AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

If Parish is good enough this is only a small speed bump on his road as a footballer. He lost his spot in the side through running around like a headless chook in JLT 1 and showing none of his ability to cleanly pick up the ball. We know he's capable of a lot more but I don't mind the coaches forcing him to find some real form before he plays seniors.

This does not mean he will be gone from the club at years end or anything like that.

If Parish is good enough this is only a small speed bump on his road as a footballer. He lost his spot in the side through running around like a headless chook in JLT 1 and showing none of his ability to cleanly pick up the ball. We know he's capable of a lot more but I don't mind the coaches forcing him to find some real form before he plays seniors.

This does not mean he will be gone from the club at years end or anything like that.

Out of contract at seasons end be interesting if a club comes knocking.

My boy out for round 1! Looks like woosh wants experience with bags and myers in. Hopefully Parish takes it on the chin and continues to work hard on his game. I think he's good enough for AFL and at 21 has enough time to improve into a regular mid for us. Good to see woosh not gifting him games and obviously has a few things he wants Darcy to work on. He'll have to be ready because he will eventually get the call up.

Simply played himself out of the team by giving nothing in JLT - young blokes fighting for spots need to go hard in these games. He didn’t.

Who was it that said in an interview after training during preseason that some of the younger guys need to learn how to save their really serious efforts for the season proper? ...or am I imagining that? If I'm not imagining that, I'm wondering if Parish's half-arsedness in JLT was responsive to it?

...it matters not. Force your way into the 22, Darcy.

Wow that would be a great steal for us if we could make that happen.

I can see us playing him at the back end of the season to build some trade currency
A bit premature I think. Season is a long time. In any case, Joey's injury highlights the need for another genuine KPF. With Shiel, Raz and Walla, and Moz in the background, I don't see a need for Martin.

A bit premature I think. Season is a long time. In any case, Joey's injury highlights the need for another genuine KPF. With Shiel, Raz and Walla, and Moz in the background, I don't see a need for Martin.

Agreed, it’s very early to be discussing this - But id love another KPP. With the ageing Hooker & somewhat fragile Joe we could use a few more to build up the stocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its a good thing in the sense that Parish will know where he needs to improve and by dropping a player sends a message to the group because in the past we have seen coaches play guys that really needed to be dropped even if to just get a few touches.

I understand Parish not being selected for round one, though I would have selected before Guelfi - I watch T.Kelly of geelong and this is the type of player that I envisioned Parish becoming.

I understand Parish not being selected for round one, though I would have selected before Guelfi - I watch T.Kelly of geelong and this is the type of player that I envisioned Parish becoming.

He played in the VFL for a few games in 2018, and came back into the AFL side with more impact. Maybe they're just repeating the experiment earlier this year.

I'm still bullish on Parish - but I'm a little confused as to his role in the team. I thought we recruited him as a midfielder, but it's only in his first year that he spent the majority of his time at the coal face.

John was pretty candid that some players or the team wasn't understanding certain parts of the way they wanted to play.

Darcy may not have been understanding his role in the team. To us it may have looked like not trying but the coaches and club may understand that it is just confusion.
Not being picked for a round 1 team isn't to do with talent, Darcy has all the tools to be a very good AFL footballer, he may just not have been in the right space understanding wise to be selected for a big away match.

John was pretty candid that some players or the team wasn't understanding certain parts of the way they wanted to play.

Darcy may not have been understanding his role in the team. To us it may have looked like not trying but the coaches and club may understand that it is just confusion.
Not being picked for a round 1 team isn't to do with talent, Darcy has all the tools to be a very good AFL footballer, he may just not have been in the right space understanding wise to be selected for a big away match.

Not sure I am going to listen to Worsefold this year.

I'm at almost a zen like peace when it comes to following the team.

If I have to hear s**t like this, well, lets say I become less at peace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back