AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought his effort was good all day and i really liked a few of his quick handball releases in tight congestion.
If he can clean up his decision making a bit I reckon his disposal by foot will improve. But in saying that, he was cleaner by foot yesterday.
Woosha, please keep him in the middle for a good chunk now

So his two best games this season have been the two where Myers wasn’t playing (yesterday and the Dees).
We've long been faced with the decision of Myers v Parish when it comes to that spot in the middle. We could play both, but someone like Zaka probably needs to come out...and even then, Parish loses his best spot.

Coaches need to pick who gets the nod moving forward

We've long been faced with the decision of Myers v Parish when it comes to that spot in the middle. We could play both, but someone like Zaka probably needs to come out...and even then, Parish loses his best spot.

Zaka actually played a lot of time in the half back rotation on the weekend.

Given one of them is a few weeks away from turning 30, struggles with injury, and at his best is merely serviceable I would have thought that decision would be quite easy.

Parish is the better prospect, probably already the better player, and we should be investing in him if we really have aspirations towards winning finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if he was bigger.
Would only a bonus. No law saying you need to be 6'3+ to be a good inside mid i.e, Greg Williams, Ben Cousins, Sam mitchell, Tom mitchell, Lachie Neale etc. All had/have good contested posession and clearance numbers and aren't exactly monsters. Between Heppell, Stringer, maybe even Laverde you can throw anyone of them in the centre bounce from time to time as that bigger body to provide the blocks for guys like Shiel, Merrett, McGrath Parish etc if needed.

Played very well. But I think he suits the wet. Think he could play the exact same game on a dry day and we’d say “He was pretty good. Disposal could be cleaned up a bit.”

Having said that, no logical reason to not play him big midfield minutes the rest of the season.

Not sure if other clubs have this problem or have had it historically or Essendon have had it in the past themselves but have there ever been 2 players who cancel each other out like Darcy Parish and David Myers?

Surely at the start of 2017, Essendon's higher ups recognised the detrimental impact playing a guy like Myers has on Darcy's progression.

And I agree.
While he's good at kicking the odd goal, Darcy Parish ain't a forward's a-hole. (I'd be happy if he plays 200 games but doesn't reach 50 goals.)
The midfield is his home away from home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back