Player Watch #3: Dion Prestia

Remove this Banner Ad

Why bring this up now.
All i have ever done is argue about List management Development and Recruiting. and the real need to get better people into these areas.
It seems supporters just like the club dont want to know until it becomes a crisis and in the process for some reason howl down those who point out the obvious folly of what is going on.

Old old news thats been done to death yet i suppose blokes like Hartley and Richardson are still there.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I don't believe in using top picks on talls unless they are standouts.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Last year before we got Prestia I said I was against it, like Kane Cornes and frankly I posted he was a B-grader. I stated I saw nothing special from him at Gold Coast although I felt he was handy and, a bit like Hampson and Yarran, was against the trade beforehand. In particular, with the Gold Coast situation and his role I felt it was very difficult to get a read on how effective he was given the GC situation in terms of list competitiveness as wells as playing along side Gary Ablett JNR in volatile matches home and away for Gold Coast in response to other posters pumping up his tyres. Just saw the GWS game replay and I admit I could be wrong, he might be a C-grader and I am not 100% sure he is AFL standard in terms of the overall package. His aerial strength is consistently a worry no matter what his condition is and we know he definitely is not in the same class of a kick as Sam Mitchell let alone same height and presence.

If we get a new coach, unless Dimma breaks a record its going to happen eventually, when Prestia's contract finishes, if not traded out before IMO, he could be delisted especially since by the end of this contract he will be closer to 30.!!! Without posters getting too hysterical remember this is just an opinion in the moment but it could be food for thought!

If I am to be frank, which really reflected my anger last year over the trade, my fears are being realised and I am focusing now on premierships after Prestia's contract as realistic goals to be set!!

What was obvious to me on the weekend was apart from Dusty and bit from Cotch and Grigg we lack midfielders with size particularly as link players carry competitive marking strength which the baby bombers used to have with a Blumfield and Caracella etc... We just have too many shorter players that cripple our marking/mobility/contestability power over the ground. I was just thinking did Caddy play, it was becoming that obvious!

If you have Short, Houli, Lambert, Ellis, Lloyd, Prestia, Edwards, Rioli, Bolton, Miles and I will throw in Castagna even though he and some others can leap, as a collective for midfield run its just too short!!! This is no pun on Short either who I think played well and is progressing well as a definitive keeper and a lot of these shorter players played well individually but as a collective lack the desired joint effect! If only we had a couple of Fyfe's or even a couple of Barlow's would have made a difference!

Last edited:

Dion Prestia will come good and will be a great player for Richmond.

**please don't ask me for evidence to back up my claim as I have none, thank you**
His kicking is atrocious although I feel this will improve some with a full pre season but he did play quite a part in our early success this year if only by freeing up our star players.
Im willing to give him this year as he had no preperation and that affects all players but he needs to step up in a big way next year.
Anyway if nothing else he gives our supporters the scapegoat they need what with Vickery taking up that role at the Hawks.

There is only 1 person to blame for our lack of quality and depth ............ Francis F Jackson

For way too long this bloke had the entire Richmond football clubs destiny in his hands, I have been saying it now for 10 years that he is hopeless and totally out of his depth.

Just have a good look at some of the new players that sydney have found in the draft even finishing so high on the ladder they have found some real guns
Geelong,Adelaide,Essendon have all done exceptionally well
It infuriates me that Gayle sat on his hands for so long. The evidence was there way back when with Oakley-Nicholls, but we felt the need to give him another decade so we could be absolutely sure we had the leagues worst recruiter on our hands.

I would suggest the improved game plan has been of greater benefit to both, especially Cotch!
Yet there is really no improvement in the net performance of the team. For a rookie you've made big impact in the last 24 hrs just quoting the company line with no evidence. You really have no balance in your posts and the way you carry on you must think we're 8-1. Seriously Martin was top 3 in the Brownlow last year and Cotchin was high in our BandF so they really hadn't needed too many gears left to go higher. I believe Nankervis has improved their game bc he's a mobile hard hitting body at their side. What Prestia has failed to offer is midfield grunt , run and carry , contested possession winning, defensive pressure , clean disposal and most importantly leadership. Cotchin and Martin's games would both be an improvement if they could up their leadership skills and I believe Prestia cannot help them here as witnessed by our choke last week.
How can Prestia be helping them as his game has hardly taken off and his disposal has been sub VFL? IMO he's been embarrassing based on $ to output ratio due to his poor KE. Now let's stop making stories up and stick to observed evidence.

Yet there is really no improvement in the net performance of the team. For a rookie you've made big impact in the last 24 hrs just quoting the company line with no evidence. You really have no balance in your posts and the way you carry on you must think we're 8-1. Seriously Martin was top 3 in the Brownlow last year and Cotchin was high in our BandF so they really hadn't needed too many gears left to go higher. I believe Nankervis has improved their game bc he's a mobile hard hitting body at their side. What Prestia has failed to offer is midfield grunt , run and carry , contested possession winning, defensive pressure , clean disposal and most importantly leadership. Cotchin and Martin's games would both be an improvement if they could up their leadership skills and I believe Prestia cannot help them here as witnessed by our choke last week.
How can Prestia be helping them as his game has hardly taken off and his disposal has been sub VFL? IMO he's been embarrassing based on $ to output ratio due to his poor KE. Now let's stop making stories up and stick to observed evidence.

Alright obviously this was aimed at me because u 2 work in tandem. Im no rookie to big footy. Ive been around since about 06 under a different pseudonym that i cancelled 2 yrs ago due to diffrerent personal reasons.
But i digress. Yep i agree Prestia hasnt ripped the comp but i and many others said the recruitment of he and his buddy Caddy will relieve pressure off Cotch and Dusty.
Now you can say it's game plan related (but not give hardwick credit) or you can say that the pair of them are a likeness that allows trent and dusty to evolve to their strengths. Now knowing you guys i will accept that you wont accept that theory but that is fine as you and you cohorts are in fact in the minority and your sole reason for bigfooty is this is the only place you can spill your dribble aloud and the 3 or 4 that agree will speak up therefore bombarding every thread with your crap
Am i right? I know i am. I have posted and read in these threads for too long. Prestia has been a great pickup. We showed balls and got him. Look forward to him showing all of us exactly what he has

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright obviously this was aimed at me because u 2 work in tandem. Im no rookie to big footy. Ive been around since about 06 under a different pseudonym that i cancelled 2 yrs ago due to diffrerent personal reasons.
But i digress. Yep i agree Prestia hasnt ripped the comp but i and many others said the recruitment of he and his buddy Caddy will relieve pressure off Cotch and Dusty.
Now you can say it's game plan related (but not give hardwick credit) or you can say that the pair of them are a likeness that allows trent and dusty to evolve to their strengths. Now knowing you guys i will accept that you wont accept that theory but that is fine as you and you cohorts are in fact in the minority and your sole reason for bigfooty is this is the only place you can spill your dribble aloud and the 3 or 4 that agree will speak up therefore bombarding every thread with your crap
Am i right? I know i am. I have posted and read in these threads for too long. Prestia has been a great pickup. We showed balls and got him. Look forward to him showing all of us exactly what he has
Your line that Prestia has been a great pick up is about as credible
To that of Gale's when he stated DH has the credentials to be a premiership coach. Both statements mean zero as data and evidence suggests otherwise and both you and Gale haven't provided reasons why. Now as far as I'm concerned for all the reasons I've listed Prestia has been a bust and it doesn't matter how often you tell me how wonderful he is I won't alter my opinion . He's underperformed for almost three seasons now possibly due to injuries , but more closer to his size as the boys around him are bigger and stronger and he's getting monstered.

Sorry it was aimed at you and I don't know what happened there.

Your line that Orestia has been a great pick up is about as credible
To that of Gale's when he stated DH has the credentials of a premiership coach. Both statements mean zero as data and evidence suggests otherwise. Now as far as I'm concerned for all the reasons I've listed Prestia has been a bust and it doesn't matter how often you tell me how wonderful he is I won't alter my opinion . He's underperformed for almost three seasons now possibly due to injuries , but more closer to his size as the boys around him are bigger and stronger.
He has played 7 games into a 5 yr contract and you're calling him a bust? Wake up it was evident in round 1 that he and caddy gave us depth. But your too wrapped up in your hatred for Hardwick that no credit goes to anyone this year for any success (wins)

He has played 7 games into a 5 yr contract and you're calling him a bust? Wake up it was evident in round 1 that he and caddy gave us depth. But your too wrapped up in your hatred for Hardwick that no credit goes to anyone this year for any success (wins)
Rubbish Nankervis gave us the ruck we needed , caddy gave us another forward target slightly upgrading TV and isn't a midfielders adsehole bc he's soooooo slooooow. Prestia has been a bust for near enough three seasons and ATM he's been deplorable for us . Now if you've rated his performance as being valuable then you're just trolling and have no inclination to analyse his game based on actual performance and stats. He's got to pull his finger out as I watched Stanton playing VFL last week and a seagull like him would do better. Go and watch some opposition goals scored against us from stoppages as more often than not he's been out run or easily pushed off from the contest and his opponent creates or scores the goal. He cannot even defend properly. He's not fit , strong or big enough to do the job.
He's been a joke so far and needs to get fit.

If he was delisted by the Suns and we picked him up for a decent price this argument wouldn't even exist. It's more the outrageous overpay the club decided on for him that is frustrating.

If you campaigners cant see that he and Caddy are already making Cotch and Dusty better players then u have nfi.
The two of them haven't been in the side for the past 3 games our biggest games.
I was hoping you were going to be right and they would relieve the reliance of Cotchin and to some extent Martin on the inside, but they have been massive failures.
Nankervis has had greater influence at ground level clearances .

pick 6 and 800 k for depth ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back