Player Watch #3: Harry Sheezel - 2023 AFL RS, AFLPA Best First Year Player, 2023 SBM, NMFC Best Young Player - signed thru 2030

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a better candidate for captaincy next year?

Maybe Larkey for a couple of years but I think it's inevitable that this bloke takes captaincy.

Poor kid.

Sheezel ahead of Larkey, and it isn't close.

Sheezel ahead of Larkey, and it isn't close.

I agree. The only reason I'd give it to Larkey is to protect Sheezel.

Captaining a pile of s**t would be an immense amount of weight for a 20 year old to carry.

The media will have a ball criticising the decision and painting the club as irresponsible.

Is there a better candidate for captaincy next year?

Maybe Larkey for a couple of years but I think it's inevitable that this bloke takes captaincy.

Poor kid.
Shitful position to be in, but it's almost just bite the bullet time. Cut bait with the older blokes. None of them show anything leadership wise. They're all waiting for someone else to do it.

He's doing a fair bit of media and seems mature beyond his year.

Maybe you go down the co captain route for another year or 2. Larkey and Sheezel.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I agree. The only reason I'd give it to Larkey is to protect Sheezel.

Captaining a pile of s**t would be an immense amount of weight for a 20 year old to carry.

The media will have a ball criticising the decision and painting the club as irresponsible.
At 20, come seasons end, he's is going to be one of the veterans of the list.

Sheezel is already the face of the club.

He's mature beyond his years.

I don't see Captaincy as being an onerous burden on him. Hell, he already does more media than Luke or Jy anyway.

I actually feel sorry for this kid.

He’s 19 years old and the amount of pressure being placed on him externally to be the saviour to our club is ridiculous.

Making him Captain next year would be a shocking call.
I think a bigger mistake would be letting him toil in these formative years under awful leadership. Simpkin, McDonald and Larkey are not adequate captain choices.

I think a bigger mistake would be letting him toil in these formative years under awful leadership. Simpkin, McDonald and Larkey are not adequate captain choices.

I like it, destroy our best player with a ridiculous amount of pressure because Larkey, McDonald and Simpkin aren’t great leaders.

I like it, destroy our best player with a ridiculous amount of pressure because Larkey, McDonald and Simpkin aren’t great leaders.
Not great? They're atrocious. I think you underestimate him. He's respected, assured, loved by the media and improves everything he touches. We have the off field leaders in Clarko and Sonya to protect him when unfair criticism arrises.

This is all moot anyway as the club doesn't have the balls to do it. So sick of the defeatist attitude we have. It's pathetic.

Not great? They're atrocious. I think you underestimate him. He's respected, assured, loved by the media and improves everything he touches. We have the off field leaders in Clarko and Sonya to protect him when unfair criticism arrises.

This is all moot anyway as the club doesn't have the balls to do it. So sick of the defeatist attitude we have. It's pathetic.
No at all, he’s one of the most impressive kids I’ve seen for his age.

But he’s still just a kid.

No at all, he’s one of the most impressive kids I’ve seen for his age.

But he’s still just a kid.
He's a young man. If things don't change course drastically, before you know it he'll be a man that has had his talent wasted following direction from clowns or be playing finals yearly at another club.

I'd agree with you if we had subpar leaders to hold a spot for him until he reaches the ripe old age of 23 but we don't. We have jokes, stealing livings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a young man. If things don't change course drastically, before you know it he'll be a man that has had his talent wasted following direction from clowns or be playing finals yearly at another club.

I'd agree with you if we had subpar leaders to hold a spot for him until he reaches the ripe old age of 23 but we don't. We have jokes, stealing livings.

Find another way to fix our poor leadership, throwing it to Sheezel would be wrong.

He's still finding his way in footy and more importantly life.

For me, he's already captain. Him or Larkey.

I don't consider Jy or Lmac captains.

I don't consider any of our senior players leaders of this footy club.

He's our leader. I want him to have freedom to berate any of his more experienced teammates after doing something stupid or donkey-esque. Give him the keys to the club.

Larkey is. I know Sheez screams leadership but I don’t want to burden him with the rebuilding team.

No …think outside the square a bit …
Have a think of his current & potential value … surely our of 2-3 first rounders there’s a Harley Reid ?
Would you seriously prefer Harley over Harry?

Harry has already proven that he is a gun, he's a leader and most importantly, that he's loyal! You'd sacrifice him to take a punt on 2 kids?

Harley is obviously a generational gun and seems like a great kid who cares about his team, but Sheezel is next level in terms of what he offers the North Melbourne Football Club specifically. His talent, ambition, leadership and loyalty is exactly what we need right now. I think we'd all be raving mad presently if we didn't have him at the club. He's a beacon for the supporter base and the younger players around him alike.

People are seriously addicted to draft picks. Overexposure, perhaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back