Autopsy 3/4 Dogs (5.4.34), 4Q Port (11.12.78) - Rd 19, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t the best game but at least we stuck in it for quite a while. Disappointing that we let the lead blow out in the last

Very happy to see Trengove in the ruck. Played really well there in the preseason and it’s about time we gave him a go there. I understand that he had to fill the KPD role when Adams and Morris were out but he should’ve swung back into the ruck when they returned from injury. Think he is our best ruck option while English continues to develop. The other recruit, Crozier, had another solid game. Had a slow start to the season but his last six weeks have been really good and he’s tracking nicely.

Dixon killing us was frustrating again. Every team seem to handle him fine except us. Adams had a stinker but not ready to throw him out like a lot here seem to. He’ll be back better but he was bad today. Thought Naughton was the best of the defenders. Kicking still needs a lot of work but he’s very good at everything else.

Dunkley impressed again in midfield. Macrae racked them up again and Bontempelli had some good moments. Hunter tried hard as always. Morris is Morris. Not much to say about the rest, was a tough day for a lot of the kids. Would the 2016 Caleb Daniel please return.

Apparently the reserves where training on the next ground over and a few people said Jong was moving really well so he might be in line for a recall.

Last edited:

In my opinion, the key area that we are falling down in is offensive running.

How often did any of our players break into a genuine sprint today?
Most of our top speed running was chasing after opponents.

We should recover well tomorrow because most of boys jogged their way through the game.
That isn't to say they didn't try. They just didn't work hard enough and in the right areas.

When we have the ball we are forced to kick to too many contests. We rarely get to deliver the ball towards a target with genuine separation.

Too many of our players are playing with a defensive mindset.
Having so many young/fringe players naturally leads to this type of attitude, because they are more worried about screwing up than they are about not attacking enough. They are too worried about the risk, and not excited enough about the reward. This attitude needs to change.

Fitness is also obviously an issue, and if I was one of the fitness staff, I'd be a bit worried about my job.

In my opinion, the key area that we are falling down in is offensive running.

How often did any of our players break into a genuine sprint today?
Most of our top speed running was chasing after opponents.

We should recover well tomorrow because most of boys jogged their way through the game.
That isn't to say they didn't try. They just didn't work hard enough and in the right areas.

When we have the ball we are forced to kick to too many contests. We rarely get to deliver the ball towards a target with genuine separation.

Too many of our players are playing with a defensive mindset.
Having so many young/fringe players naturally leads to this type of attitude, because they are more worried about screwing up than they are about not attacking enough. They are too worried about the risk, and not excited enough about the reward. This attitude needs to change.

Fitness is also obviously an issue, and if I was one of the fitness staff, I'd be a bit worried about my job.

How good would a win be? I don't care if it's Carlton or St Kilda or whoever, a win would be brilliant.

I've never been like this ever (2014, 2003-04 and 96), but I'm finding our matches a little boring and the outcome (ie fade outs) depressingly predictable.

Hate this feeling. Really hate it. Hope footy is fun again soon.

Midfield frequency stats for the match. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces.

There were 18 bounces

Dunkley 18
Macrae 15
Hunter 15 wing
Wallis 10
Bont 8
Lipinski 6 wing
Johannisen 6 wing
Richards 6 wing
McLean 3
Honeychurch 2 wing
Daniel 1 wing

Rucks:
Trengove 13
Roughead 5

Notes:
- Dunkley (87% game time) becomes the 3rd inside mid in an analysed game this season to attend every bounce for a match after Taylor Adams and Patrick Cripps.
- Bontempelli just eased back in post surgery - his 2nd lowest starts ever in an analysed game after Rd 17, 2017 when he predominately played as a marking forward
- Lowest starts for McLean in an analysed match (when playing) since Rd 11, 2016.
- Lipinski largely dropped from starting on the wing after half time

Yes because he’d been so good for the previous two. We could really use another player who doesn’t jump at the ball blows up after about 50 seconds and just waits out the back for a joe the goose.

(He hasn’t even be that good this year Gowers stats in his first year of AFL are similar, he just lays a tackle every now and then and Bombers supporters cream their pants over it.)
The Gower comparison stat wise was made about a month ago, Billy hasn’t gotten near it since then in his last 3 games so not sure it still stacks up.

He’s badly out of form. He’s at his best when we’re smashing sides in the clearances and he can link up. This is going to sound harsh but I think he avoids psychical contact and it’s getting noticeable.

We won’t get anything for him now. He’s very young and we know what his best is like. I think Hunter is suffering for the same reason to some extent (even if he’s getting a lot of disposals). Best to hold on to them - when we’re up and about again they’ll be good.

Is this part of Bev's plan we are not aware of?

the_fortune_teller.gif

Marks inside forward 50 were like gold in those conditions and we got a lesson from Dixon in how to do it. Schache did some good things but seems happy with that and fades out for long periods. I know conditions didn't suit but i thought his effort for large periods of the game was poor.

Jj's effort was pathetic and he should not be made captain again. I hope Bev makes a statement and drops him. don't care if there are no replacements, playing one short would highlight the issue and the message would surely get through. Get us some column inches in the newspapers again too.

Macrae, Trengove and Crozier good, Hunter gets a lot of it but never any guarantee one of our guys will get the next possession. Dunkley played a good game but i never realised he was that slow. Greene started well but was too tough a game for a guy of his size and few preseasons. Same for Lipinski I guess but i am not as sold on him as others on this forum are. Hopefully his workrate and involvements increase as his tank does. Richards has had a coupe of fumbly games in a row and as another poster said it is a shame he can't get a week off but together with Naughton he is the reason to keep watching and look forward to better times next year.

did anyone else think it was Morris' worst game for a decade? It was so un-Morris like and highlighted how essential he is to the whole performance of our backline.

Well we have suffered through far worse periods than this one. Harden Up.
It's easy to trot out this line that we've had much worse periods than this but struggling to get past 5 wins for a season suggests otherwise.
Despite that fact we have a lot of injuries we are undoubtedly at a very low ebb. The only ting that suggests we are not a basket case is that we seem solid off-field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to trot out this line that we've had much worse periods than this but struggling to get past 5 wins for a season suggests otherwise.
Despite that fact we have a lot of injuries we are undoubtedly at a very low ebb. The only ting that suggests we are not a basket case is that we seem solid off-field.
I wouldn’t call 43,000 members solid off field. 2nd worse membership in Victoria is a real worry 2 years after a flag. Real worry

I wouldn’t call 43,000 members solid off field. 2nd worse membership in Victoria is a real worry 2 years after a flag. Real worry

Really? In 1987 we had only 3,452 members, and that was 2 years removed from a team that made a preliminary final (and could have won if Leigh Matthews had stayed on the bench).

Considering where this club has been in the past (on the brink of extinction), 43,000 members is amazing.

Surely JJ needs to get played through the middle or off half back when the game is on the line like that. Sitting him up forward doesn't do us any favours I would have thought. Maybe he is carrying an injury but it seemed odd to me. Most players lowered their colours. We had a few stand outs too. From the lesser lights, it was nice to see Dunkley get some decent numbers again and a debut goal from Greene. Lippi showed a bit I thought and Trengove was good. We look depleted though. Not really a team of AFL standard players (though most may become that in future).

Jj's effort was pathetic and he should not be made captain again. I hope Bev makes a statement and drops him. don't care if there are no replacements, playing one short would highlight the issue and the message would surely get through. Get us some column inches in the newspapers again too.

HS 30th July 2018

upload_2018-7-30_11-36-43.png

Hard to make much from this game. 20 of the 22 players showed a little something just not for a sustained period. Effort was there.

Think in all honesty JJ is in trouble and has been since the Swans roughed him up. Not sure where he will fit in if he is not allowed space off half back.

Honeychurch, love the intensity and effort week after week, just not at the required level unfortunately

Anybody else worried big time for next season if Morris doesn't go for another season?

We rely on him massively.
No, it's time to move on. Defenders who have sole focus on their opponent and are very safe with their disposal belong
in another era. One of the commentators yesterday said at 33 he should have some football left and then shut up very
quickly when another said he was 36 at the end of next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back