Past #3 Dylan Stephens

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Why don't you hold much value in SANFL? No different to VFL. In fact the standard is quite high.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don't mind me. Hardly an expert.
Are there many seniors coming out of the SANFL and doing much at AFL level? Genuine question, I haven't noticed many being mentioned.
Watching some of the tape of the young SA recruits playing there..., doesn't look much better than the ACTAFL did back in the day (which was an under-rated league then btw). :D
It's good he's played against grown men, no doubt at all, that will help - hoping he can do well for us. Needs to start eating whatever Ollie has been the last 12 months.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't mind me. Hardly an expert.
Are there many seniors coming out of the SANFL and doing much at AFL level? Genuine question, I haven't noticed many being mentioned.
Watching some of the tape of the young SA recruits playing there..., doesn't look much better than the ACTAFL did back in the day (which was an under-rated league then btw). :D
It's good he's played against grown men, no doubt at all, that will help - hoping he can do well for us. Needs to start eating whatever Ollie has been the last 12 months.
ACTAFL was and still is a long way off SANFL. Compare SANFL, WAFL to the VFL

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Stephens dual footed? Or purely a left footer?

Can confirm he has 2 feet attached to 2 legs. Left AND right.

Well at this point in time anyway.

IM seeing some Lachie Whitfield in this guy.....Which is very exciting.

Or Whitfield's eerily similar counterpart Zac Williams. Who was pretty much BOG in the preliminary final this year playing predominantly inside, racking up 16 contested possessions. Obviously Stephens is a long way from that level, has barely started his first ever pre-season, but I'd be hoping he took good note of how Williams went about things in that game. He'd be considered under-sized for an inside mid, his natural role is a half-back flanker, but he used his athleticism and agility to get from contest to contest and make an impact, and was prepared to take the hits against opponents much bigger than him. It definitely worked to GWS' advantage as the less dynamic Pies mids like Adams, Pendlebury, Crisp and Phillips had rings ran around them.

I'd hope that style of footy on the inside would serve as a bit of a blueprint for Stephens as he works towards getting games on the inside.

Last edited:
Or Whitfield's eerily similar counterpart Zac Williams. Who was pretty much BOG in the preliminary final this year playing predominantly inside, racking up 16 contested possessions. Obviously Stephens is a long way from that level, has barely started his first ever pre-season, but I'd be hoping he took good note of how Williams went about things in that game. He'd be considered under-sized for an inside mid, his natural role is a half-back flanker, but he used his athleticism and agility to get from contest to contest and make an impact, and was prepared to take the hits against opponents much bigger than him. It definitely worked to GWS' advantage as the less dynamic Pies mids like Adams, Pendlebury, Crisp and Phillips were rings ran around them.

I'd hope that style of footy on the inside would serve as a bit of a blueprint for Stephens as he works towards getting games on the inside.
Then they moved Williams the next week which was mind-boggling.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Josh Kelly when drafted 182cm 73kg.
Stephens listed as 183cm 69kg (but other reports of up to 73kg as well).

Stephens has been referred to as a “Josh Kelly clone”.

He played 18 games in 2014 for the Giants.

See no reason why Stephens won’t play a fair bit of senior footy in 2020.
Kelly was more than serviceable in his first two years.
In season 3 he became a genuine gun.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Would tear the private schools comp apart. 😂
I reckon Dylan would have been pick in mid teens most other years.
I certainly don't see him having the impact of last years 5,6 or 7 in Rozee, King and Smith at Dogs.
And I sure as sheet don't hold much store in looking good in the SANFL.
It'll be up to his dedication and development I guess - and he seems to have the qualities to give that a crack.
Wishing him well.
Really hope he succeeds.

I think Rozee was highly rated due to his late 2018 season form in the SANFL.

I think the last SANFL v VFL game was in 2016 and the SANFL won by 19 points.
Of interest for trivia buffs is that SANFL side included a certain AFL premiership star - W Rioli....

Back