Past #3: Jed Anderson - delisted end '22 - 89 NMFC games - go well Jed

Remove this Banner Ad

78 games (68 for North) 32 games left to reach the F/S 100 game mark.

Is it bad that this is a serious thought when considering re-signing players?

Crosses my mind all the time.

2 years brings him to 28//29 where he'd be looking for a decent contract to finish off his career yeah?
Seems like a good move to see if he's going to continue the form that saw out the 2nd half of the 2020 season.
Smart move by NMFC; I doubt he'd be going anywhere after the contract ends and its not like he cant extend during the contract either.

2 years brings him to 28//29 where he'd be looking for a decent contract to finish off his career yeah?
Seems like a good move to see if he's going to continue the form that saw out the 2nd half of the 2020 season.
Smart move by NMFC; I doubt he'd be going anywhere after the contract ends and its not like he cant extend during the contract either.
Very much a personal view, but I think AFL players are much too sanguine about 1-2 year contracts - they're all one bad injury away from the end of a career, so if you're mid-career like Jed, I personally wouldn't be settling for 2 after his career best season. Anyway, great for North, but hope there's at least triggers for a third - and the money is good for his two years

Very much a personal view, but I think AFL players are much too sanguine about 1-2 year contracts - they're all one bad injury away from the end of a career, so if you're mid-career like Jed, I personally wouldn't be settling for 2 after his career best season. Anyway, great for North, but hope there's at least triggers for a Jed - and the money is good for his two years
But if the club gives him a 3-5 year contract and he does get a career ending injury then we'd have to pay him out big time.
Happening to beams and other players right now.
For a crash and bash type player it might just be too much risk to take on initially especially with salary cap squeezes across the AFL.

But if the club gives him a 3-5 year contract and he does get a career ending injury then we'd have to pay him out big time.
Happening to beams and other players right now.
For a crash and bash type player it might just be too much risk to take on initially especially with salary cap squeezes across the AFL.
oh indeed, I get the club perspective - I'm just looking at it from the players POV. You see players taking 2 years all the time so they can cash in at some point in the future (de Goey supposedly will take 2 years to get RFA status for example) - but what if you don't get through the 2 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much a personal view, but I think AFL players are much too sanguine about 1-2 year contracts - they're all one bad injury away from the end of a career, so if you're mid-career like Jed, I personally wouldn't be settling for 2 after his career best season. Anyway, great for North, but hope there's at least triggers for a third - and the money is good for his two years

I imagine that some sort of insurance that covers career threatening injuries is probably becoming more common and perhaps the premiums are paid as part of contracts?

Purely a guess, though.

I suspect he's backing himself in to gain a better contract extension before F/A kicks in.
I reckon.

Looks a bit weird from the outside though. Wanted 4, stalled negotiations because we only offered 3. Then accepted 2.

Yeah makes sense. I do think the 2 years is prudent on our behalf also.

Yeah, I think two years is a smart choice for both parties. Allows Jed to look for a multi-year deal elsewhere without his age at the time being too much of a detractor. It also benefits the club by protecting us from a form dip caused by injury or otherwise. We may end up paying more for an additional couple of years later, but I think the risk is worth it. Good signing.

Yeah, I think two years is a smart choice for both parties. Allows Jed to look for a multi-year deal elsewhere without his age at the time being too much of a detractor. It also benefits the club by protecting us from a form dip caused by injury or otherwise. We may end up paying more for an additional couple of years later, but I think the risk is worth it. Good signing.
I think 3 years wouldn't have been too large a risk but given the list transition then 2 years seems like a win win

If Jed has another season like this one, you would expect Pickering to be right in Brady's face looking for an extension. They would have the leverage to do so.

If Jed has another season like this one, you would expect Pickering to be right in Brady's face looking for an extension. They would have the leverage to do so.

Definitely - there was news that the club wanted him on three years, but maybe that was misinformation. I could understand why Pickering would prefer two years though as by then you'd expect the market to look better financially (COVID won't be as large of an impact), and he will still be at the age when a five-year deal elsewhere wouldn't be too ridiculous. This is all speculation though haha. In any case, great news that he is staying with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back