Player Watch #3: Jed Anderson -

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If memory serves we've had some of the lowest number of players regularly rotated through the midfield. No idea why. Assuming because Scott had his 'plan that is capable of beating anyone' and stuck as much as possible to the midfield groups he pictured for that. Versatility is such a weapon. Clarko sure as shit knew that during his reign at the top. We have a lot of players capable of playing midfield that have wildly differing elite attributes (and weaknesses, with a few that are more common than others), we SHOULD be mixing and matching to find an edge.
Around the middle of that patch of wins in 2016 there was a bit of talk about successful teams making the least number of changes over a season and playing the least number of players and I remember Scott talking about buying into that. That stability was something successful teams had.

Waussie

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s my biggest criticism of the Scott era. Not enough courage to be flexible. He wasn’t ignorant of that either, (except that it takes courage to make changes) he always said he wanted to play in a predictable manner..that everyone knew exactly what their role was.

From the outside looking in, it seems like he tried to apply a corporate work place philosophy to a sporting organisation and it failed.

The only thing elite sporting organisations and corporate organisations have in common is the capacity to generate massive revenue
I posted here a couple of years ago that BS will fail because he refused to take risks and change things up. Backing Shawy to do just that. You can't firmly match up on an opponent when you just don't know what and who to match up on. Never let your opponent know what to expect.

DesertRoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I posted here a couple of years ago that BS will fail because he refused to take risks and change things up. Backing Shawy to do just that. You can't firmly match up on an opponent when you just don't know what and who to match up on. Never let your opponent know what to expect.
Also weight of numbers, as they keep turning over guys in the midfield and we were stuck with the same set up.
they’d eventually just outwork us, as opposition players would be fresh going into the last and we’d have the same battlers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was wrong and thought Jed a bust.

Now i think he is very important.

Various people don't have him in best 22 teams. I completely disagree.

For mine if fit and firing he is a lock for best 22, especially assuming Jacobs is not ready to provide mid defensive intensity/pressure.

BigBadByron

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Need him fit and firing if Jacobs still out (unfortunately likely).

We have too many one way, front runners in our midfield.

Dumont does run hard the other way too to his credit.

Jed (albeit not a huge tank, he cracks in when possible) and Jacobs do both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JeanLucGoddard

Premium Platinum
Aug 21, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is about my favourite clip from last year. Hopefully we are bringing this from Rd 1. fu** even Goldy was about to clean someone up but they jumped out of the way.
The best bit here is how clearly UP Jed is at the at the end of clip, he loves this shit, he thrives on it.

I remember when I first encountered the term "recreational violence" - Jed is in that bag.

Top Bottom