Past #3: Jed Anderson - delisted end '22 - 89 NMFC games - go well Jed

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember the ld days at your local football clubs they had awards at the end of the season for most improved, Jed would be that far in front for this it’s not funny.
At this rate the conversation in time will be what a steal he was

Remember the ld days at your local football clubs they had awards at the end of the season for most improved, Jed would be that far in front for this it’s not funny.
At this rate the conversation in time will be what a steal he was

He’d be leading the league most improved

Absolutely not, people are overplaying his pace a bit.

He's quick off the mark, but I wouldn't call him a outside speed demon.

His kicking is generally good, but not his main asset. He hits some great targets, but I wouldnt say he has a nice ball flight, hits a lot of low spinning drop punts, but his decision making is top notch.

He's a dynamic inside/outside mid/fwd, excellent overhead mark for his height, and tough as nails, will be a 5+ tackle a game player over his career i suspect. Natural goal kicker too, he likes to get forward of the play and finish off spreading onto the crumbs of the FWD's from the cntr square.

He's still slight and obviously had some ongoing shoulder problems are his major drawbacks atm imo.

If he plays all of next year uninterupted, I reckon we can expect 17d, 4 tackles, 1 goal a game from him type numbers.

Well, I was close in 2015, i'm glad he's the other side of the ledger!

Well, I was close in 2015, i'm glad he's the other side of the ledger!
Kudos to you mate, that description of his game-style shows that you were one of very few on the bandwagon early who had actually seen him play. I remember being surprised when I first saw him play because I couldn't see any signs of this explosive outside mid/ forward with elite kicking skills and pace that posters/ the media were hyping up!

That's just not what Jed is- it's not in his mindset. He's an inside mid with great hands and vision, and instinctively uses his pace to make tackles and close down space rather than get on the outside. He is also a superb mark. I absolutely love what the club has done with him this year- rather than trying to make him into something's he isn't, they've given him a role that allows him to use these strengths to address one of our main deficiencies ie accountability and pressure on opposition mids.

For everyone looking at our improvement, forget our defense or attack, they are basically unchanged. It's our inside midfield mix, namely Jed and Jacobs that have seen us exceed expectations and I reckon the club deserves massive credit for backing both those guys in (but particularly Jed given his previous output).

I rated his work rate, but he just could not get the footy in his hands and played the negating forward role in quite a few of his earlier games with our side.

He's now not pressuring other blokes who have the ball, he's beating them to the ball. It just goes to show what a jump in fitness can do for a bloke.

For everyone looking at our improvement, forget our defense or attack, they are basically unchanged. It's our inside midfield mix, namely Jed and Jacobs that have seen us exceed expectations and I reckon the club deserves massive credit for backing both those guys in (but particularly Jed given his previous output).

agreed, fix the midfield and the forwards have more opertunities and the defenders are not under relentless pressure all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you can't use the jed trade as part of your "joyces is an ironstein" spiel any longer :stern look

I’m a big fan of what Cam has been able to do. Our list is in a great position from a pay structure POV so we now have some serious cash to lure players in. Our recruiting & drafting has been great.

I’m a big fan of what Cam has been able to do. Our list is in a great position from a pay structure POV so we now have some serious cash to lure players in. Our recruiting & drafting has been great.
Couldn't agree me. I think the back room staff have us in a really good position. A number of teams have issues with a lack of talls but we have promising defenders and forwards coming through. We have identified targets and have money to burn. We are competitive.

Hrovat looks like a bust but we didn't pay much for him and it was a pretty low risk high reward type of deal. Garner getting 2 years instead of 1 but he had a good 2017 and once again we have the money so I'm sure 99% of us agree it was a good decision.

Never going to have a 100% success rate but i think he's done a great job. Not to mention we've only recently had the money to expand our off field operations (recruitment) so we've had less resources than collingwood, richmond etc.

Taken some punts on guys that showed a lot of promise (or had already delivered) but were hampered by injury. Jed case in point. Ahern could well be the best of the lot. Question for us is if we do land a big fish on high dollars, what happens to Jed, Brown, and Jacobs when their contracts come up. These guys deserve top dollar if they hold their form.

Taken some punts on guys that showed a lot of promise (or had already delivered) but were hampered by injury. Jed case in point. Ahern could well be the best of the lot. Question for us is if we do land a big fish on high dollars, what happens to Jed, Brown, and Jacobs when their contracts come up. These guys deserve top dollar if they hold their form.

Knowing how well the club has structured contracts in the past, I have no concerns. The club won’t lose players it wants to keep

Oh yes I can. Jed was never worth a first rounder in part. :stern look

We traded out Pick 15 and 50 and received Anderson, 38 & 40 which made Jed the equivalent value of Pick 37.

We then used those picks and Bastinac for a First Rounder and an upgrade of our next 4 draft picks.

Whichever way you look at that, it was a great effort by Joyce.

Had the pleasure of meeting Luke Breust at work last week and had a quick conversation. I mentioned the improvement of Jed at North and he was pretty happy for him. I think the Hawks probably didn't think Anderson would be useful in the role we are playing him in right now because back then, the Hawks still had their premiership midfield. Also, I didn't ask if they would take him back now. ;).

Breust was also aware of Cunnington breaking the contested possessions record. Which is nice to see. Wished his side all the best against Hodge and the Lions.

We traded out Pick 15 and 50 and received Anderson, 38 & 40 which made Jed the equivalent value of Pick 37.

We then used those picks and Bastinac for a First Rounder and an upgrade of our next 4 draft picks.

^ this!

Organisations look at the outcome from a development or growth strategy in terms of the OVERALL OUTCOME, not the individual bits; bastinac and our first rounder that year for Anderson and McKay was a COUP.....just ask the Lions supporters watching Bastinac go around in the NEAFL on good coin

LOL. The old, it was only the equivalent of Pick 37 argument to get Andersons. Did we or did we not use our first round pick in part to get Andersons? I put it to you had we held firm we would've got Andersons for a Third Rounder. But no, Joyces couldn't help himself. He couldn't be told. Yeah and using the Bastinac trade to justify the Andersons trade is just wrong. Brisbane's stupidity doesn't make Joyces a recruiting maestro. That was simply dumb luck. :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back