Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

Off the top of my head I remember round 15 vs St Kilda, round 18 vs Freo, round 19 vs Adelaide, round 23 vs St Kilda and the QF vs Melbourne as all being good games at worst for Stephens. The ones in between weren't bad either. For where he's at in his career I reckon that's a really solid effort.

I don't remember all these good games he played last year. He was ok and showed some promising improvement.

But anyone declaring him a great selection at 5 off winning a preseason time trial needs to get a grip.
No one has , duds from all clubs win time trials. I believe he will be a great selection , maybe a better look this year

I don't remember all these good games he played last year. He was ok and showed some promising improvement.

But anyone declaring him a great selection at 5 off winning a preseason time trial needs to get a grip.
You can only judge the selection after 3-4 years, I reckon, by going back and comparing a player to whoever else was available at our selection.
Remember too that these are young 17-18 year olds with lots of development and growth.
I reckon our selectors did pretty well from who was available.
1Matt RowellGold CoastOakleigh ChargersNAB League
2Noah AndersonGold CoastOakleigh ChargersNAB League
3Luke JacksonMelbourneEast FremantleWAFL
4Lachlan AshGreater Western SydneyMurray BushrangersNAB League
5Dylan StephensSydneyNorwoodSANFL
6Fischer McAseyAdelaideSandringham DragonsNAB League
7Hayden YoungFremantleDandenong StingraysNAB League
8Caleb SerongFremantleGippsland PowerNAB League
9Liam HenryFremantleClaremontWAFL
10Tom GreenGreater Western SydneyCanberra DemonsNEAFL
11Sam FlandersGold CoastGippsland PowerNAB League
12Kysaiah PickettMelbourneWoodville-West TorrensSANFL
13Will DayHawthornWest AdelaideSANFL
14Miles BergmanPort AdelaideSandringham DragonsNAB League
15Cody WeightmanWestern BulldogsDandenong StingraysNAB League
16Cooper StephensGeelongGeelong FalconsNAB League
17Brodie KempCarltonBendigo PioneersNAB League
18Mitch GeorgiadesPort AdelaideSubiacoWAFL
19Sam De Koning+GeelongDandenong StingraysNAB League
20Sam PhilpCarltonNorthern KnightsNAB League

You can only judge the selection after 3-4 years, I reckon, by going back and comparing a player to whoever else was available at our selection.
Remember too that these are young 17-18 year olds with lots of development and growth.
Very fair point. First 4 all gone at our pick. Green not available.

My point was in response to a poster saying people who were critical of Stephens at 5 have egg on their face.

If the draft was done again today, Stephens probably isn't in the top 15 so I don't know how people who were critical of him going so high have been proven wrong.

Considering the rumour according to Cal Twomey was that we were tossing up between Dyl and Sam Flanders, I think we made the right choice

My point was in response to a poster saying people who were critical of Stephens at 5 have egg on their face.

If the draft was done again today, Stephens probably isn't in the top 15 so I don't know how people who were critical of him going so high have been proven wrong.
You seem to be judging whether he's a success or not based on how well he lives up to the expectations of a pick 5, instead of just judging him on his merits. He played the last 12 games of the season, was part of a team that went 10-2, won two finals, and made a grand final, when some people were saying he wasn't good enough for the level.

I personally couldn't care less if Stephens never lives up to the expectations of a top 5 pick. I couldn't care less if he never wins a single individual honour or accolade in his career. As long as he's in our team, contributing and making us better, then that's a success to me. The whole is always better than the sum of its parts, and Stephens on the wing complements our team perfectly. Covers the ground exceptionally well to help out our half backs, and holds his width at stoppages for our mids to use him. That's all his job is at present and he's doing it.

You seem to be judging whether he's a success or not based on how well he lives up to the expectations of a pick 5, instead of just judging him on his merits. He played the last 12 games of the season, was part of a team that went 10-2, won two finals, and made a grand final, when some people were saying he wasn't good enough for the level.

I personally couldn't care less if Stephens never lives up to the expectations of a top 5 pick. I couldn't care less if he never wins a single individual honour or accolade in his career. As long as he's in our team, contributing and making us better, then that's a success to me. The whole is always better than the sum of its parts, and Stephens on the wing complements our team perfectly. Covers the ground exceptionally well to help out our half backs, and holds his width at stoppages for our mids to use him. That's all his job is at present and he's doing it.
The maturity :clapping:

Getting a fraction carried away.
Promising signs in the preseason, but would prefer to see him play two or three good games in a row before we decide he is a star.

Agree

Top 5 pick plays a few better games than he has provided before and now he is cemented and everyone has egg

I’ll still wait

They were better games for him no doubt but so they should

I am not judging anyone as a success or a failure. He has been okay so far. Hopefully he improves again this year and has a long career.

The comment was that people who were critical of Stephens at 5 now 'have egg one their face'.

I don't know how people who said we should take Serong or Young or Pickett, or Sam De Konig or a few others that went after Stephens have been proven wrong.

But anyway, I'm clearly in the minority there. I must be watching the wrong sport.

I am not judging anyone as a success or a failure. He has been okay so far. Hopefully he improves again this year and has a long career.

The comment was that people who were critical of Stephens at 5 now 'have egg one their face'.

I don't know how people who said we should take Serong or Young or Pickett, or Sam De Konig or a few others that went after Stephens have been proven wrong.

But anyway, I'm clearly in the minority there. I must be watching the wrong sport.
The comment was "a few posters have egg on their face regarding Stephens".

No mention of him being a pick 5. That's just the correlation you made.

Stephens can prove his detractors wrong without yet living up to his draft hype. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comment was "a few posters have egg on their face regarding Stephens".

No mention of him being a pick 5. That's just the correlation you made.

Stephens can prove his detractors wrong without yet living up to his draft hype. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Yeah, that's fair.

Although I think nearly all the criticism of Stephens has been based on his output compared to where he was taken in the draft.

He was better in the second half of last year. Which he needed to be. Some promising signs in preseason, but still a way to go to cement himself as genuinely good player.

Yeah, that's fair.

Although I think nearly all the criticism of Stephens has been based on his output compared to where he was taken in the draft.

He was better in the second half of last year. Which he needed to be. Some promising signs in preseason, but still a way to go to cement himself as genuinely good player.
yep.. If he was taken at p40 and producing in games and in the pre-season like he is, we'd be worshipping him like we worship J Mac.

Draftees are very rarely selected on how good they are, but rather how good they will be (if that makes sense?) Very few draftees have a big impact in their 1st season. eg.. Nick Daicos was 'exceptional' in his 1st year - as a 1st year player.. but he was only 'good' as a member of that team. Same can be said about Walsh. Most draftees take a few years before they start to strongly contribute. (Warners 3rd yr compared to his 2nd)
Stephens was 68kg when drafted - tiny! He was always going to take a few years. He steadily improved to the point he held his spot on the wing for the final 12 games (including finals).. and kicked a few great goals too.
Ive no doubt he'll be better this season, and will continue to improve for a few more years.
note: He was the player the Swans wanted, they were after an inside/outside mid. They tried to trade down a few spots (thinking they would still get him) but couldn't make that pick swap happen

Im a fan of Stephens, but wouldn't be surprised if he was traded this year. Another club might offer a truckload more cash than we can. He also plays a position that we can fill - Campbell, Corey Warner, Blakey, Florent, Mitchell, HHK etc
I hope he stays, and Ill back him to play the next 200 games for the Swans

yep.. If he was taken at p40 and producing in games and in the pre-season like he is, we'd be worshipping him like we worship J Mac.

Draftees are very rarely selected on how good they are, but rather how good they will be (if that makes sense?) Very few draftees have a big impact in their 1st season. eg.. Nick Daicos was 'exceptional' in his 1st year - as a 1st year player.. but he was only 'good' as a member of that team. Same can be said about Walsh. Most draftees take a few years before they start to strongly contribute. (Warners 3rd yr compared to his 2nd)
Stephens was 68kg when drafted - tiny! He was always going to take a few years. He steadily improved to the point he held his spot on the wing for the final 12 games (including finals).. and kicked a few great goals too.
Ive no doubt he'll be better this season, and will continue to improve for a few more years.
note: He was the player the Swans wanted, they were after an inside/outside mid. They tried to trade down a few spots (thinking they would still get him) but couldn't make that pick swap happen

Im a fan of Stephens, but wouldn't be surprised if he was traded this year. Another club might offer a truckload more cash than we can. He also plays a position that we can fill - Campbell, Corey Warner, Blakey, Florent, Mitchell, HHK etc
I hope he stays, and Ill back him to play the next 200 games for the Swans
Better than Campbell atm

Last edited:
Don’t think Stephens will ever be nearly as good as him (very few players have been), but if Stephens played through the middle I reckon he would look a bit like Simon Black.

I reckon that is the kind of role Stephens wants to play and believes he can.
IF HE'S HALF AS GOOD AS BLACK WE WILL HAVE A STAR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back