Player Watch #3 Christian Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't he kick anymore? I'm not writing him off, will be a star if we get him right, but he's not contributing to the team in any valuable way on current form.
He kicked something recently that was a reminder. It was a goal off his left boot. I otherwise didn't notice him much in the game, but it was seriously breathtaking class that bought him some further time in my book. I wish I could recall which game. Richmond maybe? Now I'll have to watch them all again to work out where it was I saw this.

He's reminding of Yze with his avoidance of contact.

He picks and chooses.

There was an incident in Q3 on Sunday where he needed to take possession and find a team mate quickly, instead he slapped the ball forward to a contest.

Has a big future but needs to go when it's his turn, work harder both defensively and in demanding the football.

He's reminding of Yze with his avoidance of contact.

He picks and chooses.

There was an incident in Q3 on Sunday where he needed to take possession and find a team mate quickly, instead he slapped the ball forward to a contest.

Has a big future but needs to go when it's his turn, work harder both defensively and in demanding the football.
Yep. Loved the Ooze but he always had the lingering smell of unrecognised potential in my eyes.

Yep. Loved the Ooze but he always had the lingering smell of unrecognised potential in my eyes.
Is there any player for us in the modern era that recognised their potential?

I've often said the same about Leigh Matthews. What could have been...

I reckon Yze is being undersold here, sure he probably could have got a little more out of his career but Salem is no where near a quarter of the skill level of Yze yet they just have a similar kicking action

Don't forget the goal from the boundary line in the 2002 Semi final, and in that game commentators up until then where saying he was having an ordinary game

I reckon Yze is being undersold here, sure he probably could have got a little more out of his career but Salem is no where near a quarter of the skill level of Yze yet they just have a similar kicking action

If Salem gets near Yzes level he will star, he'll have A grade inside mids feeding him uncontested possessions. I'd kill for the Ooze on the HBF right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really surprised he was dropped this week - but it's a very strong message from the coaches that he needs to do more.

Really surprised he was dropped this week - but it's a very strong message from the coaches that he needs to do more.
I think it's a well timed wake up call. He seems to have drank the cool aid that all he has to do is kick it nicely out of defence and job done. You've got to beat your man first and foremost. Last week he was running around at 70%. Good call by Roos I reckon. Question is will it be one week or a month?..

I think it's a well timed wake up call. He seems to have drank the cool aid that all he has to do is kick it nicely out of defence and job done. You've got to beat your man first and foremost. Last week he was running around at 70%. Good call by Roos I reckon. Question is will it be one week or a month?..

Not sure about the cool aid thing. Looks hesitant about his role more than arrogantly just not working hard enough. I do agree that some time in the twos could do him good. Hopefully he finds really strong form in the next few weeks and comes back on the wing where he can really attack.

I'll be really interested to see how he's used in the VFL. Will he be a small/mid defender or will he be used through the midfield/wings? That's where I want him playing long-term (mid/wings, not VFL....)

Paul roos is really being brutal on the standards this year and I'm loving it
I've wanted Garland and Salem dropped for not doing enough and he's done it and also dropped Dunn Frost etc
Agree. It's great to put decent players on notice (as opposed to how many spuds do we have to cope with this week).

Still think there might be some unknown backstory re Dunn. He is our best option in his position if even playing half well, but he has melted out of the senior player group, and barely appeared. I think there is some kind of thing - but no idea what.

Talking footy just broke a story saying that Salem has had a relapse of his thyroid problem. At worst could sideline him to 6 - 8 months. Club is confident it isn't that bad, but he will be out of the side for a bit none the less

Talking footy just broke a story saying that Salem has had a relapse of his thyroid problem. At worst could sideline him to 6 - 8 months. Club is confident it isn't that bad, but he will be out of the side for a bit none the less

Man, that is awful. I'd give up on 2016 for Christian and just let him recover fully and hopefully build into 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back