Autopsy 3/4 Dogs (5.4.34), 4Q Port (11.12.78) - Rd 19, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet another second half fadeout, last quarter ANOTHER scoreless quarter for the season.

Too many passengers not ready to play week in, week out. 13 players on the field couldn’t crack double digit possessions & find a way to get involved, 10 Bulldogs.

On the bright side, doesn’t appear to be any injuries suffered. That will mean it might be a shock to some later in the week when we have a few ruled out for stress related leg/foot injuries.

One week closer to the end of 2018.

That was bad on so many levels.

The good: Macrae......daylight...Bont, McLean, Dunkley, Hunter got a lot of it, but he just blindly bombs it. I agree with others, he doesn’t hurt opposition just hurts us. Trengove was very good in the ruck. Naughton’s last quarter was good. Greene showed some signs.

The bad: selling home games to Ballarat. The coaches again getting out coached. JJ, softest player in the AFL. Partly the coaches’ fault for playing him forward, doesn’t have 1% forward craft, but he offered nothing. Caleb Daniel, what does he offer us going forward? Honeychurch should not get a game for Carlton or Gold Coast let alone a run of games for us. I know we have injuries but gee whiz. Our lack of marking forward of the Centre/Wings, terrible. Has to be addressed now that we have an abundance of talls, it’s deplorable. Our lack of link up play, what has happened to this? We didn’t look damaging at any point today when we moved the ball.

There are probably a nunber of players that dont care about this season anymore going by the lack of effort

I actually thought the effort wasn’t the issue today. If we could have got a goal before 3Qt could have been a different result.

Trengove showed what he can do as a ruckman. Really helped us not get obliterated at the contest. Macrae, Dunkley, Bont, Hunter worked hard and kept us in it. Crozier reads the ball really well and was useful by foot today.

Eventually we’re going to have to drop 1-2 of the KPD and ask the ones remaining to beat their man. The KPD-by-collective strategy isn’t working as a defensive strategy and it is totally undermining our ball movement.

Roberts, Cordy, Naughton, Adams and Morris are offensive liabilities that don’t offer any attacking spread, rendering us painstakingly slow coming out of defence and incapable of finding space or hitting a target between the arcs.

• JJ was embarrassing
  • Efforts to defend Dixon were embarrassing.
  • Choosing 5 KPD’s was also a terrible call.
  • Polec absolutely killed us. Surely we should have played someone like Biggs instead of one of the KPD’s. Particularly in blistery and wet conditions.
  • The Honeychurch experiment is a never ending nightmare that just won’t go away.
  • Trengove is a much better ruckman than defender. Why was he even moved out of the ruck after playing the entire JLT series in the position ?

i hate being negative but we are currently watching the worst dogs squad i can remember. I mean i was young in 2000-2005 era but this is pathetic.

when you play guys like Daniel and Honey who are currently both uncompetitive in the air and not making up for it in other areas it hurts.

but then when you add in the fact that Lynch, Lipinski, Greene and Schache are all physically ill equipped to play the standard and not making up for it with effort.

so there's 16 guys we have left. you've got 4 tall defenders and 2 below average ruck men.

honestly it's pathetic. i understand we've had bad injury luck but f*** me it's impossible to watch.

makes it harder to stomach that Dahlhaus did not play to his abilities since the flag.

we'll get guys back but we're far from the deep and promising outfit we were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not disturbed by it. Half the best 22 out, crap weather and nothing to play for.

Bont and Macrae good, Trengove played one of the best by a Dogs ruckman this year. Crozier battled hard all day. Dunkley got a lot of it.

Some of our young ones are looking shot. Richards, Lynch and Lipinski are cooked for this season but it’s worth playing them. I think we’ll be better for having pumped games into the above plus English, Gowers and Naughton.

Roberts and Honey will probably only play a few more games in the ones. Sort of sad but they showed why they are where they are.

Hi All. Wasted a weekend coming up to this dump of a place. Not sure what the future holds in 10 years. Probably relocated by the AFL. Been a member since 1984 so am not a one hit wonder. Have been thru the good and bad times. Cried when there in 16 at the g. Love my footy but gee l am confused where our club is heading.
Starts at the top with Gordon and his silence since 2016 to high staff turnover. Coaching stuctures, list management and game plan, medical and fitness staff etc.etc. . All of this is cyclic however my biggest concern at the moment is players with low skills and no confidence. Watching from the stand today we seem to have no structure or real game plan. Injuries are blamed but it doesnt cut it for the lack of effort and passion in the club shown by the players wearing the jumper.
Marcus Adams looks like Tarzan plays like jane including having no footy smarts.
Lachie Hunter gets it a lot but doesnt hurt the opposition, constantly goes backwards as first option.
Honeychurch lets not go there
Roughy thanks but bye
Crozier and Trengrove who have been bagged on here were 2 showing actual enthusiasm and passion.If there is a game plan please let me know

I am up here with some mates ,all long time dogs members all concerned what the future holds. We are all fifty plus and have now become Storm members as well. Dont understand the technical side of the game but at least you can see a game plan and the coaches and players appear to be united as a group and are passionate.
So Bevo please dont do your members message as a feel good story repeated add nauseum , Tell it how it is. Tell us us the plan for the future.
Otherwise your going to be another 8 Gold memberships down.
Can handle losing. Being a dogs supporter teaches you that. We cannot handle no heart and soul and passion.
A big hello to JJ on the last line,
Stay warm folks. More Bourbon please

What actually was the game plan today? We kicked it straight down the line on the far side all day. Not once did we even consider switching it. Just bizarre coaching

Players you can definitely put a line through:

Roarke Smith
Mitch Honeychurch
Fletcher Roberts
Tom Campbell
Jordan Roughead

Players who need to have a good end to the season/might not be fully cognisant of the position they’re in:

Caleb Daniel

Why is anyone upset about today?

Bottom 2 team playing top 8.

Won’t win another game for the year

Well we have suffered through far worse periods than this one. Harden Up.
Harden up? Am I allowed to state that we’re currently pathetic? I’ll still watch next week and looks for the positives but today there were some glaring bad points.

Liked Bont, Hunter, Trengove, all very good games

Let's get some perspective. We were out played but were still pretty competitive for three quarters. Unfortunately the last quarter was so depressingly bad as we fell away that it's the abiding memory of the game.

It's a familiar story but it shows that even with half our first 22 on the sidelines we can match it for lengthy periods with top 8 sides. Playing four quarters against much bigger and older opponents is our biggest problem. The conditions certainly favoured Port over the four quarters. Playing a bunch of undernourished 18-20 yos against seasoned players was always going to be a challenge in those conditions.

Some observations:
  • We have NO discernible forward system. By that I mean the forward structures plus the plans to deliver it into the 50. We will no doubt debate whether it's the personnel or the coaches but we looked clueless. Just bang it forward and hope that someone can fluke a free or a mark or that it might just fall to a loose player (it never did).
  • Port played the conditions much better than we did. Much better K:HB ratio. Knew when to play in front. Marked better. Kept shoving the ball forward. Better positioning and attack on the ball. No surprise considering their greater experience ... just wondering what was said to our boys before the game in that regard?
  • Dunks is becoming a consistent player in the midfield despite his lack of pace. He cracks in and has the physique for the heavy traffic and difficult conditions. He had 27 disposals (17 CPs) and 12 tackles. Let's not forget he's still only 21.
  • By contrast another first year player to get a premiership medallion in '16 has gone backwards. Daniel may have already reached his ceiling. He and Bevo need to have a good think about reviving his game and what he can contribute in 2019 because it's certainly not happening for him in 2018.
  • Naughton did really well in the conditions. Impressive from a first year player, even if he did shank a few.
  • Adams had a shocker. I'm prepared to forget anything I see from him this year ... it's been a very forgettable one. We need to see more of his 2016-17 form next year. He was horribly out of position at times and out-manoeuvred at others. Gave away 4 frees as well.
  • Horrible day to debut for Fergus. He did enough to arouse some interest (one of only 5 players to take a CM) but he struggled to get into the game. He's probably not going to be a 20 possession player but if he gets 12 disposals and kicks 2-3 goals each week I'll be a happy man. Forget today - let's see how he goes at Etihad.
  • In fact nearly all our lighter-bodied players struggled. Richards tried hard but couldn't get a handle on the ball. Lynch was rarely sighted. Honey only started to get a bit of it in the second half. Daniel and JJ looked lost in the heavy traffic. Only Crozier, McLean and Hunter showed a bit. Gowers would have been handy today.
  • The AFL must never again schedule Ballarat games for 3:20 on a Sunday in the middle of winter. Ludicrous.
Not too many positives from the game. I thought Trengove, Dunkley, Macrae and Crozier were among our best. Nice to see the Bont back and doing some handy things. Lipinski was better this week. He's not a big accumulator but uses it well ... another who will look a whole lot better in a stronger side.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back