Player Watch #3: Christian Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

Once a game he manages to do something incredibly stupid. The play in the middle when he fell over by himself trying to handball was infuriating. Eventually ends up playing further up the ground IMO you need blokes who can mark and spoil in the back half and it's not his go

Someone (think it was Bartel) compared him to McVeigh. A really calming influence on the side that we really needed. You know he’s going to hit his mark, you know he’s going to release before he is tackled.

I actually really like the comparison.

Someone (think it was Bartel) compared him to McVeigh. A really calming influence on the side that we really needed. You know he’s going to hit his mark, you know he’s going to release before he is tackled.

Roosy iirc who does pump our tires a fair bit but it is good to see Salem get some external recognition. Key contributions in many games.

Yeah it was Jimmy Bartel. I'd get that bloke down to Melbourne for an assistant coaching gig he's easily the most intelligent special comments man at the moment.

Yeah it was Jimmy Bartel. I'd get that bloke down to Melbourne for an assistant coaching gig he's easily the most intelligent special comments man at the moment.
I think someone in the commentary on Sunday asked Bartel if he had considered coaching after another one of his insightful comments. Silence from Bartel followed.

I think someone in the commentary on Sunday asked Bartel if he had considered coaching after another one of his insightful comments. Silence from Bartel followed.

Some of the ex players like Ling and Richo have never said anything I considered remotely intelligent in commentary but Bartel always grabs my attention. Outside David King probably adds the most tactical insight.

Some of the ex players like Ling and Richo have never said anything I considered remotely intelligent in commentary but Bartel always grabs my attention. Outside David King probably adds the most tactical insight.
King is the best at tactical insight, he gets an unfair wrap imo.

Ling just says the ******* obvious and Richo is a buffon

King is the best at tactical insight, he gets an unfair wrap imo.

Ling just says the ******* obvious and Richo is a buffon

He's the only commentator who can add more than ' they need more outside class and legspeed'

It's horrifically bad in Australia but he is trying his best to introduce actual tactical analysis

I don't mind Richo and Lingy personally. On Free To Air i don't think we need deep tactical analysis, Same with Mathews. Sometimes things just need to be simplified

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind Richo and Lingy personally. On Free To Air i don't think we need deep tactical analysis, Same with Mathews. Sometimes things just need to be simplified

Richo is a larrikin. Cameron ling IMO is the most lifeless s**t campaigner out there. Every time there's a bump he feels the need to spend 15 minutes explaining in a motherly tone why it's bad for society but he does it in a patronizing way like he's talking to children.

King's tactical analysis is very good but his issue is he's prone to regular stupid statements, the worst being his claim earlier this year that Carlon were closer to a premiership than Collingwood...

Jonathan Brown, Nick Riewoldt and Matthew Lloyd I quite like listening to breaking down a game as well.

King's tactical analysis is very good but his issue is he's prone to regular stupid statements, the worst being his claim earlier this year that Carlon were closer to a premiership than Collingwood...

Jonathan Brown, Nick Riewoldt and Matthew Lloyd I quite like listening to breaking down a game as well.

I enjoyed Brown's little segment where he showed how Hogan was leading poorly and not creating space for team mates. You just done see that kind of analysis often enough

So he has met him. Or "reached out".

If you want to argue semantics go nuts, facts are Goodwin organised it not Hogan and he hasn't done anything since. He should be meeting with him as often as he can to learn about forward craft, not just Carey either but any gun forward who will give their time. His forward craft looks worse than the 18 year old who walked in and I'd bet it's because it's more of a general training at AFL rather than alot of specialized stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back