AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

This part right here I disagree with completely, for me his attack at ground level/clean hands/vision by hand is exactly what makes him better on the inside winning clearances and his iffy kicking doesn’t lend to playing as a link player imo
Concur. Merrett, Shiel and McGrath would all be better options as a link player, with Parish more time in the thick of it.
We might actually see Merrett's much vaunted high quality disposal again if it was him.

He does create a few clearances generally by drawing all 4 opposition players to him, when he gets the ball in close, who still can't get him down. It only seems to happen early in games while he is fresh.

However, he's certanily nothing close to having a consistent impact in the middle.

I'd rather have Parish doing what he does in there for the whole game than Stringer who only shows a few flashes on a good day.
Stringer is arguably our best forward (at least while Joe is out) so play him there.

Stringer is a good guy to start a few centre bounces then push forward, he's not good as a full-time midfielder. Doesn't accumulate enough and his explosiveness gets lost.

Concur. Merrett, Shiel and McGrath would all be better options as a link player, with Parish more time in the thick of it.
We might actually see Merrett's much vaunted high quality disposal again if it was him.

Agreed; Parish is a strong clearance player whilst Merrett can be elite by foot. Surely you're best served with Parish getting first hands to it and releasing Merrett than the other way around.

I'd love to see Parish get an opportunity like he did against Sydney more often, even if you use him swapping with (say) McGrath where they do alternating quarters on-ball. Both have shown excellent ability in-close in high pressure situations and are lightning by hand.

If it means Merrett and Shiel can play a more outside role using their run and carry, then surely that's a good thing?

Shiel - McGrath - Hibberd
Stringer - Parish - Merrett
Smith - Heppell - Tipungwuti

Plenty of dynamic rotations we can use.

Parish & McGrath are no smaller than Tom Mitchell or Lachie Neale for comparison, and those are two of the best inside midfielders in the comp.

In typical Essendon fashion though, we're using a pure midfielder, who's shown plenty playing as a pure midfielder, anywhere but the midfield.

Stringer is a good guy to start a few centre bounces then push forward, he's not good as a full-time midfielder. Doesn't accumulate enough and his explosiveness gets lost.

Agreed; Parish is a strong clearance player whilst Merrett can be elite by foot. Surely you're best served with Parish getting first hands to it and releasing Merrett than the other way around.

I'd love to see Parish get an opportunity like he did against Sydney more often, even if you use him swapping with (say) McGrath where they do alternating quarters on-ball. Both have shown excellent ability in-close in high pressure situations and are lightning by hand.

If it means Merrett and Shiel can play a more outside role using their run and carry, then surely that's a good thing?

Shiel - McGrath - Hibberd
Stringer - Parish - Merrett
Smith - Heppell - Tipungwuti

Plenty of dynamic rotations we can use.

Parish & McGrath are no smaller than Tom Mitchell or Lachie Neale for comparison, and those are two of the best inside midfielders in the comp.

In typical Essendon fashion though, we're using a pure midfielder, who's shown plenty playing as a pure midfielder, anywhere but the midfield.
Shiel tends to butcher it by foot and is our best clearance player, apparently best in the comp currently. Taking him out of there would be madness.

Agree with your other points and rotations though.

Parish's two pre-season games- 29 disposals, 1.1 v West Coast. Game 2 v Geelong- 22 disposals, 3.3. Last quarter v Sydney- 13 disposals, 1 goal. Play him the fu** on the ball.
the last quarter v the swans too.
surprised we didnt try that again against the blues to keep the run fresh.

Hopefully the poor guy doesnt kick any goals early, otherwise Woosh will lock him away in the forward line. Sounds like the coaching panel solidifies the players' game-day roles based on the first qtr :rolleyes:

This part right here I disagree with completely, for me his attack at ground level/clean hands/vision by hand is exactly what makes him better on the inside winning clearances and his iffy kicking doesn’t lend to playing as a link player imo

So you are saying he is not that great streaming through the middle after receiving ? Not fumbling is a strength that allows him to play a stoppage well but he is not built to play all his footy inside. His clearance strength is on the move at a stoppage. His poor kicks have been more about poor decisions kicking across the ground. When he links through the middle he is pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He probably means the bombing it long to the opposition thing. That’s more decision making under pressure than lack of foot skills though.
I would be surprised if McGrath has turned the ball over in open play as much as Parish has, with Parish he mostly tries to bite off more than he can chew, McGraths kicking is usually that bomb under pressure at a stoppage (older senior players setting the standard here).

Even Francis is a great kick but can either bite off too much or just kick off one step.

Twomey weighs in

Makes you wonder what the club are thinking when you look at the numbers, particularly that we win 7% more centre clearances with him in the middle than without him which is the biggest differential in the club.

Personally McGrath should be on the wing to use his pace amd endurance, whilst it would also allow him to gey back defensively and rebound.

Twomey weighs in

Pretty much sums up this thread
Drafted as a mid. Plays his best footy there. We're better for it when it comes to clearances
But has competition in there & with contract up next year we may find offers will come for him.

If he goes, we'd want to ensure we got a good deal.
We're not that blessed with depth. Esp in the midfield rotations and with players who can get forward and score.

"Darcy's in that phase of his career where we're seeing glimpses of what he can do, but he's competing with some pretty good guys who are playing roles for us at the moment." - Worsfold

Learnings and roles..................

Makes you wonder what the club are thinking when you look at the numbers, particularly that we win 7% more centre clearances with him in the middle than without him which is the biggest differential in the club.

Personally McGrath should be on the wing to use his pace amd endurance, whilst it would also allow him to gey back defensively and rebound.
No thanks, In the guts or on the flanks is where I think he should be.

No thanks, In the guts or on the flanks is where I think he should be.
He is not needed on the flanks, Redman, Ridley, Saad and McKenna have that position covered.

Playing him at half forward would be a waste. Looking t the Richmond style he could easily play as the 'fat side' winger role that holds width at stoppages and provides an outlet from the stoppage or cruise past to provide some run.

They normally set up in the middle of the ground if the stoppage is on the wing, or on the genuine wing position if it is is in the middle. His defesnive running would also allow for him to push back and cover, and then bounce out which is his strength.

Also, if i have to pick 3 of McGrath, Parish, Shiel and Zerrett as midfield rotation, then i am pick the last three as they seem o be the most effective.

"Darcy's in that phase of his career where we're seeing glimpses of what he can do, but he's competing with some pretty good guys who are playing roles for us at the moment." - Worsfold

Learnings and roles..................

What bloody roles - get the ball and bomb long role, or the run around like a headless bloody chook role
FMD its the same s**t as the last 4 years.
In the praccie games this year players were lowering their eyes and hitting targets. Was Rutten in charge?
Worsfold needs to go. We need a modern day game coach. Hand over to Rutten and go back to WA
I am over how pathetic we are

So you are saying he is not that great streaming through the middle after receiving ? Not fumbling is a strength that allows him to play a stoppage well but he is not built to play all his footy inside. His clearance strength is on the move at a stoppage. His poor kicks have been more about poor decisions kicking across the ground. When he links through the middle he is pretty good.
No not exactly, he can be prone to turning it over when the last link in the chain but can’t deny he gets to good spots and runs his ring off to get and receive in the chain. I think we should have been building his strength up so that part wouldn’t be an issue, the fact he hasn’t put on size to play the role he was drafted for is bad player management more than anything.

He is not needed on the flanks, Redman, Ridley, Saad and McKenna have that position covered.

Playing him at half forward would be a waste. Looking t the Richmond style he could easily play as the 'fat side' winger role that holds width at stoppages and provides an outlet from the stoppage or cruise past to provide some run.

They normally set up in the middle of the ground if the stoppage is on the wing, or on the genuine wing position if it is is in the middle. His defesnive running would also allow for him to push back and cover, and then bounce out which is his strength.

Also, if i have to pick 3 of McGrath, Parish, Shiel and Zerrett as midfield rotation, then i am pick the last three as they seem o be the most effective.
I’d sooner have Redman and McKenna on the wing before McGrath

McGrath is our only number 1 pick in our history and was drafted as an inside midfielder who was a gun at stoppages and also a gun rebound defender able to mop up and control the backline while also doing a job on the most dangerous forward. Wasting him and that pick 1 on the wing is madness imo, I don’t think he will ever be an elite wingman and that’s not what we drafted him for either, I mean same goes for Parish as a forward and he shouldn’t be playing a bulk of his time there either but his addition to the midfield should not come at the expense of McGrath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back