Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

Nope. Will Hayward was only 70 kilos when he joined us and played most games in his first season. Why so bloody negative. He already plays against men and that hasn't been a problem. Not everyone is a Stewie Dew

View attachment 785828

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree, he’s going to be getting fed the ball on the outside so let him fly around at 60kg. Round 1 he will probably play

Goodes, Parker, Hannebery and Kirk got overlooked a few times as well.

I'm not sure what more we could've done re Robertson though. We only had pick five. I rated both Stephens & Robertson more than others who were rumoured to be around our pick like Ash & Flanders, but we could only take one. Robertson would've been a greater 'reach' at that pick than Stephens.

Not too thrilled. Needed an inside mid, got an outside mid who does not find that much of the ball and who "may" be able to play inside, but is not really proven.
Don't be so negative. From the Swans website:

He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match against the Allies, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with 2019 AFL Under-18 All Australian honours. He also progressed to play some excellent football at senior level with Norwood averaging, 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches.

Get excited!

Agree, he’s going to be getting fed the ball on the outside so let him fly around at 60kg. Round 1 he will probably play

Even if he doesn't, a NEAFL apprenticeship would not be such a bad thing for Stephens. His fellow South Australians Hewett and Dawson had decent stints in the NEAFL before getting regular senior games, and when they eventually did they looked comfortable at the level. On the other hand my one qualm with the NEAFL is that I'm not sure it helps outside players with their development, if only because it's so easy for them to dominate at that level and then they struggle to adapt when they don't have the time and space at the highest level. See: Stoddart, McInerney, Hiscox

Someone will, and that club is going to get a steal.

If he can fix his kicking and that's a big IF. The game is built on being able to really kick and find targets nowadays. We aren't the only club that has passed on him, might go early in the second tomorrow though, although I would prefer a few others still on the board. Reminds me of Valente last year who "slipped" to Freo's pick 32 (I think it's that number, was in the 30's).

Not too thrilled. Needed an inside mid, got an outside mid who does not find that much of the ball and who "may" be able to play inside, but is not really proven.

We will get one tomorrow, didn't need to take an inside tonight. Those mids you can take in the 2nd round. We've taken the class mid tonight.

I really like the fact we've taken a genuine mid, we've lacked a genuine wingman who can get his own ball in goodness knows how long. Stephens is the class, good pick. Was either him or Flanders, not fussed either way. Welcome aboard Dylan!

Played with a groin issue. Seems like the right pick for us.

"produced a promising 2019 national carnival, averaging 23.5 disposals and earning selection in the All-Australian team — all while playing through groin soreness"

"Moving away from friends and family doesn’t worry Stephens, who already has eyes on a potential home if he moves to his third state"

"If it is Sydney for example, I’ve got Will Hayward (who) I went to St Peter’s with,” he said"

“I spoke to him on the phone and he said ‘I’ve got a spare room in my apartment with Ollie Florent"

Was OK with Flanders until I saw his interviews, and I'm glad we stayed away. The no ****heads policy may be make-believe or not, but Flanders would have failed it by a long margin.

So that left Stephens, and I'm pretty happy with the pick. I also would have felt OK about Robertson, but recruiters all seem to have cold feet over him, so there must be some issue (disposal/flight risk/interviewed badly perhaps?).

Welcome aboard Dylan. Cheer Cheer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I missed his interview. What did he say?
Nothing specific, just had a general "i'm pretty hot ****" attitude and came in with hat backwards for an official AFL interview. It's a little thing, but he came across as a guy who felt he was doing clubs a favour by playing for them, rather than the other way around. I work in teaching/training, and you learn to read people. Sometimes you get it wrong, but most of the time you get it right. This guy just rang alarm bells as a bit of a campaigner. The fact he admits he "plays on the edge" and will probably get a few suspensions just backs it up. A bit of aggression is fine, but getting suspended affects the team. Anyone who says they expect to get suspended has a bit of a "me first" attitude, not a "team-first" attitude.

(I admit this is purely opinion based on very little evidence, but I'm going with it anyway).

Nothing specific, just had a general "i'm pretty hot ****" attitude and came in with hat backwards for an official AFL interview. It's a little thing, but he came across as a guy who felt he was doing clubs a favour by playing for them, rather than the other way around. I work in teaching/training, and you learn to read people. Sometimes you get it wrong, but most of the time you get it right. This guy just rang alarm bells as a bit of a campaigner. The fact he admits he "plays on the edge" and will probably get a few suspensions just backs it up. A bit of aggression is fine, but getting suspended affects the team. Anyone who says they expect to get suspended has a bit of a "me first" attitude, not a "team-first" attitude.

(I admit this is purely opinion based on very little evidence, but I'm going with it anyway).

Well he was likened to Toby Greene....so a few suspensions he's halfway there lol

Even if he doesn't, a NEAFL apprenticeship would not be such a bad thing for Stephens. His fellow South Australians Hewett and Dawson had decent stints in the NEAFL before getting regular senior games, and when they eventually did they looked comfortable at the level. On the other hand my one qualm with the NEAFL is that I'm not sure it helps outside players with their development, if only because it's so easy for them to dominate at that level and then they struggle to adapt when they don't have the time and space at the highest level. See: Stoddart, McInerney, Hiscox
Hiscox was never a player. He was a terrific runner who we tried to turn into a footballer. Didn't work - move on.
Stoddart does his best work in space. Doesn't get that space in Seniors so I agree so far.
McInerney had one game in Seniors but seems more able to create space than Stoddart.
This kid has already demonstrated at SANFL level that he can create space and hit targets. Pretty interesting get. A season in NEAFL may be a very good investment.

Pardon the intrusion. Congrats on your pickup. I knew Dyl from his time in Mildura and can say that he is an absolute top quality person. Will never have to worry about his attitude being a problem. During his time playing school footy he absolutely towelled up opposition despite being a year or two younger than those he played against (he was always one of the youngest in his year level). I’ll be tracking his career with interest. I always hoped he’d make his way to Essendon but given the way our trades have panned out over the past few years, it wasn’t going to happen. Looks like I’ll have to cheer for an opposition player every now and then.

Last edited:

I got the same feeling from his interview. A bit "Me"

Hiscox was never a player. He was a terrific runner who we tried to turn into a footballer. Didn't work - move on.
Stoddart does his best work in space. Doesn't get that space in Seniors so I agree so far.
McInerney had one game in Seniors but seems more able to create space than Stoddart.
This kid has already demonstrated at SANFL level that he can create space and hit targets. Pretty interesting get. A season in NEAFL may be a very good investment.
Stoddart and McInerney are destined for good things this year according to Beatson. Both with man-sized bodies and Stoddart's had the obligatory "time to get serious" haircut. If Ling gets a senior gig along with those two and Stephens that's a big injecton of serious pace.

Pardon the intrusion. Congrats on your pickup. I knew Dyl from his time in Mildura and can say that he is an absolute top quality person. Will never have to worry about his attitude being a problem. During his time playing school footy he absolutely towelled up opposition despite being a year or two younger than those he played against (he was always one of the youngest in his year level). I’ll be tracking his career with interest. I always hoped he’d make his way to Essendon but given the way our trades have panned out over the past few years, it wasn’t going to happen. Looks like I’ll have to cheer for an opposition player every now and then.
No intrusion. Nice to hear some thoughts on Stephens closer to home. He seems a nice bloke with big enthusiasm. Plenty of first round picks end up on the scrap heap so he needs to be really determined.

Sounds like he'll be made to feel comfy living with Will Hayward and Ollie Florent. They're a good pair to help him get settled into both the club and the lifestyle. Stephens seems like he's prepared to do the hard yards from his interview, talented but without tickets on himself and able to play inside or outside mid. Looks like he tackles well too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature early and given a run with role. Some fans hate seeing a young kid bound to a great opposition midfielder but it's a good way to learn the craft and midfielders like Kirk, Jack & Hewett all cut their teeth on running with good opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back