Player Watch #3: Dion Prestia

Remove this Banner Ad

People overrate draft picks so hard it's not funny. I'd trade every first rounder we ever got for a prime of their career superstar.

You just traded Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, Martin, Vlastuin for some clowns that retired long ago. The club pulled the right rein with Prestia that is for sure, but you build your team by drafting top end talent, then you fill gaps by trading for established talent in the right part of the cycle if needed. That is more or less the blueprint of the last three multiple premiers, us, Hawks, Cats. I would hate to see the club get addicted to staying in contention at the likely expense of having any real hope of winning flags. Would rather see us when our champs are past it, retire them off, keep some leadership, swap some older players with currency for draft picks and get a good bubble of 7-8 high end picks over 2-3 years. About 3-4 years later you are every chance to be back in the hunt, especially with our good recruitment and development. If we start trading 2 first rounders for 25 year olds we are asking for perpetual mediocrity.

You just traded Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, Martin, Vlastuin for some clowns that retired long ago. The club pulled the right rein with Prestia that is for sure, but you build your team by drafting top end talent, then you fill gaps by trading for established talent in the right part of the cycle if needed. That is more or less the blueprint of the last three multiple premiers, us, Hawks, Cats. I would hate to see the club get addicted to staying in contention at the likely expense of having any real hope of winning flags. Would rather see us when our champs are past it, retire them off, keep some leadership, swap some older players with currency for draft picks and get a good bubble of 7-8 high end picks over 2-3 years. About 3-4 years later you are every chance to be back in the hunt, especially with our good recruitment and development. If we start trading 2 first rounders for 25 year olds we are asking for perpetual mediocrity.
We had the players there ripe to build a team around. Said at the time of drafting Prestia, imagine what those established stars would have thought if we passed up a quality player like Prestia because pic 6 was to high. In 3 years when and if that no.6 pick comes on, the window has passed. As you said, you build then you swap. Then getting Lynch two years later for effectively nothing was the icing on the cake.

We had the players there ripe to build a team around. Said at the time of drafting Prestia, imagine what those established stars would have thought if we passed up a quality player like Prestia because pic 6 was to high. In 3 years when and if that no.6 pick comes on, the window has passed. As you said, you build then you swap. Then getting Lynch two years later for effectively nothing was the icing on the cake.

I think with Prestia he stated straight out his reason for coming was to play with the likes of Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt. If you think about it, we bring in Lynch because Vickery and Griffiths and McBean and Elton didn't work out(we had a good crack at it in the draft.) Prestia perhaps because Conca didn't work out. Caddy maybe because Ben Lennon didn't work out. Nankervis was different as oddly, we had never had a crack at drafting a quality ruckman since Richard Flounder did exactly that, and later Ottens.

Every club has hits and misses at the draft, we were fortunate Sir Francis Jackson struck absolute gold with his early hits, and we have filled the holes beautifully with trades or free agency.

I will be very disappointed though if our next high value trade is for a player in his late twenties, better to get in 22-24 year olds or maybe the odd gun 20 yo wanting to return from interstate, for "family reasons."

The problem with relying on trades is that it's very hard to fill in a list with quality players. You end up running out of good picks well before you fill a list. If you're thereabouts you can throw picks at establish stars and create a more powerful list. But you then end up relying on late draft picks being good players as your team falls off a cliff age wise in a few years. It's a toal gamble.

And building a team via trading doesn't make sense. Unless you trade out low picks for multiple good B grade players. Otherwise you end up with a few A graders and bunch of C graders.

And to make it harder the best players usually go for a premiership chance rather than $.

So a pure trading strategy is almost impossible. You trade 5 years of round 1 and 2 = 10 picks. You'd expect to get about 10 players. You need 18 + 4 + backup. So pure trading gets you 1/2 of a team. And the salary cap problems that come with it. And you have a 5 year gap in player age. That means when your squad gets around 30 years old you have nothing coming through and ... goodbye.

The problem with relying on trades is that it's very hard to fill in a list with quality players. You end up running out of good picks well before you fill a list. If you're thereabouts you can throw picks at establish stars and create a more powerful list. But you then end up relying on late draft picks being good players as your team falls off a cliff age wise in a few years. It's a toal gamble.

And building a team via trading doesn't make sense. Unless you trade out low picks for multiple good B grade players. Otherwise you end up with a few A graders and bunch of C graders.

And to make it harder the best players usually go for a premiership chance rather than $.

So a pure trading strategy is almost impossible. You trade 5 years of round 1 and 2 = 10 picks. You'd expect to get about 10 players. You need 18 + 4 + backup. So pure trading gets you 1/2 of a team. And the salary cap problems that come with it. And you have a 5 year gap in player age. That means when your squad gets around 30 years old you have nothing coming through and ... goodbye.
Harry Taylor is about to say good bye! :thumbsu: :D:thumbsu:

I still remember people on here crying when we gave up a first rounder and a pick swap for this jet
2016 was a shocking season. I saw one game that season vs St Kilda late in the year. We were playing horrible football. I thought the Dimma/Gale era was over. Richmond doing Richmondy things. I thought it was time something changed. Usuually that's the coach. The club were different. Balme and Caracella were bought to the club. But Prestia, for a first rounder & 750k, which made him almost our highest paid player. Who in the first 1/2 of the season couldn't hit the side of a barn with his kicks. Prestia was a slow burn.

Keep raiding Gold Coast

1591227596691.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great photo. Check the elite pressure on the ball carrier from Curnow.
HAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa it was the first thing I noticed in that picture of the meatball! Colonel Blimp's limp wristed tackle...then Grimsey's sense of urgency!

HAHAHAHAHaaaaaaa it was the first thing I noticed in that picture of the meatball! Colonel Blimp's limp wristed tackle...then Grimsey's sense of urgency!

Haven't seen forward pressure like that from a big fella since Tyrone

Geez love the out look on life from Dion
respectful of the Gold Coast
ultimate respect for lil Gaz
loving the Richmond experience
from the tv or the grand stand always seemed grounded and humble
and that article only seems to back it up

we have been blessed to get the right mix of blokes at Punt Rd in the last decade
all the players that have been thru the place will have contributed in some way

and Dion is a part of it , a big part of it
his presence (and level of performance) in the engine room has allowed us to give Dusty more time forward and Cotch more time in defensive type roles

how good is it being a Tigers supporter now :)

FA has been our Friend.Coming in that is.
Going out another matter.:mad:

FA has been our Friend.Coming in that is.
Going out another matter.:mad:

FA is great. But is costs $. It alleviates the trading picks issue. But at the cost of money. So very good point. But you still end up with a pure trade / Fa approach leaving you with few picks and a full salary cap, and quite likely problems down the track as players age.

The Hawks seem to be taking this trade / FA approach. I reckon the top end of their list is very good. But their depth isn't great. And as their older guys start to go, can they rely on this approach to continue 'working'. At some point I'd argue players will ask for extra to come to a consistent middle of the road team. And some of their cheap trades for injured guys will likely fail. Then they suddenly have fewer young guys and a fairly expensive decent, but not great mature aged squad. They are doing well, but I'm not sure I see them pinching another premiership this way. And I see the Hawks as the best case for this trade/FA approach.

We've used FA really well, and if the AFL hadn't changed the rules after the last second for Ellis we'd have had a late 1st round pick. But we're using it to fill holes, not the list.

FA is great. But is costs $. It alleviates the trading picks issue. But at the cost of money. So very good point. But you still end up with a pure trade / Fa approach leaving you with few picks and a full salary cap, and quite likely problems down the track as players age.

The Hawks seem to be taking this trade / FA approach. I reckon the top end of their list is very good. But their depth isn't great. And as their older guys start to go, can they rely on this approach to continue 'working'. At some point I'd argue players will ask for extra to come to a consistent middle of the road team. And some of their cheap trades for injured guys will likely fail. Then they suddenly have fewer young guys and a fairly expensive decent, but not great mature aged squad. They are doing well, but I'm not sure I see them pinching another premiership this way. And I see the Hawks as the best case for this trade/FA approach.

We've used FA really well, and if the AFL hadn't changed the rules after the last second for Ellis we'd have had a late 1st round pick. But we're using it to fill holes, not the list.

That is the important thing, we have just five players on our list from other clubs. Houli, Nankervis, Prestia, Caddy from really good trades or in the PS draft, and Lynch as a free agent. Since acquiring Houli we had lots of players from other clubs who were perhaps not so successful, though I am sure some left their mark in positive ways, and some like Ivan Maric have been very obvious successes. But since the Yarran debacle - he would have been an ideal type of player for us if not for his troubles - I think I am correct in saying we have only brought in the last 4 on the list above plus Maverick Weller who had played at other clubs. And barring the year we traded for Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy, we have consistently taken all our early round draft picks. By 5 years time of course we will have all bar Lynch of the big wage players off our books or on reduced deals. Martin, Prestia, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance is already gone. You cannot replace those guys through free agency or trading, the players you get in will be inferior and/or want more money to come, and likely won't be as invested. I would be more than happy for the club to take a patient approach to rebuilding, I really don't want them grabbing dubious recruits like say the Crouch Bros just because they are available. Just keep taking the picks, keep making the odd trade or bringing in a FA if it makes sense both trade price wise and cap space wise, but try to get those guys to the club in their early 20's. Keep scouring the continent for the Marlion Picketts and Sydney Stacks. If that means we drop back a bit I am more than willing to accept that. I just don't want us clinging to the top half of the ladder Hawks/Cats style by fielding teams with 8-10-12 players recruited from other clubs in their late 20's. Teams that have to steal a flag by everything going right within a single season, at the very best case scenario.

2016 was a shocking season. I saw one game that season vs St Kilda late in the year. We were playing horrible football. I thought the Dimma/Gale era was over. Richmond doing Richmondy things. I thought it was time something changed. Usuually that's the coach. The club were different. Balme and Caracella were bought to the club. But Prestia, for a first rounder & 750k, which made him almost our highest paid player. Who in the first 1/2 of the season couldn't hit the side of a barn with his kicks. Prestia was a slow burn.
I sat in the SCG in round 23 in 2016 and copped so much s**t from my Sydney mates - thought we were about a thousand years from a premiership...

I think Blair Hartley is a genius.
He's actually put us in a position to contend for the next 5yrs at least.
Our superstars are getting closer to retirement but with FA we can actually bypass the solid rebuild.
Replace our Stars with an FA while the likes of Graham/Ross/Stack etc grow into their roles and a mature enough to take over.
Rance's "retirement" is a blessing in a way.We know we can win a flag without him and with cap relief we can replace him with a youngish FA.
Cotch(2021 retires)>>>FA
Jack(2022)>>>FA
Sheds(2023)>>>FA
While keeping our 1st rnd pick.
Of course there is no certainty in the above that we can continue to contend but at the very least we won't go back to the bad ol days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back