Past 3. Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

He's our best player. He is near impossible to tackle when fully fit. Has an amazing side step and kicks goals from anywhere inside 50. He's an absolute prime-mover.

He wasn't that this year, but he was also *clearly* not fit.

Could be back to Brownlow-type player in 2014.

Agreed. .. He actually played well this year just not up to the level he was expected to, which makes it look like he played badly. .. Still love the way he stops on a dime and shrugs off tackles. .. Is a genuine inside/outside goalkicking mid. .. Still my favourite. ..

I am really looking forward to seeing Marc Murphy in action in 2014, i'm expecting it to be a big year from him.

Taking into consideration problems with his knee this year meaning no full pre-season and playing the whole season without being able to take part fully in training i think people's expectations of him were a lil high this year.

I think people externally (i.e. non-Carlton supporters) forget how good Murph is.

Equal fave for Brownlow in 2011.

Won the AFLCA award in 2011.

Won the B&F.

All-Australian.

Cannot wait for a fit Murph to remind the competition how good he is in 2014. Bargain pickup in fantasy next year too ;)

Watched the second half of the game against Geelong earlier this year. Despite people thinking he had a horrible game because Hunt got away and kicked 3, Murphy's second half efforts were amazing. Actually one of the best halves of footy I've seen him play.

Dare I say it? Back to his best. Looks like he's over injury, has 31 contested posssesions after 2 games (next best is Curnow with 21), almost double the number of clearances of his next best team mate. Looks like he's regained his foot speed and now I'd just like him to get a goal or two a game and the comeback is complete. Very happy that he's commited to his club and getting the best out of himself. Seems to really step up in Judd's absence.

Arguably his best captains game.

I'm not sure it's all that arguable, TBH. In my mind last night was clearly his best game as captain of the club.

Not only is he playing well but he's also leading particularly well. We had a horrid first half but his leadership came to the fore. He was switched on from the first bounce and seemed to be the only one busting a gut to make a difference.

He may not be the most vocal captain but equally as important is a captain who leads by example. I was critical of that aspect of his game last season but last night he was absolutely terrific in that respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good call, he was exceptional in that game also, particularly in the 2nd half from memory. Did his all to drag us over the line. Can't recall what he was like in the first half, though.
Think he was a bit down, but then so was the entire team so things weren't easy.

He came through in the end though in spectacular fashion.

Blokes who don't rant and rave (Judd) must be exceptional talents, superstars who let there actions on the field do the talking. With Juddy he took us there, he led we followed. Just don't see it with murph. He's solid and can break a game open but he doesn't have what Judd had. Damn fine player, but not elite enouph to get the Judd like effect.

Murphy finally making his mark for Blues
Murphy's nine clearances were the equal of any teammate. His 16 contested possessions were second only to Brock McLean. And his 11 tackles were a number shared only by another Blue often the subject of criticism, Bryce Gibbs.

Murphy had 12 tackles against the Bulldogs, too, putting together more in his past two games than he had in the first four. His 45 for the season puts him equal third in the AFL. It makes you wonder whether the perception of how a captain should carry himself on the field often surpasses the reality.
Murphy finally making his mark for Blues

Two standout games without Judd, Carrazzo, Curnow and other hardball winners in the side. Jet.

Just wish we could see he, Judd, Gibbs and Daisy in the same side sooner than later...they would compliment each other brilliantly.

I don't care whether we're bottom of the ladder, Murphy, Judd, Thomas, Gibbs, Simpson is a killer midfield and up there with the very best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back