AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

This may not go down well...

But I actually think Petracca has shown far more talent. Parish has been more productive.
I wouldn't go so far as to emphasise "far more" myself.

I'm happy for a guy with Petracca's physical attributes to skill ratio to be considered more talented, to a degree; but when I see a far smaller and lightly built blond haired kid in his first year gather the ball in heavy traffic, assess the situation in the blink of an eye, and instead of handballing to where he was planning actually switching hands and firing off a laser like handball in the opposite direction, delivered immaculately; or the same kid get a hardball in the backline, link up with a 1-2 in the midfield, then pop up again seemingly seconds later in the forward line - all in the same passage of play - then I can't give you "far more" I'm sorry

I wouldn't go so far as to emphasise "far more" myself.

I'm happy for a guy with Petracca's physical attributes to skill ratio to be considered more talented, to a degree; but when I see a far smaller and lightly built blond haired kid in his first year gather the ball in heavy traffic, assess the situation in the blink of an eye, and instead of handballing to where he was planning actually switching hands and firing off a laser like handball in the opposite direction, delivered immaculately; or the same kid get a hardball in the backline, link up with a 1-2 in the midfield, then pop up again seemingly seconds later in the forward line - all in the same passage of play - then I can't give you "far more" I'm sorry
"far more" was just a bit of puffery really.

I think Petracca has displayed more talent but I'm still pleased with Parishs season, and the player he will likely become.

Where do we reckon this kid will play next year? He's had to play a lot more midfield time than we probably would've like cause of the circumstances, but I reckon he's grasped the opportunity and he'll probably be fast-tracked because of it. Do you guys think he'll play predominantly forward next year or spend a similar amount of time in the midfield?

When you include Hocking, Watson, Myers, Colyer, Stanton you would think it would be far less midfield minutes. I think he will be a half forward rotating into the midfield more next year or a guy who starts on the bench and rotates on with his limited tank in comparison to other mids.

Id like him to follow similarly to Zaharakis, hes a great player to have the ball in his hands as the last kick going inside 50 and that half forward role should suit that quite well.

"far more" was just a bit of puffery really.

I think Petracca has displayed more talent but I'm still pleased with Parishs season, and the player he will likely become.

Talent is made up of many facets - Petracca has issues with decision-making and is vulnerable when in heavy traffic - Which of course is normal for young players - You must remember that Petracca is a second year player.

Thought he would get a bit tired around this stage of the year - has made me look a right fool.

So easy to forget he's only 18. The next 15 years are going to be a real treat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heppell played nearly exclusively off HBF in his first year. In many ways there's not much comparison, and what Darcy's been able to do (not withstanding how good Heppell was in 2011) is almost certainly harder given the lack of cattle he's had around him.

It's better, don't think it's that close either given the learning curve on the respective positions.

Heppell played nearly exclusively off HBF in his first year. In many ways there's not much comparison, and what Darcy's been able to do (not withstanding how good Heppell was in 2011) is almost certainly harder given the lack of cattle he's had around him.

I agree, I just didn't want to go there first. Doubt that I am taken seriously when being "critical" of Heppell.

Francis plays midfield do you mean ?
It's taken him 16 weeks to be considered fit enough to play as a 3rd tall def. Will not play a second of midfield time in the next 2 seasons, if ever.

He's played 8 games of VFL not 16. He missed a big chunk of the start of the season due too soft tissue injuries. I wouldn't be reading anything into whether he can play midfield based on that.

He's played 8 games of VFL not 16. He missed a big chunk of the start of the season due too soft tissue injuries. I wouldn't be reading anything into whether he can play midfield based on that.
I didn't say he played 16 games. He spent the entire pre-season on a special program trying to bring his fitness to the required level, and by the start of the season wasn't there yet. You don't think those soft injuries had anything to do with his lack of fitness.
There's a lot to read in to. Let it pass naively if you wish. I'll happily bet my left nut he doesn't play midfield for the next 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back