AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Since he was drafted we've acquired McGrath, Shiel and Smith who have all elbowed past Parish for a midfield gig (and considering the talent of the Ss, no surprises there).

I feel like Parish could play a sort of half back flank/wing role (Guelfi's, similar to the one Myers had in 2017 when everyone came back and the midfield was a logjam), except he's not really any better than Guelfi atm, despite the 40 career games difference between the two. :think:
I feel those half backers/wing types need silky skills and I don't see that with him...to me he is more of a battering ram/kamikaze type player. Probably could easily do what Bags is giving atm although a better solution would be Smith fwd and Parish to hold his midfield spot as others have suggested imo.

I feel those half backers/wing types need silky skills and I don't see that with him...to me he is more of a battering ram/kamikaze type player. Probably could easily do what Bags is giving atm although a better solution would be Smith fwd and Parish to hold his midfield spot as others have suggested imo.

He has never been that player. Ask any draft watcher.

On the question of whether he could be, I don't see where it comes from.

How many battering rams with his size and shape are there?

You could maybe argue that Neale is but he's been it since day 1. Viney has been doing it since day 1 and, frankly, his body can't hack it. He's also inherited being mentally unhinged from his father and seems to combine it with a healthy dose of small mans syndrome.

There was a consistent murmur from the club last year that Smith struggled with the physical contact on the inside and he's started very slowly this year.

He has never been that player. Ask any draft watcher.

On the question of whether he could be, I don't see where it comes from.

How many battering rams with his size and shape are there?

You could maybe argue that Neale is but he's been it since day 1. Viney has been doing it since day 1 and, frankly, his body can't hack it. He's also inherited being mentally unhinged from his father and seems to combine it with a healthy dose of small mans syndrome.

There was a consistent murmur from the club last year that Smith struggled with the physical contact on the inside and he's started very slowly this year.

sloane comes to mind

A forward pressure type?...or half back winger type?

None. I wouldn't do him the disservice of saying he is a forward pressure type.

What could he do at half back that would displace McKenna, Redman, Saad, Ridley or Gleeson?

I think he is a wingman. He's going to need to learn how to break himself running (which I suspect he can do because he seems like that sort of guy) and then see if he can become a really effective outside player.

On talent, he's not a best 22 player. It happens some times. Players have great careers as juniors and don't go on with it.

Parish has always been a bit of a funny mix.

He's small, fairly light and has a bit of toe which should all mean he's better off on the outside. But his use by foot is fairly hit and miss and pretty much always has been - - he has far too many kicks fall short of targets on the lead, or just drop into space imo.

Some of his handballing is sublime, (i. e. the pass to Walla against the Dees) but his decision-making can be questionable and seem inconsequential in close at others.

That said, while I'm not against him being dropped, I'm curious that Myers does stay in with less/similar output and can only imagine they're factoring in his size or "leadership" into the decision.

Langford has been the big disappointment of the year so far imo.

Parish has always been a bit of a funny mix.

He's small, fairly light and has a bit of toe which should all mean he's better off on the outside. But his use by foot is fairly hit and miss and pretty much always has been - - he has far too many kicks fall short of targets on the lead, or just drop into space imo.

Some of his handballing is sublime, (i. e. the pass to Walla against the Dees) but his decision-making can be questionable and seem inconsequential in close at others.

That said, while I'm not against him being dropped, I'm curious that Myers does stay in with less/similar output and can only imagine they're factoring in his size or "leadership" into the decision.

Langford has been the big disappointment of the year so far imo.

Parish might end up going the way of Melksham, just nip at the surface of making it but frustrate, then maybe get better elsewhere

None. I wouldn't do him the disservice of saying he is a forward pressure type.

What could he do at half back that would displace McKenna, Redman, Saad, Ridley or Gleeson?

I think he is a wingman. He's going to need to learn how to break himself running (which I suspect he can do because he seems like that sort of guy) and then see if he can become a really effective outside player.

On talent, he's not a best 22 player. It happens some times. Players have great careers as juniors and don't go on with it.
Lacks the speed, and footskills to become an effective wingman. Not to mention he struggles to find the pill when not playing on ball. I still think the only way he can 'make it' will be as an inside mid, whether it be here or at another club. His ambidexterity and slick hands point to a quality stoppage player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost game.
I want to see him stay in for 4-5 weeks. Try and build confidence. At his best, i love his kicking inside 50 and his ability to get a handball to advantage.
Belongs at the coalface and running heaps into the forward line as an option.

It’s still not quite clicking for him, I don’t feel as assured when he has the ball in hand under pressure like the Heppell/Merrett/Shiel types. Needs to really start owning it when he gets the ball and always be ready for the next stage of play.

It’s still not quite clicking for him, I don’t feel as assured when he has the ball in hand under pressure like the Heppell/Merrett/Shiel types. Needs to really start owning it when he gets the ball and always be ready for the next stage of play.
i think thats largely it. He'll do it for one play, or a little bit. Then when you want him to be there for the next receive, next tackle, next block or pressure run, he's not there. 1st and 2nd efforts are there. the ongoing ones aren't.

He's down on confidence and his positioning reflects his uncertainty, does not act decisively enough and often went in to the contest unnecessarily (ball would pop out past him.) It must be frustrating as it's just a question of degrees and inches. Think it would not hurt for him to go back to the 2s for a bit.

i think thats largely it. He'll do it for one play, or a little bit. Then when you want him to be there for the next receive, next tackle, next block or pressure run, he's not there. 1st and 2nd efforts are there. the ongoing ones aren't.

Summed it up to a t.

He ends up in some very strange positions at stoppages and other contested situatios, running to no where in particular, for a guy who has played midfield all his career.

Was at his best in the last quarter when there was space. It's not much of an accomplishment.

His inside game was essentially inconsequential. Got the ball and handballed it 1m to the guy next to him (whether or not it was the right option). I don't see how a handballing game can be the foundation for an inside game if you can't find a way slow the game down enough to take the best option.

Should not hold his position but for the injury to Smith and the likelihood that Langford will not be able to do enough in 1 game (assuming that he plays). I doubt they'll go with Mynott this early in a year in which we are competitive.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back