Player Watch #3: Dion Prestia

Remove this Banner Ad

To quote Terry Wallace ... 'I'll f**** spew up" if one more poster mentions Prestia will "only get better once he has a full pre-season."
Wake up and smell the roses.
He didn't have a full pre-season this year ... he didn't have one last season .... or the previous one.
Someone point me to this miracle cure, please???? I have a bad back and shoulder, but it will come good with this miracle elixir no doubt.
Or is this just another case of posters painting everything as 100 per cent better as soon as you walk past the Jack Dyer statue and through the doors to Dimma's office???? :rolleyes:

Relax drama queen. Prestia will get better once he has a full preseason under his belt

To quote Terry Wallace ... 'I'll f**** spew up" if one more poster mentions Prestia will "only get better once he has a full pre-season."
He didn't have a full pre-season this year ... he didn't have one last season .... or the previous one.
Someone point me to this miracle cure, please???? I have a bad back and shoulder, but it will come good with this miracle elixir no doubt.
Or is this just another case of posters painting everything as 100 per cent better as soon as you walk past the Jack Dyer statue and through the doors to Dimma's office???? :rolleyes:

upload_2017-7-21_14-25-20.png

I just spewed up a little bit in my mouth when you mentioned Terry f*****g Wallace.

Bloke gives used car salesmen a bad name.

Better get the barf bag out then.

Remember the saying time heals all wounds, I had a prolapsed disc from footy that took nearly ten years to come good, with the right care you may see Prestia at his best, the Hawks were of the same mind with JOM and they don't make to many mistakes.

How many blokes have 10 year AFL careers (well besides Edwards)?

10 years was me with a prolapsed disc, not Prestia with a knee, my AFL career was restricted to heavy drinking at both the 'G and the old animal enclosure, I was a star.
Bulls**t!

You're not a drinker's a**shole!

You never go and get a round - you're always drinkin mid strength out of plastic cups - and you just spilt half your beer on the sheila sittin next to you.

When I think of the drinkers we could have had supporting Richmond if the blokes in charge hadn't brought you in ... etc. etc.

Settle mate. Prestia will only get better once he has a full pre-season.
Get yourself a preseason while you're at it. Or get rid of the chip, it might help your back and shoulder :D

Bulls**t!

You're not a drinker's a**shole!

You never go and get a round - you're always drinkin mid strength out of plastic cups - and you just spilt half your beer on the sheila sittin next to you.

When I think of the drinkers we could have had supporting Richmond if the blokes in charge hadn't brought you in ... etc. etc.
To be fair I wasnt able to drink with the main group through pre season and I was limited to shandy's mid week, but damn it on my day....

So tell us when he will have an un interrupted pre season, it won't be the next as he us going in for a clean up, will it be the 3 rd of 5 or maybe the 4 th? Or maybe the last ?, when was the last un interrupted pre season he had?

This malarkey about when he has a FULL preseason is like the pot at the end of a rainbow, the people that propagate that myth are conceding his issues

Now I have put some questions in this post , would meatball or tropical please answer?
He gets 6-8 weeks off between the end of the season and start of preseason, plenty of time to go in for a 'clean up' and be right to go from the start of preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar is an absolute jet and should not be mentioned in the same breath as Prestia. One delivers week in week out to a high level whilst the other bloke still needs to get another preseason into him so he's allowed to plod around the field for season after season. Replace Prestia with Treloar in our side and I reckon we'd be on top. Treloar is a waste at Collingwood as his high performances are not truly appreciated with the spuds around him, a bit like Richo all those years with us. Two first round picks for him was on the money and his performances week in week out prove this. Prestia is going below Lambert on a King's ransom so atm at best he was worth a rookie pick. Ok , but he needs to have this imaginary preseason. Treloar has not stopped delivering from day one while for Prestia we're still waiting for him to turn up.

He's not having a go at you Tiger7374 . He's just having a subtle contretemps with me. We go way back.

Not you.

Haere Ra
Morning Kiwi! Lol actually I was having a crack at Mug (see how I didn't use his first name, it would have annoyed him)...he didn't really add anything to the discussion, did he?

And yep, we haven't seen eye to eye on a few things, but my #2331 post wasn't a go at you personally at all. I kinda find it staggering that people don't have clear expectations of what we should get when spending $4m over 5 years...vague "whole of team" measures don't cut it with me...geez I'd love my work KPI's to be so benign.

Lol I'm sure we will have stuff to discuss in the future!

No doubt we were bent over in the Prestia trade. I reckon there was a degree of panic in signing him. In previous trade periods we'd missed out on Treloar, Shield had re-singed during the season so we needed to land somebody and payed overs for a solid but not A grade talent.
It's not only the effect of losing an early pick that hurts but having 750k a year in the salary cap tied up over the next 5 years. It greatly reduces our chances of making a play for an A grade talent when it does become available.
Time will tell CP...I'm not thinking he is a bust...he has a 5 year contract to deliver a body of work that justified the FD paying him $4m...I will be very pleased if he does accomplice good things. This next 6 weeks will be a perfect opportunity for him...we are 2 games clear of the Druggies, effectively the same of the Saints given their poor percentage...I figure we need minimum 3 wins, 4 will ice it. Our midfield will need to deliver because our games in Victoria are very hot and neither of the 2 interstate gigs are walk in the parks.

We have a bit of cash available to redeploy...Hammer, Ivan, Elton, the last of Lid's, maybe Ben G. Its not dire straights.

Well constructed thoughts expressed here. Nank has been a hit, Caddy has had to play a role that he wasn't recruited for because of others falling over, I do believe that when we do get a second tall to stand up week to week that Caddy will go back to being a part of the midfield rotation. With Prestia, has started slowly in his career with us, never argued that, but there are valid reasons for it. He is a long term recruit, little point in running him into the ground when we know he has issues so we ease him in and use him in a suitable role. I fully expect that he will get better over time. As I mentioned in previous posts even Fyfe struggled to get back to his best after an injury. Granted his injury is different to what Prestia has, another player with a knee injury is Nick Reiwoldt who has carried a bad knee for years, he has found a way to perform at his best so there is no reason why Prestia can't do the same as long as he is managed the right way, which is what we've done IMO.

Fair point RT. There is another angle that I didn't put forward...which is...perhaps we have discounted his contract knowing his first year wasn't going to be flash...perhaps he is a 5 year $900k operator but we shaved $500 because he needs to get up to speed. If this is the case, then he is tracking perfectly...and we have 4 years of "boom boom" coming. Good times await then.

I struggle with the term "investment" tho..to me that's a KP speculator at Pick 50 left in the magoos for 3-5 years. I said earlier bang for buck...I do think its relevant here...given his contract size.

Time will tell CP...I'm not thinking he is a bust...he has a 5 year contract to deliver a body of work that justified the FD paying him $4m...I will be very pleased if he does accomplice good things. This next 6 weeks will be a perfect opportunity for him...we are 2 games clear of the Druggies, effectively the same of the Saints given their poor percentage...I figure we need minimum 3 wins, 4 will ice it. Our midfield will need to deliver because our games in Victoria are very hot and neither of the 2 interstate gigs are walk in the parks.

We have a bit of cash available to redeploy...Hammer, Ivan, Elton, the last of Lid's, maybe Ben G. Its not dire straights.
Yer mate, I hope he can play some good footy next year and beyond, but at the end of the day you can really only base your opinion on what you have seen, not what might happen down the track.
Everyone to their own but I think we got rimmed at the trade table, but doesn't mean I don't hope Prestia becomes a solid edition to the list over the next 4 years.

I'm a bit confused - you trying to hold Prestia accountable to himself or the Football Department accountable?

Have always been a bit of a fan of Prestia's early work at GC, but if mugs like me can predict recurring knee problems from snippets of media information, I don't understand how an entire football department can't be all over it and make the best decision in the interests of RFC. Perhaps undertakings had already been made prior to his last recurrence injury/surgery at GC. It's the only valid excuse that could be offered up.

I'm with you on the sort of coin being paid to Prestia and comparing that to say a Jack Scrimshaw or a Will Brodie. Dusty, Cotch will surpass the money Prestia is on and the new Bargaining Agreement has made sure of that so I wouldn't stress over these type of comparisons.

The Football Department had better have valid medical advice though that the knee was manageable (like say Burgoyne's). The how's and when's of this deal really interest me as I think they tell us a lot about getting these sort of deals done in this environment and where it's heading perhaps.

I see your points also Ace...not Prestia's fault that the FD handed over Pick 6 for him. There are 2 questions here to ask...#1 to every bloke on our list - what are you being paid and what do we expect of you? #2 FD - why did you choose this player instead of the alternative?

I am expecting Prestia to be accountable to his contract specifically. I thought 4x top 3 JD finishes would be an satisfactory outcome, given the value of the contract. As you have noted tho...the growth in cap in time will dilute progressively the sheer size of his contract...but its a healthy whack. In past times, my strong recollection of Sun reporting was Gazza and that current Hawk fella...Prestia would have enjoyed being the unaccountable third wheel up there. New world for him.

The FD chose him instead of a Pick 6 from the draft...specifically went for immediate impact and committed to the premium. Get him running thru the middle with Cotch and Dusty. I "back of the enveloped" that premium...circa $2.5m. Prestia delivering the good stuff in time might go a fair way to substantiating that premium.

Interesting the background you noted tho...was it possible the Suns rode him in the back half of 2016 after he announced he wanted to come to us? Didn't take care of him knowing he was out of here...smiling at the thought of our firs rounder as well? Grounds to have walked away I might have thought.

Where did I say it was our year? This is the clubs decision, not mine. They think they can win it by topping up with players like Prestia and Caddy. When you have Jack, Rance, Cotch and Martin in their age profiles what other course do you take?

I think a healthy dose of common sense and reality wouldn't be unhelpful

Sorry its taken me this long to get back to you Loin. I don't get the chance to post here as often as I used to in the past.

So...after re-reading our exchanges to this point...you have raised all sorts of side issues, put words into my mouth, backslid when you could and finally felt you had the right to climb up onto a high horse of common sense and realism...outstanding!! I'm not blameless either...I responded thinking you had something legitimate to bring to the discussion...you didn't, my bad.

So when you hop off the horse, can you respond to this question I asked of you...and if you actually have a view, the next time I'm here we can debate it...

Still not sure what your position is here. Surely when somebody comes to the club pulling $4m we collectively ought to have expectations...this isn't a 67 speculator...or a swap between 20-50...this is Pick 6 @ $800k.

So the FD apparently are using his first year to run him into fitness and because he has a reputation, the opposition assign him perhaps their #3 tagger...so ok, maybe he has earnt $200 of his $800k. Fingers crossed with the injury gods, what do you expect for the next 4 years for a bloke paid in the top 3 of the club...4 consecutive top 3 JD's results, maybe a Charlie, maybe a Norm? I mean we should have expectations, right? The FD had nothing else to do after Round 8 last year but to get our 2016 Draft done properly and in order...this guy has been a calculated acquisition by the club.

I have not once said he can't do this, I'm just saying he has to do this.

Fair point RT. There is another angle that I didn't put forward...which is...perhaps we have discounted his contract knowing his first year wasn't going to be flash...perhaps he is a 5 year $900k operator but we shaved $500 because he needs to get up to speed. If this is the case, then he is tracking perfectly...and we have 4 years of "boom boom" coming. Good times await then.

I struggle with the term "investment" tho..to me that's a KP speculator at Pick 50 left in the magoos for 3-5 years. I said earlier bang for buck...I do think its relevant here...given his contract size.
All we get told is that he is on the reported 5 year $4mil deal, none of us have any idea the breakdown of the deal year to year. So it's easy to get caught up with he is on $800k this season and isn't producing enough for that amount of investment. What if the contract is a maximum $4mil over 5 years. There could be clauses in the contract that state he can earn up to that amount if he hits certain criteria i.e. B n F finishes, finals appearances, Premierships and so on. These sorts of things none of us know.

As I've said previously Prestia could have performed better, no doubt about that, but there are valid reasons as to why he isn't. IMO there is no reason why Prestia can't get back to his best especially once he gets his fitness up and understands our systems and our coaches also understand how to best use him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back