AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish

Remove this Banner Ad

Would prefer longer, but remember in two years he comes OOC, coincidentally just a year before the new broadcast deal will be negotiated.

If he signs a 3 year deal, he come OOC during the middle of the broadcast negotiations which could be a serious momentum stopper in his own negotiations. At 4 years (2023) he is missing out of all the new cap space found by clubs initially after the new deal (think what happened in the NBA after the latest tv rights deal).

So I imagine that is why it is so short. He will be lining up for a major pay day then at 24, when he likely (at his current rate of improvement) is a much more complete player than he is currently.
Doubt the tenure length was our preference, but it beats losing him.

Last edited:

Not bothered in the slightest by two years. Another young player, and a very important one, locked away. He probably wanted more money and can negotiate that with us in a few years. Can't be seen as anything other than good news.

Would prefer longer, but remember in two years he comes OOC, coincidentally just a year before the new broadcast deal will be negotiated.

If he signs a 3 year deal, he come OOC during the middle of the broadcast negotiations which could be a serious momentum stopper in his own negotiations. At 4 years (2023) he is missing out of all the new cap space found by clubs initially after the new deal (think what happened in the NBA after the latest tv rights deal).

So I imagine that is why it is so short. He will be lining up for a major pay day then at 24, when he likely (at his current rate of improvement) is a much more complete player than he is currently.
Doubt the tenure length was our preference, but it beats losing him.

Good points. It will also take him to six years, so I wonder if players think FA period may also change. AFLPA would like to change qualifying period to 6 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good points. It will also take him to six years, so I wonder if players think FA period may also change. AFLPA would like to change qualifying period to 6 years.

There’s no incentive for him to sign on for any longer, it’s pretty much guaranteed that if he signed a 4 year deal the last couple of years of the deal would see him underpaid.

Doesn’t correlate to how invested he is at the club or happiness level or things of that nature.

What for?

Is signing a contract evidence he hits targets by foot?

We just signed a player for $800k a year, over 4(?), and used two first round picks, and he cant kick either.

In fairness to Parish he did hit two leading forwards against North.
Your right, all he needs to do is
- grow 10 centremetres
- become injury prone
- average .73 goals a game over his career as a permanent forward
- become the worst set shot for goal of our entire forwardline

And THEN maybe he is deserving of praise.

Have i done it right?

Your right, all he needs to do is
- grow 10 centremetres
- become injury prone
- average .73 goals a game over his career as a permanent forward
- become the worst set shot for goal of our entire forwardline

And THEN maybe he is deserving of praise.

Have i done it right?

If doing it right is creating the impression that you're a teenager who cant have a discussion without being driven by emotion then yes.

What I should do now is go and have a cry because someone said something "hateful" (emotional incontinence speak for critical) about my favourite player?

Have I ever been anything but clear that I have a school boy crush on Laverde? Have I even said anything unjustifiable about his performances?

I always see "playing the man"as tacit confirmation of what is being said. You'd otherwise engage the substantive point wouldn't you? Or didn't you learn that in year 8?

If doing it right is creating the impression that you're a teenager who cant have a discussion without being driven by emotion then yes.

What I should do now is go and have a cry because someone said something "hateful" (emotional incontinence speak for critical) about my favourite player?

Have I ever been anything but clear that I have a school boy crush on Laverde? Have I even said anything unjustifiable about his performances?

I always see "playing the man"as tacit confirmation of what is being said. You'd otherwise engage the substantive point wouldn't you? Or didn't you learn that in year 8?

Nice melt.

Thats a fair melt.
In reality only one of us has had an over the top emotional reaction about criticism over a player.

You want to claim you are trying to have an objective debate regarding a players strength and weaknesses, yet
- Parish's high disposal count is because the teams structure allows him to ball hunt
- and when he gets it he butchers it anyway
- Baguley kicling goals as a small forward was lucky cause he got in lucky spots

Yet, when your favourite player struggles to get the ball, kick it well or kick goals - you still find ways to praise him, because you know he is big and can run fast (when he isnt injured).

You may well be eloquent, but your attempts to use it in an attempt to sound objective doesnt work. So yeah, when you show obvious subjective bias when criticising others for not looking at things objectively, I willl point that out. Even if that means highlighting the short comings in your school boy crush of a player.

If that makes you cry, remember who was calling who juvenile.

Thats a fair melt.
In reality only one of us has had an over the top emotional reaction about criticism over a player.

You want to claim you are trying to have an objective debate regarding a players strength and weaknesses, yet
- Parish's high disposal count is because the teams structure allows him to ball hunt
- and when he gets it he butchers it anyway
- Baguley kicling goals as a small forward was lucky cause he got in lucky spots

Yet, when your favourite player struggles to get the ball, kick it well or kick goals - you still find ways to praise him, because you know he is big and can run fast (when he isnt injured).

You may well be eloquent, but your attempts to use it in an attempt to sound objective doesnt work. So yeah, when you show obvious subjective bias when criticising others for not looking at things objectively, I willl point that out. Even if that means highlighting the short comings in your school boy crush of a player.

If that makes you cry, remember who was calling who juvenile.

You are too caught up in strawmaning my arguments to read carefully.

I've never hidden my like of Laverde because I know that doing so would undermine the points I want to make.

I've always distinguished potential from performance and praise.

If I've praised a performance, VFL or otherwise in 2 years, other than Melbourne game or Port Adelaide game I'd be surprised.

This has been the source of relatively constant sniping from you, so what you should do is start with a search for my posts in his thread and look for all the "praise" I have heaped on him for his performances.

There is only one thing less productive than arguing with a stranger on the internet and that is arguing with a stranger on the internet who is also a lawyer.
He’s our lawyer and we love him, even if he is wrong about Parish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back