AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Won't play round 2 due to hamstring awareness - 22/3

03 - parish.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted free agent 2028 or 2029
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 18, doug85

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Slam

Debutant
Aug 9, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
The cross field kick early in the last quarter highlighted where he has to improve. If he sits it 2 meters in front then we run onto it. It seems that he just struggles a bit in being able to put the ball to advantage rather than sitting the ball on players heads.
Super game and it showed just how good he can be.

I 100% see what you are saying - and agree.

I think it’s because he tends to lay back on his kicks.

Last edited:

Big Slam

Debutant
Aug 9, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep play the bloke who has a career elite rating at center clearances on a wing. Not saying Parish should not be there ust saying Shiel is a proven center clearance gun.

I think the difference is that Parish is a release centre clearance player Vs Shiel who’s a run and carry centre clearance player.

Parish’s clearance style brings others more into the game and often results in clearer, open possessions as he releases them into space.

Shiel’s clearance style is to burst, run and carry himself and then rush a hurried and often chaos kick that isn’t ultimately to our advantage.

I think the difference is that Parish is a release centre clearance player Vs Shiel who’s a run and carry centre clearance player.

Parish’s clearance style brings others more into the game and often results in clearer, open possessions as he releases them into space.

Shiel’s clearance style is to burst, run and carry himself and then rush a hurried and often chaos kick that isn’t ultimately to our advantage.
Do not disagree. Personally I would use both in the middle but have never minded using Parish as a forward as it has given him another aspect to his game. Truck used Siel at half forward a few times in the Hawks game.
Both of them have had their issues kicking inside 50. Maybe if we actually blocked a bit more it would not be as much of an issue.
Anyway Parish is going to get his chance to prove he can be the guy consistently now. He is up to it. Just has to chip away at refining his kicking.

Never going to be a great kick, but that's overrated for an inside mid anyway. He wins clearances and boots it forward, which is great for a team that can go missing in that department for long periods
Disagree on it being over rated. Parish also gets a lot of outside ball. He has to sharpen the use. One area of the game we need to improve is turnovers.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The cross field kick early in the last quarter highlighted where he has to improve. If he sits it 2 meters in front then we run onto it. It seems that he just struggles a bit in being able to put the ball to advantage rather than sitting the ball on players heads.
Super game and it showed just how good he can be.
There is something weird in his field kicking mechanics where a lot of his longer kicks seem to swing late. If he was a golfer he would have a nasty slice and a great short game.

Big Slam

Debutant
Aug 9, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
There is something weird in his field kicking mechanics where a lot of his longer kicks seem to swing late. If he was a golfer he would have a nasty slice and a great short game.
He lays back on his kicks, which distorts how it travels off his boot and makes it more "floaty".

Compare Parish's mechanics to how someone like Merrett kicks - who is very compact.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

Parish is in and under, inside. Shiel not so much.

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
love him and loved the 4qtr effort but as has been said already: he was playing against witch's hats. let's not get too crazy.

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
McGraths pretty bloody quick. Quickest hands in the west.
They're both absolutely lightning. If I wasn't a luddite I would make a video of their handball chains out of the contest. It's lightning stuff.
Reminds me of Simon Black and Luke Power handballing out of traffic.

Never going to be a great kick, but that's overrated for an inside mid anyway. He wins clearances and boots it forward, which is great for a team that can go missing in that department for long periods

who says?

Jobe could barely hit planet earth by foot when he started out. He worked on it than he became an ELITE inside mid.

Parish just has to stay the course and he could well turn into the inside mid we have all been waiting for.

He's only 23!

Back