AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Won't play round 2 due to hamstring awareness - 22/3

03 - parish.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted free agent 2028 or 2029
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 18, doug85

Last edited by a moderator:

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Was thinking about DP3 last night at work. I was wondering if he is a lock in our 22?

After coming back in round 17 he was among our best performed players and perhaps our second most effective midfielder behind Merrett. If he has a good pre-season I can see no reason why he wouldn't build on that form, which was easily good enough to be best 22.

His best 22 role should be as an on-baller where he belongs. Playing him on a HFF hasn't helped the team nor has it helped Darcy, hopefully the coaches can see this before they ruin another career trying to make jam out of pig s**t.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
His best 22 role should be as an on-baller where he belongs. Playing him on a HFF hasn't helped the team nor has it helped Darcy, hopefully the coaches can see this before they ruin another career trying to make jam out of pig s**t.
is Darcy's midfield ability the pig s**t and his HFF role the jam?
or vice versa?

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Certainly looks to have gained some muscle which can only be a good thing for the style of player he should become. He is never going to have the speed to be a damaging player on the outside but he is a natural ball winner at the coalface and his hands are as clean as anybodies going through the midfield for us and the added size can only enhance this side of his game.

BigEast

Debutant
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Certainly looks to have gained some muscle which can only be a good thing for the style of player he should become. He is never going to have the speed to be a damaging player on the outside but he is a natural ball winner at the coalface and his hands are as clean as anybodies going through the midfield for us and the added size can only enhance this side of his game.
Agree DPS, Darcy's kicking efficiency is average (haven't checked the stats so I wait to be corrected), appears to rush his kicks leading to missed targets. However his hands are good and this does compensate. He may need to play the blocking roll for the likes of Merrett and Shiel to break from packs.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree DPS, Darcy's kicking efficiency is average (haven't checked the stats so I wait to be corrected), appears to rush his kicks leading to missed targets. However his hands are good and this does compensate. He may need to play the blocking roll for the likes of Merrett and Shiel to break from packs.
Expecting this to be Myers bread and butter this year, would personally like Parish's role to be more "See ball get ball"

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Ive witnessed Parish do some nice things by foot. But its true his best role looks like being a clearance winning tackling machine. Ideally a Sam Mitchell type who never had speed but had good vision and footy smarts. I think he should start on the ball with Shiel. Heppell in the centre with Merrett and Zaka on the wings. We then have Langford, Myers and Stringer if we need more size in the guts, or Pigeon and Dev if we need more speed. Plus everyone else who can rotate through the midfield like Guelfi, Begley, Fantasia, Tippa and hopefully Laverde.

BigEast

Debutant
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Expecting this to be Myers bread and butter this year, would personally like Parish's role to be more "See ball get ball"
Same, same. Win the ball, feed Shiel or Merrett, effect the block so they can break free. Myers similar, but he tends to throw it on the boot to kick clear of the stoppage.

Rancid Trogs

Senior List
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Really excited by what Parish brought to the back end of 2018. With the word around that he’s added size and taken his running to new levels, I’m pretty bullish on what we’ll see from Darcy in 2019.

We know he’s got great hands in close and is an aggressive and fiery conpetitor. With added size he’ll put that fire to good use and with increased endurance we’ll see him add breakaway from stoppage. As a junior he was the kind of player that really accelerated a team - always on the move, always thinking ahead and proving the ‘give and go’ option. He can really get a midfield motoring.

I’m also hoping that being less fatigued will allow us to see the sort of kicking he displayed as an underage player. While not a elite or scything kick, he was still seriously damaging with ball in hand.

Back