Player Watch #3: Dion Prestia

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
That is the important thing, we have just five players on our list from other clubs. Houli, Nankervis, Prestia, Caddy from really good trades or in the PS draft, and Lynch as a free agent. Since acquiring Houli we had lots of players from other clubs who were perhaps not so successful, though I am sure some left their mark in positive ways, and some like Ivan Maric have been very obvious successes. But since the Yarran debacle - he would have been an ideal type of player for us if not for his troubles - I think I am correct in saying we have only brought in the last 4 on the list above plus Maverick Weller who had played at other clubs. And barring the year we traded for Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy, we have consistently taken all our early round draft picks. By 5 years time of course we will have all bar Lynch of the big wage players off our books or on reduced deals. Martin, Prestia, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance is already gone. You cannot replace those guys through free agency or trading, the players you get in will be inferior and/or want more money to come, and likely won't be as invested. I would be more than happy for the club to take a patient approach to rebuilding, I really don't want them grabbing dubious recruits like say the Crouch Bros just because they are available. Just keep taking the picks, keep making the odd trade or bringing in a FA if it makes sense both trade price wise and cap space wise, but try to get those guys to the club in their early 20's. Keep scouring the continent for the Marlion Picketts and Sydney Stacks. If that means we drop back a bit I am more than willing to accept that. I just don't want us clinging to the top half of the ladder Hawks/Cats style by fielding teams with 8-10-12 players recruited from other clubs in their late 20's. Teams that have to steal a flag by everything going right within a single season, at the very best case scenario.
Disagree.I doubt we'll go after anyone for the sake of it.Plans are more than likely in place already.Look at Lynch for example.We sounded him out 3yrs before he become available.

That is the important thing, we have just five players on our list from other clubs. Houli, Nankervis, Prestia, Caddy from really good trades or in the PS draft, and Lynch as a free agent. Since acquiring Houli we had lots of players from other clubs who were perhaps not so successful, though I am sure some left their mark in positive ways, and some like Ivan Maric have been very obvious successes. But since the Yarran debacle - he would have been an ideal type of player for us if not for his troubles - I think I am correct in saying we have only brought in the last 4 on the list above plus Maverick Weller who had played at other clubs. And barring the year we traded for Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy, we have consistently taken all our early round draft picks. By 5 years time of course we will have all bar Lynch of the big wage players off our books or on reduced deals. Martin, Prestia, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance is already gone. You cannot replace those guys through free agency or trading, the players you get in will be inferior and/or want more money to come, and likely won't be as invested. I would be more than happy for the club to take a patient approach to rebuilding, I really don't want them grabbing dubious recruits like say the Crouch Bros just because they are available. Just keep taking the picks, keep making the odd trade or bringing in a FA if it makes sense both trade price wise and cap space wise, but try to get those guys to the club in their early 20's. Keep scouring the continent for the Marlion Picketts and Sydney Stacks. If that means we drop back a bit I am more than willing to accept that. I just don't want us clinging to the top half of the ladder Hawks/Cats style by fielding teams with 8-10-12 players recruited from other clubs in their late 20's. Teams that have to steal a flag by everything going right within a single season, at the very best case scenario.

Absolutely!

We've been very careful in our FA's and Trades. Filling holes with the right types. Once you go the full bore on FA/trading you have to sacrifice your drafting and then your development.

Right now our younger midfield and small to mid sized players look very good. Talls are a bit less clear. But we've got plenty of talent there. Add in one of 2 FA's and a couple of young talls making it and we have a team that can contend for 5-8 years. I like that we stay up and continue to build. And if we do ti right we have some spare cash for that important player to tip us into a premiership, like Lynch last year.

I really reckon the Cats are a bit of bad luck from being a mediocre side. Their top end is all fairly old, and those guys usually turn up one year and just fall off a cliff. I don't want tot Tigers to be in that spot.

Plus developing them yourself allows for lower costs and we can trade players out. Otherwise your just paying for players and never get anything back. It'll catch up.

I think Blair Hartley is a genius.
He's actually put us in a position to contend for the next 5yrs at least.
Our superstars are getting closer to retirement but with FA we can actually bypass the solid rebuild.
Replace our Stars with an FA while the likes of Graham/Ross/Stack etc grow into their roles and a mature enough to take over.
Rance's "retirement" is a blessing in a way.We know we can win a flag without him and with cap relief we can replace him with a youngish FA.
Cotch(2021 retires)>>>FA
Jack(2022)>>>FA
Sheds(2023)>>>FA
While keeping our 1st rnd pick.
Of course there is no certainty in the above that we can continue to contend but at the very least we won't go back to the bad ol days.

We're a couple of KP's off contending for another 5-8 years. Maybe young guys will come through, maybe a trade/FA. but we're in a nice spot.

I sat in the SCG in round 23 in 2016 and copped so much s**t from my Sydney mates - thought we were about a thousand years from a premiership...
The week before at the G vs the saints
Was one of the worst games of footy I had ever attended despite the game being close
Remember sitting there watching just shaking my head wanting it to be over

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
We're a couple of KP's off contending for another 5-8 years. Maybe young guys will come through, maybe a trade/FA. but we're in a nice spot.
Agree.Not so much our fwds.Lynch & CCJ(touch wood).
Backline i'm a little concerned.
Still work in progress with Balta(Astbury)
Garth i'm ok with.(Grimes)
KPD we are targeting according to Drofder

Agree.Not so much our fwds.Lynch & CCJ(touch wood).
Backline i'm a little concerned.
Still work in progress with Balta(Astbury)
Garth i'm ok with.(Grimes)
KPD we are targeting according to Drofder

Completely agree. It's a lot easier to target one or two guys over a few years to complete the side than trying to build one based on other clubs' players.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Was one of the worst games of footy I had ever attended despite the game being close
I reckon we played worse that day than the 92-10 game against them in 2017. Thoroughly outplayed by a team that was also poor on the day.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
That Saints game was an absolute shocker. Went with two mates, a Tiger and a Saints fan and we stayed in the bar after half time and just laughed at the errors being made and the shocking standard of play. One of the worst games I've been to

Goshaa

🏆🏆
Jul 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
He was so rusty this season. How will he find form for finals with one game under his belt?

With Edwards getting denied earlier entry into QLD, I reckon the flag is gonna be out of reach for us this season. Nothing seems to be going right.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
He was so rusty this season. How will he find form for finals with one game under his belt?

With Edwards getting denied earlier entry into QLD, I reckon the flag is gonna be out of reach for us this season. Nothing seems to be going right.
nothing going right, we re 2p off third , if nothing was going right , we d be 2p off Adelaide , reload

Back