Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

429 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 6 tackles, 18 effective disposals
A criticism in the past has been his disposal efficiency and his willingness to attack the ball and tackle
Yesterday's game he looked to have stepped up to the level required with his thirst for the ball and making a contest.
Could be a very valuable 200 gamer for us

played his best game last night IMO

Shitting on me
Same

Still had some questionable moments but took the game on and it was a really good performance

well yeah, before we traded pick 4 for 6 and a future pick with GWS.
We took Macasey with pick 6 who is likely to be delisted soon :(
Well that was your mistake right there. #6 in the National Draft is cursed and nothing ever good comes from pick 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did you get for the downgrade in picks?

Looks like:

GWS pick 4
Ade pick 6 and 10 in 2020

Turns out to be:

Lachlan Ash for McAsey and Pedlar

If we go by players taken directly after the pick it could have been

Lachlan Ash for Young and Bruhn

Stuck my neck out in the draft and said I wanted this guy at 5. Have to admit I was a bit worried I had that one wrong for a while there, started having flashbacks of Meredith (by flashbacks I mean my error not that they’re similar).

Looking the goods now.

Last edited:
Do the Swans give out a “most improved” award (like my local club u/10s always do)?

If so - congratulations Dylan Stephens on winning it this year!

So pleased to see him flourish. He’s becoming what we all hoped he would.

And to those who declared him a bust (there’s a few of you out there) …. I’m so happy that you were wrong. Very wrong.

Do the Swans give out a “most improved” award (like my local club u/10s always do)?

If so - congratulations Dylan Stephens on winning it this year!

So pleased to see him flourish. He’s becoming what we all hoped he would.

And to those who declared him a bust (there’s a few of you out there) …. I’m so happy that you were wrong. Very wrong.
Yes DQ but we delist the players who are our "most improved".

The improvement from Stephens was evident against Collingwood.
He made good decisions with the ball under pressure. His defensive game, lacking in the past, is more intense, and a decent 400 metres gained.
Stephens looks to have plenty of growth still to come, so a lot of upside there for the Swans

Hasn’t he filled out since coming to the club? Looks very assured with ball in hand these days.
Not hard to imagine him being a fleet footed beast in his mid to late 20s
Saw him exhibit some less-than-desirable body language off the field of play his first game day at the SCG, after playing seconds and couldn’t have cared less if he moved on. Quite content he is ours now tho.

Hasn’t he filled out since coming to the club? Looks very assured with ball in hand these days.
Not hard to imagine him being a fleet footed beast in his mid to late 20s
Saw him exhibit some less-than-desirable body language off the field of play his first game day at the SCG, after playing seconds and couldn’t have cared less if he moved on. Quite content he is ours now tho.
I reckon his body shape now is very JPK like. Even has the hunch in his thoracic spine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back