Past #3 Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

12SyGW20DC0774.JPG

Dylan Stephens
The Sydney Swans used their first pick five since Jarrad McVeigh in 2002 to lock in a talented midfielder from South Australian club Norwood at the 2019 AFL Draft. Dylan Stephens is a prolific ball-winner and creative user of the footy by hand and foot. He played predominantly on a wing in the early matches of the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships before starring on the inside in the final match, gathering 33 disposals in a best-on-ground performance. A penetrating left-footer, he averaged 23.8 disposals and 4.8 tackles across the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships and was rewarded with All Australian honours. He also played some excellent football at senior level with Norwood, averaging 18.2 disposals and 4.6 tackles in 12 matches. Stephens enjoyed a breakout season for the Bloods in 2020 with a memorable AFL debut in Round 6 against Richmond alongside fellow debutant, Chad Warner. Stephens finished the campaign with eight appearances, averaging 12.5 disposals and 3.4 marks per game, while also kicking two goals.

Dylan Stephens
DOB: 08 January 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #5, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Red Cliffs (Vic)/Walkerville (SA)/St Peter's College (SA)/Norwood (SANFL)

I made a post a while ago that he doesn’t take small enough steps while running. It’s this that makes him look like he doesn’t have enough time and makes him slow to respond to respond to opposition.

It would be incredibly hard, but I think the best thing he could do for his career is spend an entire offseason with a running coach to correct his stride for AFL football.
This. Jack Hiscox ready, willing and able, but hang on, I’m booked out helping Amartey with endurance and McLean with his speed. I like fast players.

He is.
I help teach in a couple of primary schools in Victoria. No kid knows him. I'm in western Victoria and they all love the Bont and Essenbomb players. Never heard of him.
One kid said to me who is your favorite player? I said Errol Gulden. He didn't know who he was. I said he got fourth in the Brownlow. He will win it next year. They don't know him.
Don’t worry. They will know him by the time he is done.

really? you asked the question I gave you the answer and also stated that the recruiters see what they see at the time. well done yourself
It is so easy after the event. Easy to judge when you know the result. Not so easy when you have to do it live. Lots of criticism of past events in recruiting. Easy to pot shot failed draft picks. Shoulda coulda woulda done better. My three sisters.
BTW Buddy also selected Dylan apparently. He must be a poor judge of footy talent too.

It is so easy after the event. Easy to judge when you know the result. Not so easy when you have to do it live. Lots of criticism of past events in recruiting. Easy to pot shot failed draft picks. Shoulda coulda woulda done better. My three sisters.
BTW Buddy also selected Dylan apparently. He must be a poor judge of footy talent too.
rusty I'm not having a go at the recruiters, I was happy with the Stephens selection at the time. But you asked not 4 posts ago who we should have selected, so I answered with 3 players that came after Stephens who at this stage of their careers are better. Don't ask that question if you don't want the honest answer.

rusty I'm not having a go at the recruiters, I was happy with the Stephens selection at the time. But you asked not 4 posts ago who we should have selected, so I answered with 3 players that came after Stephens who at this stage of their careers are better. Don't ask that question if you don't want the honest answer.
No worries Brad. I am probably not having a go at you. Sorry. But a collection of previous posts that seem to think drafting is easy and we should have picked someone else. This thread has gone on so long that I think we only made one mistake in drafting over the last 10 years.
Imagine trying to pick the best 18 year old straight out of school from a bunch of schoolies. And get it right every time.

No worries Brad. I am probably not having a go at you. Sorry. But a collection of previous posts that seem to think drafting is easy and we should have picked someone else. This thread has gone on so long that I think we only made one mistake in drafting over the last 10 years.
Imagine trying to pick the best 18 year old straight out of school from a bunch of schoolies. And get it right every time.
All good Rusty, drafting isn't an exact science we all know that, so easy to look back and say who we should have taken. I was happy with the Stephens pick fwiw, and he may still turn out to warrant that pick 5 selection, it just won't be at Sydney.

Helluva job being a recruiter. For one kid you have to watch over a period of time and try to judge their best, their most developable traits and their worst, how they train, how they react under pressure, how they relate to teammates and coaches and that's ONE kid. Now multiply by 250. Not too hard to split the top and the bottom but how about 5 and 9? Starting to get pretty subjective?
My recollection of the time was that all 4 were OK except that Stephens was a bit light for mine.
I'm disappointed that he didn't kick on but the world hasn't ended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wanted a Josh Kelly type and it clouded our judgement

At the time Stephens looked extremely likely as an inside outside mid but ultimately he didn't demand the ball or a spot and guys like Errol really came on and he got benched

It's why you draft best available early no excuses

He is.
I help teach in a couple of primary schools in Victoria. No kid knows him. I'm in western Victoria and they all love the Bont and Essenbomb players. Never heard of him.
One kid said to me who is your favorite player? I said Errol Gulden. He didn't know who he was. I said he got fourth in the Brownlow. He will win it next year. They don't know him.

Can they find Sydney on a map?

He is.
Errol will force them to know him in the next few years.

Helluva job being a recruiter. For one kid you have to watch over a period of time and try to judge their best, their most developable traits and their worst, how they train, how they react under pressure, how they relate to teammates and coaches and that's ONE kid. Now multiply by 250. Not too hard to split the top and the bottom but how about 5 and 9? Starting to get pretty subjective?
My recollection of the time was that all 4 were OK except that Stephens was a bit light for mine.
I'm disappointed that he didn't kick on but the world hasn't ended.

Our recruiters do better than just about any. We've found absolute gems late in the draft & via the rookie draft.

I don't think they make many mistakes but I think we could call this one a bust. It happens. Move on.

Who should we have picked ?

Serong, someone good

Yeah there is an element of crab shoot. But I am not calling for their heads, but he didn't make it, wasted the pick, unfortunately

It easy to judge after, but that doesn't mean you dont assess how things went, apply that to anything.

Plus go to the draft thread anyway, who was saying grab Stephens.. not like fans wanted it and change their mind.

I do take the point of being the Monday Quarterback

Remember that OMG I can’t believe we got Logan feeling ? Was so pumped.

With Dyl it was a WTAF feeling esp when I’d hoped for Serong.

In fairness we all knew they stuffed it there and then. Don’t think 20/20 hindsight applies here.

Even worse was willing myself for the next 3 years for him to be pick 5 worthy but knowing deep down he’d never make it.

Not the kid’s fault, poor guy should have been picked in the 40’s, unfair expectations on him. You could see it weighing down on his confidence.

Hope he has a long and fruitful career, think he may end up a journeyman of the sport.

And at the end of the day, he just wasn’t fast enough. I like fast players.

well yes you were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back