Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

Proud parents at their first game to see Dylan play
Gotta 😍 this club

Florent ok but geez he is no star
You look at midfield players after their draft positions in the respective drafts
2019 Stephens

Serong has played better so far.

2016Florent

Simpkin, Perryman and Powell Pepper maybe.

I still think we drafted OK given hindsight. If targeting midfielders.

You look at midfield players after their draft positions in the respective drafts
2019 Stephens

Serong has played better so far.

2016Florent

Simpkin, Perryman and Powell Pepper maybe.

I still think we drafted OK given hindsight. If targeting midfielders.
To be honest mste and excuse the language but I really don’t give a duck

We took him at 5 and ATM he looks like a bust

I don’t care about other teams selections it’s about what we did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still thought he was pretty clean overall when he was involved.

I’d rather be worried about getting him more involved (when his natural instinct seems to be to go the ball rather than stay on the outside) than him butchering his disposal when he was involved.

Thought his disposal was decent apart from that finish at goal. He hit his targets.

I don't think you can blame him for inconsistency and not being at the pace when hes dropped every 2nd week.

Give him a run of games and see if he develops imo

I'm not writing him off at all but this is why draft picks aren't as valuable as people think, re: Daniher trade.
Bingo. I'd take Daniher over Stephens in a heartbeat, draft picks are always overrated versus actual historical output

Players like Gaff and Sidebottom weren’t stars at 20 either.
Those are bizarre players to compare him to. Both were absolute locks in their teams in their second season, playing every game, Gaff averaging 24 disposals and Sidebottom averaging 18 disposals and a goal. Sidebottom played in 2 grand finals that year, and Gaff was one of his team's best players in 2 key finals that year.

We'd be absolutely thrilled if Stephens was tracking even remotely similarly.

Can’t quite believe what I’m reading on this thread.

Dylan Stephens is going to be good. Really good.

He’s tracking very well for a lightly framed 2nd year mid.

He has composure, endurance, a decent kick and a good tank.

Really good but struggling to get a game in the 1s

im not sure how he gets written off yet nor how anyone thinks he will be good

barely seen him play

he is in now,keep him in for a month, give some slack for debut in a bs covid year too

Is he really out of contract this year? I thought first rounders automatically get a 3 year deal.

Can’t quite believe what I’m reading on this thread.

Dylan Stephens is going to be good. Really good.

He’s tracking very well for a lightly framed 2nd year mid.

He has composure, endurance, a decent kick and a good tank.

Gaff played 24 games and averaged 25 disposals in year 2. Worlds ahead of Stephens. Not even sure they’re playing the same game.

Sidebottom had also well and truly established himself as a best 22 player in a better side than we are.

Again picking stats that help your argument. So can I.

Jarrad McVeigh

Whole year in reserves 2003

2nd year - 20 games at AFL level (2004)
Disp Avg: Drum Roll tadadada (7.25)
Goal Avg: 0.3
Tack Avg: 1.3

3rd year 2005 13 games
Disp Avg: Drum Roll tadadada (9.2)
Tack Avg: 2.2

4th year 2006 25 games
Disp Avg: Drum Roll tadadada (10.1)
Goal Avg: 0.8
Tack Avg: 2.8

Why wasn't McVeigh a star, why didnt we dump him, we just waited for him to develop

Stephens started with limited training, 3x3 etc, no reserves or NEAFL and gets 10 games

1st year 2020 10 games
Disp Avg: 12.5
Tack Avg: 3.3

2nd year 2021 3 games (1 as a late sub so .2 of a game)
Disp Avg: 11.4
Goal Avg: 0.5
Tack Avg: 2.3

Clearly Stephens is going fine and most can't remember Mc Veigh starting.

Nic Fosdicke started the same way, so did Jude Bolton, so let it go until the facts showed he hasnt improved or the club don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back