Past 3. Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it is my imagination - but I reckon Murph is speaking with greater happiness and greater freedom in his voice and showing it in his body language these days. He is sounding like a Captain for the first time in years - rather than some kind of shamed schoolboy.

I haven't seen him so comfortable and happy to answer questions using his own 'voice' and not sounding like a shamed apologist. He seemed to be genuinely excited and happy to be working with Bolton - and this is a great thing. I never got the impression that the players 'connected' with Malthouse - they always spoke of him as a bloke with a great track record in other places and other set piece responses.

In particular I have also liked his responses to criticism of D.Thomas - and his view that Thomas is fit and firing and ready to deliver and went out of his way to remind everybody the Thomas has only played a couple of games in two years so rusty NAB Cup form is an irrelevancy - more relevant is his performance and fitness developed over the pre-season

I sense happiness and quiet confidence and if Murph is half right - perhaps Thomas may just end up being much more than a role player as the season develops.

He has never seemed comfortable with being the captain in my opinion. Just because he is (was) a star midfielder, does not mean he will be a great leader. Simpson should have been made captain but what can you do?

I just hope he can get back to something close to his 2011 form, although I am pretty safe in saying his best days are behind him.

He has never seemed comfortable with being the captain in my opinion. Just because he is (was) a star midfielder, does not mean he will be a great leader. Simpson should have been made captain but what can you do?

I just hope he can get back to something close to his 2011 form, although I am pretty safe in saying his best days are behind him.
Maybe Simmo would have been a better leader, but his best form is even further behind him than that of Murphy.

Maybe Simmo would have been a better leader, but his best form is even further behind him than that of Murphy.
That's arguable, Simpson's main attributes over his career have been fearlessness, outside run and accurate disposal. His courage is still second to none at the club so that's what makes him the standout choice as captain. I can only imagine what he thinks when he sees some of the theatrical acts Murphy pulls on the field.

That's arguable, Simpson's main attributes over his career have been fearlessness, outside run and accurate disposal. His courage is still second to none at the club so that's what makes him the standout choice as captain. I can only imagine what he thinks when he sees some of the theatrical acts Murphy pulls on the field.
Trouble is Simmo's football is now at such a level that, by the end of this season, he should not be best 22. In contrast, in the 2nd half of last season, when relatively free of injury concerns, Murphy demonstrated what a quality player he is & what a very good on-field leader he is.

I don't expect you to change your opinion, but I will say your description of Simpson, who has been a stalwart of the Carlton Football Club, is in line with many who are prepared to look beyond his flaws, while criticising other Carlton players for similar flaws.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I generally am a 360 fan (sorry haters!) however tonight's interview with Murph was so focused on the past and not the present it really frustrated me. All of these questions about how you were a coach association player of the year in 2011 and since then wtf has happened... scrutiny about the captaincy role etc. I wish they had just asked questions about where we were headed, the new personnel, coaches etc.

I wanted discussion of Weitering and his immediate composure to be part of the 22, Kerridge and his endevour compared to what we could get out of the man he was traded for, the progressive Bolton strategy, the almighty Cripps, the up and coming Boek etc etc. oh well. Guess we'll just have to give it to the tigs on Thu to get some recognition.

I think we gunna see Murphy be elevated to Elite again this year, those games he played last year post Malthouse, he was brilliant .it made me believer in him again , if he comes back playing to that standard he would move into the best 10 players in afl again..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back