Past #3 Dylan Stephens

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
If I recall he got 30 disposals in the last game when played as an inside mid.
Yep 33 I think. He's been in the gym a bit already too.

"Medium midfielder who is a prolific ball winner and creative user of the ball by both hand and foot. He played predominantly on the wing in the early matches of the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match against the Allies, gathering 33 disposals in a best on ground performance. "

Yes his only game as an inside mid in the under 18 championships was the last game against the allies where he got 33 disposals and was best on ground

And

Throughout the championship he played with a groin strain.
As an inside mid against the Allies with a mid named Green playing for them? Very happy with our selection, got a rare combination of stamina, pace, agility and silky skills!

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
But we’re the most well run club in Australia you always say so why are you judging buddy contract?
I've always been harsh on his recruitment as far as our list issues are concerned.

We are a well run club but that one decision is the one that should be blamed before any other one regarding list management.
In other words, if we criticise the Tippett , Ling, Towers, etc, etc recruitment, we must first be critical of the Buddy recruitment as harming our total list management because it was so extreme & came after the Tippo one. You know I've said this all along.
We are still a well run club because we've been able to zigzag our way through the "rules on the run" & trade ban the AFL have thrown at us to thwart our progress after landing Buddy.

Now am I unhappy we got Buddy?
No way! Great for our off field development as a club, but it has harmed our ability to keep wanted players.

I've always been harsh on his recruitment as far as our list issues are concerned.

We are a well run club but that one decision is the one that should be blamed before any other one regarding list management.
In other words, if we criticise the Tippett , Ling, Towers, etc, etc recruitment, we must first be critical of the Buddy recruitment as harming our total list management because it was so extreme & came after the Tippo one. You know I've said this all along.
We are still a well run club because we've been able to zigzag our way through the "rules on the run" & trade ban the AFL have thrown at us to thwart our progress after landing Buddy.

Now am I unhappy we got Buddy?
No way! Great for our off field development as a club, but it has harmed our ability to keep wanted players.
Putting 1million on Tippetts head to keep gws etc away is the biggest mistake the club had made in a decade

Corpuscles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2006
Lunatic Park
AFL Club
Sydney
52.4% kicking efficiency at the U18 carnival.

I'm going to try to get excited over time about him, no where near that yet though.

It is all here in the interviews. Do the research

He admits a poor carnival but was named AA. He had and played through groin strain.
Watch his vids several times he passes effectively on his non preferred right often.
When he has time it is pin point.
Stats do not tell the story!. It is where and in what circumstances the kick is made. (Same Dustin Martin and Pat Dangerfield)

Go watch him with a few of the -ve mates on here. Have a beer and complain about it being emptied (being half full) as you drink it.

Unfortunately i may be a sceptic.

If he is a Dalrymple selection I am happy as but if a Beatson selection I will have to wait for 3 years to judge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sounds like he was a Beatson selection, but I doubt he made it without Darlymple's input. A selection as important as pick 5 I imagine would need a consensus view from our recruiting team.

too many worrying about what he cant do, when you look at what he can do, you can see why we jumped on him before the Crows got him at 7. Well done Dylan, glad you are a Swan.

Back