Player Watch #3: Christian Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking the same, although it is probably just by his standards.
He set an incredibly high bar but his disposal has been terrible. 1m handballs and bomb kicks. I've been happy to get into Brayshaw but his last 2 weeks have been much better than Oliver's

Um this is salems thread is it not . He has been ******* good so far !. Very good in fact .Mr consistent so far . Proving to be a bargain IMO .

Probably only behind Gawn this year as our most important player, because we don't have anyone that uses the ball like he does as consistently as he does - wouldn't surprise me if other teams start playing a defensive forward on him.

Anyone else concerned Salem is never going to be more than a pretty vanilla B-grader?

He just looks like he’s happy to cruise along like a smart but lazy student happy to get Bs with minimal effort instead of putting in the work to get As.

Will likely be a 200+ gamer but has the talent and skills to be a game breaker.

With Hibberd looking good again vs. the Cats, Rivers showing promise and the club seemingly happy with Lockhart in defence, I’d love Salem to be given a new challenge further up the field and doing damage forward of centre.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone else concerned Salem is never going to be more than a pretty vanilla B-grader?

He just looks like he’s happy to cruise along like a smart but lazy student happy to get Bs with minimal effort instead of putting in the work to get As.

With Hibberd looking good again vs. the Cats, Rivers showing promise and the club seemingly happy with Lockhart in defence, I’d love Salem to be given a new challenge further up the field and doing damage forward of centre.

Not a b grader, C at best. Bog ordinary footballer with a pretty kicking style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he's already a pretty well proven player, is a little out of form currently but still a solid contributor when not at the top of his game.

He's been an important player for us the last 2-3 years.

I reckon he's already a pretty well proven player, is a little out of form currently but still a solid contributor when not at the top of his game.

He's been an important player for us the last 2-3 years.

Yeah he’s far from our biggest issue but he should be impacting games far more consistently. Looks like he could lift another level (or two) but is happy being a slightly above average player.

Would love the coaches to throw him a new challenge in the middle or even a forward flank.

Really well articulated, completely agree. And it's such a shame. This is where Goody as a Coach frustrates me - is he driving players like Salem to be better and do more?? Feel like Petracca's emergence is self-driven more than anything.

I'm a big Salem fan and absolutely agree. Like old mate TK has been saying he is wasted in defence. FMD he even showed far more playing on the ball in patches in 2017 than he is down back.
I don't think he's necessarily a soft footballer, but he plays a very gentle style and seems to want to avoid contact at times. Perhaps he needs to go onball a bit to get some confidence. But to run around yesterday, get 11 disposals and only 8 pressure acts exemplifies where our team is at.

When things are going well, they look like Hollywood movie stars, but when it comes to getting their hands dirty when things are tough, they roll over quicker than a labrador with a ball.

So what's the answer? It's a career that's into its 7th year, approaching 100 career games. I know he's had injury concerns and I'm reluctant to throw too much at him in spite of that, but so far he's had a very underwhelming career. He should be coming to his absolute peak, yet the difference between his average games and his bad games seems to be growing, as well as the regularity.

That option he took when going inside 50 was so poor. So casual with time ticking, and just the wrong angle completely to chip it in - went the pitching wedge when he needed to use the 5 iron.

Really well articulated, completely agree. And it's such a shame. This is where Goody as a Coach frustrates me - is he driving players like Salem to be better and do more?? Feel like Petracca's emergence is self-driven more than anything.
He just doesn't want Goody to try to drown him again

Hes too ******* slow to play in the midfield or forward with the others unless you dropped Brayshaw. He could have had that last shot and won the game but didn't want to do 1 of the only ******* things he's good at which is kicking. If he isnt going to take on those kicks then drop the campaigner for Jetta

I love Salem but he needs to up his thyroid medication or smoke a pip or something before the game. He is so lackadaisical, if he sprinted after that 50 he could of tried and earned another 50 by running into the man (although they've stopped playing that rule since early last year) and at least would have kicked it to a better contest.

He also never goes back on his mark, instead he just changes the angle. He needs to give himself more space and get back.

He has looked good in the guts before and would compliment the centre combo - if only our other mids could play other positions and weren't so collectively slow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back