Player Watch #3: Christian Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this a prediction or a challenge to Salem? My guess is a little of both.
bit of both I'm sure - but I get the impression he is genuine. I think the people actually at the club are more understanding then supporters sometimes are of the challenges of managing his medical condition - for a good while there he just couldn't participate in so many training activities because of the ridiculously accelerated heart-rate with any exertion. I'm excited about the new, improved Salem. Its like having a whole new round one pick which is nice given the 25 that we paid for Lever or whatever it was.

bit of both I'm sure - but I get the impression he is genuine. I think the people actually at the club are more understanding then supporters sometimes are of the challenges of managing his medical condition - for a good while there he just couldn't participate in so many training activities because of the ridiculously accelerated heart-rate with any exertion. I'm excited about the new, improved Salem. Its like having a whole new round one pick which is nice given the 25 that we paid for Lever or whatever it was.
I can’t wait until Weideman reaches ‘new first round pick’ quality

I can’t wait until Weideman reaches ‘new first round pick’ quality
He's going to be under some pressure, because I have him lined up as representing our new first round pick for the superdraft.

Might be his biggest critic on the board but if he continues that game on the weekend for the rest of the season I'll change my mind on him

He was tough, he used it well and he stood up in the 3rd when we needed him.
I thought he mixed the balance between inside and outside well and to get 8 clearances was brilliant.

Needs to back it up but that was his best game at the club by the Flemington straight.

Might be his biggest critic on the board but if he continues that game on the weekend for the rest of the season I'll change my mind on him

I thought he mixed the balance between inside and outside well and to get 8 clearances was brilliant.

Needs to back it up but that was his best game at the club by the Flemington straight.

I reckon he’s had a few games like that mate.

He will be a good player for us.

Yeah lol that definitely wasn’t his best game. But promising signs, had been lousy in 2018. I actually don’t mind him at the centre bounces. Reckon he’s as talented as anyone from his draft, just very laconic

In my humble opinion he hasn't had a more influential game. He's gotten behind the ball before and kicked nicely but he mixed inside and outside perfectly and stood up in the 3rd when the game was hot. To me that was his best all around game.

Salam has been playing a different role for us this year. He's always been that outside flanker type running into space getting the uncontested ball. This year he seems to be playing in the centre square as a more inside mid and I think he just struggled over the first 2 games in a new role.

Over his first 46 games he never once had more contested possies than uncontested.
Averaging 4.3 contested, 10.5 uncontested

All 3 games this year he's had more contested footy than uncontested, averaging 10 contested 5 uncontested. Equalling his best 3 clearances in round 1 with 3 and getting a career best of 8 on the weekend.

Learning a new role and I expect him to struggle at times, but if he can get that inside outside balance he'll be a good player for us, and we saw on the weekend what he can do.

Salam has been playing a different role for us this year. He's always been that outside flanker type running into space getting the uncontested ball. This year he seems to be playing in the centre square as a more inside mid and I think he just struggled over the first 2 games in a new role.

Over his first 46 games he never once had more contested possies than uncontested.
Averaging 4.3 contested, 10.5 uncontested

All 3 games this year he's had more contested footy than uncontested, averaging 10 contested 5 uncontested. Equalling his best 3 clearances in round 1 with 3 and getting a career best of 8 on the weekend.

Learning a new role and I expect him to struggle at times, but if he can get that inside outside balance he'll be a good player for us, and we saw on the weekend what he can do.

I think you're backing up my view on him. So thank you :p

He kicks it beautifully.
As a lead up forward he's exactly what you'd want. Weights the ball nicely for the forward to lead into.
Is pretty tough IMO and just needs some continuity. Is one of those players who'll benefit from us getting better as a side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was fantastic on the weekend, in stark contrast to the first two rounds.

To be fair he's only just coming into game 50 of his career now and has been set back with illness. Games 50-100 is where he will be judged for consistency of output and based on Saturday I think he'll make it just fine.

The problem with Christian is that he has two average games for every excellent game. This needs to change to two good games for every excellent. An example of someone who is there now, but wasn't previously, is Garlett.

He reminds me a lot of Tyson - they both hit form then get ******* injured or suspended and lose all momentum.

Salem is by far our classiest mid. We really need to employ a give it to him at all costs strategy. Similar to what the Suns used when Ablett was there.

EDIT: Is anyone else annoyed at all the media attention Majak got for his bump on Lewis but there was no attention given to Salem for his crunching tackle on Daw just seconds later.

I think most of us had written him off. If he comes good, it will be a massive bonus and give the team a cutting edge.

I think most of us had written him off. If he comes good, it will be a massive bonus and give the team a cutting edge.
* no he's the modified version of Yze.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back