3 Divisions (School / Uni) and 4 Divisions (suburban / district).

Remove this Banner Ad

Just note with Murphy Reserve, I'd argue the second pitch is in good nick. The third one not as much but there is a sh*tload more 5-6yos playing soccer on it than those doing Auskick next door with the Colts.

Just note with Murphy Reserve, I'd argue the second pitch is in good nick. The third one not as much but there is a sh*tload more 5-6yos playing soccer on it than those doing Auskick next door with the Colts.
That's because the Colts are struggling financially , but SMD 's have plenty of money ,but lose players to the schools.

Victoria's population has increased to 5 million, and yet the growth of AFL has stagnated, whereas soccer has grown 10 fold. Just have a look at the scores in the Herald Sun on a Sunday/Monday during the winter. The number of leagues playing soccer is mind blowing. The only saving grace is that the Victorian Soccer Federation are the worst self promoters. They are happy to keep the games and fixtures a secret. If they ever got someone in there who could spend some time promoting all of the leagues, they would would blow away half the AFL Leagues. The last time I checked, the Private Schools had a very healthy soccer competition. The biggest saving grace for AFL is that soccer is poorly organised and marketed. If they ever get their act together then watch out.
The one thing where the AFL may start to make some in roads is through AFL X League. No idea how it works or what it will look like, but they desperately need something. Hopefully there will be a spill over effect into the local leagues, and allow a lot of 13-17 age group to get play a game with lesser numbers.
Women's football much derided and scoffed at for years, is now the saving grace. Good to see the leagues encouraging its development.

That's because the Colts are struggling financially , but SMD 's have plenty of money ,but lose players to the schools.

I don't agree, don't see how $$ at a club impacts kids decisions to play one or the other. And anyway, the junior arm of the Colts is separate $ entity to seniors is my understanding. Good junior club, just when I'm at Auskick at the Colts on a Sunday morning, I look over at the soccer grounds and see a sea of kids is all I'm sayin'....

It ain’t no myth . If its not state schools it’s systemuc low fee catholic schools being pillared . There are many many examples .. Dylan Shiel was at st bedes gone to scholarship. Vickery from CBC to Haileybury .. Richmond’s first pick this year de la to Caulfield ( Higgins) ... and there are many more .

Sometimes . S is the case with two boys currently at Carey, they get offered the scholarship right at the start of their schooling so you don’t realky know where they might have gone to school

Many schools actively trawl rep games etc in search of them - I know that for a fact !

The examples you provide are kids going to more prestigious schools (not going from state to private)... not even vaguely my point. My point is there would be under 5% of state schools in Melbourne able to field a 1st XVIII. There is no state school comp. This is a huge worry. It has nothing to do with scholarships.

I don't agree, don't see how $$ at a club impacts kids decisions to play one or the other. And anyway, the junior arm of the Colts is separate $ entity to seniors is my understanding. Good junior club, just when I'm at Auskick at the Colts on a Sunday morning, I look over at the soccer grounds and see a sea of kids is all I'm sayin'....

Far fewer venues for organised kids soccer in the area than Auskick venues.

More venues + less kids per venue = greater engagement at Auskick

The examples you provide are kids going to more prestigious schools (not going from state to private)... not even vaguely my point. My point is there would be under 5% of state schools in Melbourne able to field a 1st XVIII. There is no state school comp. This is a huge worry. It has nothing to do with scholarships.

Well I’m happy to quote you several from high schools that have ended up at aps( it might involve your Alma mata! ) .
How do you know what is going on in state schools? When kids ( as I know several have been ) are given scholships prior to year 7, how do you know whether or not they would have ended up in a high school and hence affected the high school they went to.

Well I’m happy to quote you several from high schools that have ended up at aps( it might involve your Alma mata! ) .
How do you know what is going on in state schools? When kids ( as I know several have been ) are given scholships prior to year 7, how do you know whether or not they would have ended up in a high school and hence affected the high school they went to.

Think you are missing my point Chaos. If you have the examples please name them. I wont dispute. My point is that its not scholarships that is making independent & catholic schools ascendant. Its the demographics. Footy is increasing an middle class sport....and a fringe sport at state schools which educate the vast majority of the working class (in the Melbourne metro areas that is). Scotch has 4 senior teams....Thomastown High does not have 1...some kids will be playing club footy but not too many. Hence the problem. Even the district clubs that are going reasonably well are from reasonable prosperous areas (Ormond, Beauy etc). If you happen to drive around Melbourne for work you cant help but notice that there is rarely a footy being kicked....in less affluent areas rarely becomes almost never. New Australians just haven't taken to the game in the same numbers...so the population growth is one thing but the people growing the population are really playing. For instance is there a single Indian or Vietnamese AFL or VFL footballer?

Think you are missing my point Chaos. If you have the examples please name them. I wont dispute. My point is that its not scholarships that is making independent & catholic schools ascendant. Its the demographics. Footy is increasing an middle class sport....and a fringe sport at state schools which educate the vast majority of the working class (in the Melbourne metro areas that is). Scotch has 4 senior teams....Thomastown High does not have 1...some kids will be playing club footy but not too many. Hence the problem. Even the district clubs that are going reasonably well are from reasonable prosperous areas (Ormond, Beauy etc). If you happen to drive around Melbourne for work you cant help but notice that there is rarely a footy being kicked....in less affluent areas rarely becomes almost never. New Australians just haven't taken to the game in the same numbers...so the population growth is one thing but the people growing the population are really playing. For instance is there a single Indian or Vietnamese AFL or VFL footballer?

Yeah I am missing your point . Did thomastown high ever dominate ? How do you personally know this? Do you work there ?

Sale secondary still do ok and wasn’t there a top ten draft pick from dromana high this year ?

You seem to have missed my point that many are given scholarships PRIOR to year 7... so how would you personally know where they would have ended up??

Seriously .. why is this an issue assuming you are right ?
Have you heard of box hill secondary and their program ? Or mariboning ?

I think you missed the point the drop off rate from under 15 to 19 in the men's football is unprecedented in recent times due to outside distractions from other sports and activities. The VAFA has not been immune to this problem either look at the teams that have dropped out of d4 to go back to the clubbies due to lack of success and numbers to field two teams on a Saturday e.g. Chadstone, South Mornington and St Francis Xavier and Masala,to name a few though the last two are back in d4 .The growth of women's football is fantastic and what the women and girls bring to a footy club can not be understated . But this also brings a whole new set of problems with club change room suitability's ground availability and ground over use. The AFL use the increase in women's numbers to gloss over the lack of young men staying in the game. The football communities can no longer stick is collective head in the sand and say everything is rosy .

They're my thoughts too. New women sides are re-invigorating some stagnant and slowly dying men's only clubs. With young mums to be and current mums playing footy, it's more likely their kids will play footy also or at least be introduced to and become long time supporters of local clubs. The full effect of the growth of women's footy is yet to be felt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see it working.

Would like to see more geographical footy though.

North and West: St. Bernards, PEGS, Williamstown, Fitzroy, Therry Penola, Old Westbourne, University Blues, University Blacks, Brunswick, West Brunswick, North Brunswick

North-East: Preston, Ivanhoe, Old Ivanhoe, Latrobe Uni, Kew, Old Paradians, Manningham, Bulleen-Templestowe, Old Carey, Old Trinity, Marcellin

East: Swinburne Uni, Hawthorn, Whitefriars, Eley Park, St. Leos, Monash, Old Scotch, SKOBS, De La Salle, Box Hill North, St. Marys Salesian

Central: Old Xaverians, Prahran Assumption, Collegians, Elsternwick, South Melbourne, Albert Park, AJAX, Richmond Central, Ormond, Caulfield Grammarians, Old Geelong

South-East: Hampton Rovers, Parkdale, St. Bedes Mentone, Beaumaris, Old Mentonians, South Mornington, Masala, Peninsula, St. Francis Xavier, St. Johns, Chadstone

Just as an example. Some great local rivalries.

Can't see it working.

North and West: St. Bernards, PEGS, Williamstown, Fitzroy, Therry Penola, Old Westbourne, University Blues, University Blacks, Brunswick, West Brunswick, North Brunswick

North-East: Preston, Ivanhoe, Old Ivanhoe, Latrobe Uni, Kew, Old Paradians, Manningham, Bulleen-Templestowe, Old Carey, Old Trinity, Marcellin

East: Swinburne Uni, Hawthorn, Whitefriars, Eley Park, St. Leos, Monash, Old Scotch, SKOBS, De La Salle, Box Hill North, St. Marys Salesian

Central: Old Xaverians, Prahran Assumption, Collegians, Elsternwick, South Melbourne, Albert Park, AJAX, Richmond Central, Ormond, Caulfield Grammarians, Old Geelong

South-East: Hampton Rovers, Parkdale, St. Bedes Mentone, Beaumaris, Old Mentonians, South Mornington, Masala, Peninsula, St. Francis Xavier, St. Johns, Chadstone

I cant wait fox Xavs versus Albert Park in the Central match of the day.....

Can't see it working.

Love love love the concept but too greatly fear the enlargened gap between strong and weak teams.

I guess my theory with it is to try to balance things out. But, in a competition of such magnitude this isn't easy.
Well of course over time migrations especially around suburban clubs would level it out a bit, but I do think it would be a bit of a scoreboard bloodbath for a start. But what am I saying, we're getting smashed almost every week as it is! :D

Can't see it working.

I can predict every top 4 for every year right now.

N/W: Uni Blues, Bernards, Uni Blacks, Williamstown/Fitzroy (One spot competition!)
N-E: Old Trinity, Old Carey, Marcellin, Old Ivanhoe
East: SKOB, De La, Scotch, Monash
Central: Old Xavs, Collegians, Caulfield, OGGS/Ormond (Might actually be a battle)
S-E: St Bedes, Beaumaris, Hampton/Mentone/Peninsula

Also, why would Chaddy be in S-E and Monash in East? Would make it so that SMS and Friars have a contest in the east for who gets to lose to De La or Scotch in the first week of finals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back