Player Watch #3: Christian Salem

Remove this Banner Ad

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
He’ll always have that goal after the siren to beat Essendon, that was nice.

I like Salem, but his jog after being paid the 50 penalty yesterday was uninspiring, really reflects our side as a whole.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
To his defence the siren from his point of view could have easily sounded at any moment and he would of looked really stupid if that had of happened. You could see he looked back to bench to get an indication on time left

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It's a real slight on the skills of the modern footballer that I bet he hasn't trained so therefore never considered a torp

He should have just taken the shot on goal. He’s a glorious kick and if it had fallen short we’d have had more time to rebound.

I'm not so sure he's as good a kick as everyone makes out to me. All you see him do nowadays is chip it 15 or 20 metres. Reckon Thomlinson is a far better kick than Salem is.

Reputation doesn't meet reality.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'm not so sure he's as good a kick as everyone makes out to me. All you see him do nowadays is chip it 15 or 20 metres. Reckon Thomlinson is a far better kick than Salem is.

Agreed, Salem has become Jetta lite. Doesn't take on dangerous kicks or change the angles enough. Almost as if he wants to protect his kicking efficiency. Also doesn't ever get them in dangerous spots.

Agreed, Salem has become Jetta lite. Doesn't take on dangerous kicks or change the angles enough. Almost as if he wants to protect his kicking efficiency. Also doesn't ever get them in dangerous spots.

Agree, he's a ******* pussy by foot honestly, no balls about any of his decision making whatsoever. Anyone would think he's a Matthew Suckling the way some people carry on about his kicking.

It's a real slight on the skills of the modern footballer that I bet he hasn't trained so therefore never considered a torp
could you imagine the melts if he went the torp and it skewed off his boot straight into the hands of a Geelong player?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
could you imagine the melts if he went the torp and it skewed off his boot straight into the hands of a Geelong player?
He's entitled to check his options look for the pass and then take his 30 seconds. If he did it properly like that I'd have no issue with him stuffing it.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Salem is what he is, had a decent year last year in a rubbish team, was pretty good against Carlton and then played a nightmare against Cats.

He isn't in our top 5 players but I don't hold that against him, the problem with having to play 22 each week is they can't all be top 5 players.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
In the last few minutes we had an outnumber on a highball and Salem jumped up and punched it over the boundary.

Rivers clearly went up to him after and told him he had to mark that. And he was right, we need our defenders, especially with a few minutes left in a tight game, to back themselves.

Was really interesting. You can see how clammed up and defensive our players get. Nobody wants to stick their necks out and try and win it. Except the young blokes who have probably come straight from a winning system in under 18s. Wonder how long until Rivers is Melbourne'd?

Same thing happened when Viney and Oliver(?) were handballing it around inside forward 50 in the 3rd quarter, nobody wanted to take the shot, it absolutely kills ya. As a supporter, all I ever want is for them to go down all guns blazing. Everyone can respect that.

EDIT: Watched back and it was with 6 minutes left. Salem got two hands to it and punched it over

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
In the last few minutes we had an outnumber on a highball and Salem jumped up and punched it over the boundary.

Rivers clearly went up to him after and told him he had to mark that. And he was right, we need our defenders, especially with a few minutes left in a tight game, to back themselves.

Was really interesting. You can see how clammed up and defensive our players get. Nobody wants to stick their necks out and try and win it. Except the young blokes who have probably come straight from a winning system in under 18s. Wonder how long until Rivers is Melbourne'd?

Same thing happened when Viney and Oliver(?) were handballing it around inside forward 50 in the 3rd quarter, nobody wanted to take the shot, it absolutely kills ya. As a supporter, all I ever want is for them to go down all guns blazing. Everyone can respect that.
Could not agree more, Levers our only defender who attacks by defending. Jetta used to.
May ATM is a spoiling machine but then the rest don't add anything.

The midfield don't wanna take responsibility for hitting a target or missing one by lowering their eyes and really only Petracca and then Brayshaw on the weekend took the responsibility of a shot.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Harmes is one who loves a goal and will never be afraid to take the shot. Same with him trying to take the game on. He wasn't overly effective on the weekend but I really liked him in the guts and his effort to try and break tackles and release with the hands and create an overlap. Instead of hot-potatoeing the thing around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Could not agree more, Levers our only defender who attacks by defending. Jetta used to.
May ATM is a spoiling machine but then the rest don't add anything.

The midfield don't wanna take responsibility for hitting a target or missing one by lowering their eyes and really only Petracca and then Brayshaw on the weekend took the responsibility of a shot.

It took us 10 years to find a defender who can spoil properly, pitty intercept marking has only be in vogue for the last 5 years.

He's an overrated field kick based on the options he picks etc and doesn't do enough damage but his technique is pretty good when it comes to goalkicking. Not many straighter kicks on our list. Tomlinson more damaging by foot in general play, sure, but that's mostly to do with how flat footed Salem is.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree, he's a ******* pussy by foot honestly, no balls about any of his decision making whatsoever. Anyone would think he's a Matthew Suckling the way some people carry on about his kicking.

Surely has the ability to be a good long field kick though, needs a coach to back him and give him a licence to take it on and when fails, no matter how often, still get a pat on the back for it

Surely has the ability to be a good long field kick though, needs a coach to back him and give him a licence to take it on and when fails, no matter how often, still get a pat on the back for it
Something tells me Goody would be happy to take it as a 'learning' if he scrubs a few. Probably needs more encouragement to take it on though.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Something tells me Goody would be happy to take it as a 'learning' if he scrubs a few. Probably needs more encouragement to take it on though.

Could be, and if he is already getting told to take on the kicks but won't do so, then he ought to be dropped, it's not the result that matters at he moment, it's about him consistently going for it. we need him to be damaging on the counter otherwise he has little value at half back

100th game this week. Been largely underwhelming for mine given his talent and skill set. Acknowledge he has had some health issues along the way.

Onwards and upwards Salo! Do something!

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
100th game this week. Been largely underwhelming for mine given his talent and skill set. Acknowledge he has had some health issues along the way.

Onwards and upwards Salo! Do something!
If Rivers comes in maybe he can be a better version of Langdon, has some pace, can run and kick well could Use his weapon forward of centre, just penciled down back which i think was from closer to when he was drafted the hawks were that slow, thoughtful good ball movement team.

Don't get the criticism of Salem.

He's a bloody good player and competitor.

Sure we might 'want' him to be a game breaker - but we have enough of those and he's going to be a rock-solid 200 gamer for us with skill and toughness.

Sure we might 'want' him to be a game breaker - but we have enough of those and he's going to be a rock-solid 200 gamer for us with skill and toughness.
I think people expect better than rock-solid given his talent.

Personally think his next 100 will go some way to showing that promise.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think people expect better than rock-solid given his talent.

Personally think his next 100 will go some way to showing that promise.

This is pretty much it. He's currently perfectly decent.

But we've seen glimpses early last year of just how consistently good he has the potential to be.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

There's no such thing as enough of them, that's why we don't win premierships.
Solid isn't good enough at all. Vanders is solid, Salem should be better than that.

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
Some of the comments are truly bewildering. The kid is a gun and i dont want the ball in anyone elses hands whens its coming out of our backline.

Topkent, fair to presume you lived close to a glue making factory during your formative years? 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back