AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Won't play round 2 due to hamstring awareness - 22/3

03 - parish.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted free agent 2028 or 2029
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 18, doug85

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I read it as just a nice way of saying he's probably not good enough at the moment.

It stood out like dogs balls when he played 2s last year. He's about the same standard as Mynott.
Mynott hasn't played an afl game though. Surely they wouldn't give 50 games to one bloke and zero to the other if they were the same standard. I thought he played well in the 1s when he came back

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Mynott hasn't played an afl game though. Surely they wouldn't give 50 games to one bloke and zero to the other if they were the same standard. I thought he played well in the 1s when he came back

It's a hard thing to explain. He can get his hands on the ball but he doesnt really do anything damaging with it.

My expectation of AFL players is that they stand out as being above VFL level. Parish played VFL the same way he played AFL and didn't stand out as being above any of our AFL listed midd. Very scrappy around the ball, okay to good when he had space.

What was Parish like as an U18? What kind of player are we actually expecting him to be like? Not sure if you recall his draft year or not.

Vanilla. Good at almost all aspects of the game without and outstanding attribute or point of difference.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Let's wipe the slate clean and look at it as a week to week proposition until he starts playing some consistently effective football.

He's been a witches hat so far tonight.

Haven't watched the Pre-Season games as they don't interest me but the common theme is Parish can play shitload of games without a wink.

I want to keep liking him and hope he stands out and improves.

Maybe I like the wrong sort of player.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Let's wipe the slate clean and look at it as a week to week proposition until he starts playing some consistently effective football.

He's been a witches hat so far tonight.
Which I find bizarre....he is far from a walk up start in round 1, particularly with the addition of Shiel and the likelihood of McGrath playing more midfield minutes.

You’d think he’d play like....I dunno...a guy playing for his spot in the team maybe? Gave almost nothing across both games.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Which I find bizarre....he is far from a walk up start in round 1, particularly with the addition of Shiel and the likelihood of McGrath playing more midfield minutes.

You’d think he’d play like....I dunno...a guy playing for his spot in the team maybe? Gave almost nothing across both games.

It's worse than that. The flow on effect is that he soaks up midfield time from other players we could be developing at training, etc.

I want to say his football's equivalent of Nick Maddinson but Maddinson is now on fire and it would be unfair to Nick.

If Parish was a NSW cricketer we'd all see it.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
It's worse than that. The flow on effect is that he soaks up midfield time from other players we could be developing at training, etc.

I want to say his football's equivalent of Nick Maddinson but Maddinson is now on fire and it would be unfair to Nick.

If Parish was a NSW cricketer we'd all see it.
I’ve been a fan....early on he showed a really good ability to just find the footy. But progress has been less than what have been hoped for.

Maybe it’s the way we use him, maybe you are right. Hope the former but I’m more ready to consider the latter than I have ever been.

Why has everyone suddenly lost faith in Parish?

For me he is simply not clean enough and lacks polish in his disposal.

My concern that he is not big enough to be effective on the inside and nor damaging enough to be effective on the outside

Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
De La Salle VAFA
Super spud extraordinarie

Perhaps Dodo’s biggest crime.

I said this guy was rubbish a few years ago and had all sort of rubbish thrown at me. Really makes me wonder.

As a one trick pony, he has nothing on Shiel who can play his role with vastly more finesse.

I wonder where he will play in the VFL given that Mynott, Hams Begley etc are all ready better than him.

'51 Bewick

Club Legend
Feb 2, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks
I just woke up at 5am on the floor after a mates 30th dinner. Really need to sort my life out. Which app do you use that gives you time on ground?
You can get TOG from FanFooty
Parish - 14 posessions + 4 tackles, only 1 clanger from just 46% TOG.
As a comparison Tipungwuti - 12 posessions + 4 tackles, 5 clangers (almost 50%) from 85% TOG.

Last edited:

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
He seems to just constantly chase the ball like in a game of keepings off instead of tracking where the ball might go, a bit like my dumb staffy when my mates wind him up with a tennis ball.

Very low on confidence I'd say and needs some sort of key mentoring...

I don't know how many times I've seen him try to sprint from contest to contest to contest only to have McGrath track and intercept the ball from miles away and clear while Darcy is close, running around like a headless chicken as the opposition flick it around him.

I became a fan in the banned year but he's done very little since the core team arrived back which is hard to watch honestly.

Back