Player Watch #3: Christian Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where do we see him playing long term? I think we could get away with him in the back half without Lewis or Vince there, but having all three of those guys in the side means we have three slow players who are very unreliable in a 1on1 situation. I know he has had a lot of body issues and he has never looked that fit this year compared to some of our other players, but I'm prepared to give him a pass there considering his thyroid issues last year. He is a great kick and has composure but athletically he is pretty poor, has been running on the spot late in multiple games this year and whilst he isn't soft at all he isn't particularly strong over the ball.

Where do we see him playing long term? I think we could get away with him in the back half without Lewis or Vince there, but having all three of those guys in the side means we have three slow players who are very unreliable in a 1on1 situation. I know he has had a lot of body issues and he has never looked that fit this year compared to some of our other players, but I'm prepared to give him a pass there considering his thyroid issues last year. He is a great kick and has composure but athletically he is pretty poor, has been running on the spot late in multiple games this year and whilst he isn't soft at all he isn't particularly strong over the ball.

Might start to call him autumn leaves because he spends a lot of time on the ground.
Not impressed with Salem as a footballer at all at the moment, he goes to ground making tackles and gets stepped around easily. When he has pressure on him he tends to stick out a leg instead of taking the pressure. He isn't strong over head at all and is poor 1 on 1.

Beautiful kick when he has space but that's all at the moment

Might start to call him autumn leaves because he spends a lot of time on the ground.
Not impressed with Salem as a footballer at all at the moment, he goes to ground making tackles and gets stepped around easily. When he has pressure on him he tends to stick out a leg instead of taking the pressure. He isn't strong over head at all and is poor 1 on 1.

Beautiful kick when he has space but that's all at the moment

Thing is he played midfield in JLT and I thought looked really good, then gets shuffled back onto the HBF and his performances are erratic at best.

Thing is he played midfield in JLT and I thought looked really good, then gets shuffled back onto the HBF and his performances are erratic at best.

Been saying since last year I'd rather he get most of his touches forward from Centre. Look at Richmond. Last year they were s**t and cotchin and Martin had most of their touches backward of Centre.

Both of them have now gotten more forward of Centre and Richmond are flying. We are still trying to generate scores by kicking well out of defence and running it or bombing it forward and locking it in. The most important kick still is inside the 50 but we have Salem and Vince stuck in defence wasting their talent

Put him and Trac in the middle. He's a midfielder and we need some variety in there atm. Too many grunt players that lack pace and skill. At least Salem can use it. Put Jones down back. Hes looked ok when given that role. Vince can retire and Lewis I don't know. Maybe get him to sweep Ben Browns legs at the start of each season which means we might have a chance against North and don't need to worry about hiding Lewis on the field somewhere.

Is there a kid who has played for us who has dribbled the ball along the ground as often when kicking? So frustrating

Rohan Bail.

Far out.

This kid is quality - another player who is being unfairly scrutinised for being out of form when missing a period with injury and coming straight into the side.

Half the stuff said about him in this thread is incorrect and based on games where he is off the pace fitness wise.

I have a feeling I'm not the most astute football observer, but all the same I'm gobsmacked to read the word "Toumpas" in a thread about Christian Salem.

Aside from Watts I can't think of any of our players as good with the ball in their hand.

I like Salem but he's slow. You can't put yards on a slow greyhound... he can get fitter which will help a bit but he's never going to be quick. He is a nice kick and I think he's comfortably best 22 when fit. Don't think he'll ever be a star though because he doesn't really do anything exceptionally well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's an exceptionally good kick when he's strung games together, and wasn't soft in the contest until he started getting knocked out in his second year. Was tough as nails going back with the flight in his first season ala Hunt. An interesting exercise in psychology.

He's not mate - lays some ripping tackles.

See, I think he has lost this part of his game. When was the last time you can recall him doing it? I remember his first two years when he took down Goddard who tried to run straight through him, running back with the flights against the Tigers etc. My last memory of a Salem tackle was that pathetic effort vs Impey when we played Port.

See, I think he has lost this part of his game. When was the last time you can recall him doing it? I remember his first two years when he took down Goddard who tried to run straight through him, running back with the flights against the Tigers etc. My last memory of a Salem tackle was that pathetic effort vs Impey when we played Port.

You mean his first game back from injury?

He hasn't lost anything but form, funnily enough form can affect the physical aspect of your game too.

Vs Essendon, ripping tackle sticks out there.

He's not mate - lays some ripping tackles.

Not so much the tackles, I reckon when he is chasing a ball and someone's close to him he will take the tap on or soccer option and even go to ground sometimes. Maybe soft doesn't describe what I ment but I dont think he keeps his feet enough

Not so much the tackles, I reckon when he is chasing a ball and someone's close to him he will take the tap on or soccer option and even go to ground sometimes. Maybe soft doesn't describe what I ment but I dont think he keeps his feet enough

Yeh - have noticed that when its a foot race.

Not attack on the ball though

Maybe a better way to describe it is he is way too smart for himself sometimes when he needs to just do the basic

Maybe - I reckon its your comment about lack of speed when matched on an outside player.

Is worried by it and just something he needs to get better at

I've just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and take back every negative word I have said about Salem. Debilitating condition.
Nasty. I hope it improves for you soon. It’s not pleasant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back