Player Watch #3: Christian Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

His 1v1 defending is now top class, I've got no idea where its come from, never pictured him to be a reliable defensive player (capable of winning the 1 on1's more often than he loses them), he reminds me a bit of Hibbo last year...his last 10 or so weeks are AA standard.

Perfect balance of attack and defense, has an appetite for the contest, plays way harder than his body size would suggest. Will be reaching A Grade status in no time if he isn't there already.... :thumbsu:

Can hold his own defensively and composure and kicking out of defence is important.

Now a good reliable player and possibly has another level or two to go to.

His 1v1 defending is now top class, I've got no idea where its come from, never pictured him to be a reliable defensive player (capable of winning the 1 on1's more often than he loses them), he reminds me a bit of Hibbo last year...his last 10 or so weeks are AA standard.

Perfect balance of attack and defense, has an appetite for the contest, plays way harder than his body size would suggest. Will be reaching A Grade status in no time if he isn't there already.... :thumbsu:

Getting a bit of Nev about him with his ability one on one...

It's interesting to me that he was used as an inside mid before going back into defense.

Thought he could play the outside/wing role that we currently have Jones and Tyson playing.

I think his improvement defensively means they're unlikely to make the switch now.

Has only missed the one game this year, it's pleasing that he's been able to pretty much play a full season having not done that before this year. Happy with his development.
Has chronic illness issues but is otherwise v durable. One of few on our list, along with Oliver, Jetta and OMac, that doesn’t get injured often

Didn’t he have that one season where he did his hammy like 3 times in the same year or something like that?

This season he's been fine. Prior, he's played about half the games on average in his other seasons, so he's actually quite partial to the odd soft tissue injury.

Loving his work this year, particular in the second half of the season. Solid, reliable and hard at it and he's bringing it week in, week out.

He always had ability 1v1 - we saw it in his first couple of games for us.

Loves to bury blokes.

He has cleaned up his kicking lately, Used to try an bullet pass too often and would dribble it along the ground. Seems to be alot more relaxed out there and his vision off HB is very nice. I still think he would be better served up the field but happy to concede he is playing very well where he is.

He has cleaned up his kicking lately, Used to try an bullet pass too often and would dribble it along the ground. Seems to be alot more relaxed out there and his vision off HB is very nice. I still think he would be better served up the field but happy to concede he is playing very well where he is.

Showing some touch as you and I like to say!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some one brought up the kelly for salem and tyson trade the other week. Some saints flog perhaps? We needed to do the trade at the time and sure tyson has been moved on Salem is turning into a very good player.

Some one brought up the kelly for salem and tyson trade the other week. Some saints flog perhaps? We needed to do the trade at the time and sure tyson has been moved on Salem is turning into a very good player.

There is 2 aspects to that trade that need to be dealt with seperately

Did we need to add quantity at the expense of quality? s**t yeah. Tyson almost single handedly dragged us through 2014 and without him that year Roos may have never been able to instill confidence in us

Was a great deal with hindsight? No

But s**t happens, it was a move we had to make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back