpg

Height: 184cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 5th September 1992
Recruited From: Echuca
2017 Interchange Club: Grovedale (GFL)

Profile:
The younger brother of GWS’ Sam Reid, Ben had a successful year in 2016 where he represented the VCFL at senior level and won Echuca’s senior best and fairest. He is a half-back flanker who reads the play well. Reid has played 37 senior games at Echuca Football Club and has established himself as a quality backman. Will play at Grovedale Football Club in the GFL when not playing for the Cats.

http://m.geelongcats.com.au/football/vfl/vfl-list
Allow the intrusion,

What an interesting situation.

Be have already brothers Reid: Ben and Sam

So we saying we might get another set of brothers Reid: Ben and Sam

X2 fantastic

No 50 caught my eye as well every game this year. Got a bit of assie jones about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back