Past 3. Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not in the position to loose classy experienced midfielders .. We aren't exactly bursting at the seams with AFL quality midfielders. Great resigning. Will be remembered as a Carlton great for sticking with the club when things were tough

i don't think he'll be remembered as a great.

good player, injury and playing as a mini inside mid really stopped him from achieving the heights and his leadership has been in one of our worst eras ever.

credit to marc but in the same conversation as wayne johnston, craig bradley, ken hunter, greg williams etc, i don't think so.

anyway glad he'll play on for us, hope he hands over to a new era of leadership and gets to enjoy winning more games in the next two years, maybe another one after that.

Another thing to consider in regards to how Murphy will be remembered is that, if and a big if I know, he plays through to a third year from now, with little to no injuries, he will be pushing for 300 games. I wonder if this was a consideration at all.

Last edited:
Really good news.

Looking forward to seeing Murph playing half back for the next couple of years.
Might even see some of the best of him now without the responsibility to lead from the middle and be the #1 guy.

It will be one of those decisions we wish were made sooner.

Another thing to consider in regards to how Murphy will be remembered is that, if and a big if I know, he plays through to a third year from now, with little to no injuries, he will be pushing for 300 hundred games. I wonder if this was a consideration at all.
I'm not sure about that. He is a good player, but 30,000 games seems like a lot.

So happy to hear this news. We really need Murph for the next few years until others can step up. I hope that he can really enjoy his next few years of footy released from the burden of leadership and playing a much more outside creative role. I am sure we will play finals within the next 2 years and I hope we can do more than that while he is still around. He deserves it.

I'm not sure about that. He is a good player, but 30,000 games seems like a lot.
typical carlton supporter - always limiting our players' potential..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news to start the week. Still very much required. Wouldn't have received anything for him if we go after free agents ourselves. Will be remembered as a very good one club player.
yep - people throwing the word champion around are getting a bit ahead of themselves in my opinion..........

i don't think he'll be remembered as a great.

good player, injury and playing as a mini inside mid really stopped him from achieving the heights and his leadership has been in one of our worst eras ever.

credit to marc but in the same conversation as wayne johnston, craig bradley, ken hunter, greg williams etc, i don't think so.

anyway glad he'll play on for us, hope he hands over to a new era of leadership and gets to enjoy winning more games in the next two years, maybe another one after that.

Interesting point - if he had played in the 70's and 80's era champion teams would he have been as good as say a Rod Ashman (who I'd liken him to) ?

And yet Rod would be considered a Carlton great.

Terrific news. Herald Sun reporting a 2 year deal worth $600,000 a year.
Any news if there a press conference scheduled for today?

yep - people throwing the word champion around are getting a bit ahead of themselves in my opinion..........

Reminds me a fair bit of Kieran Jack, especially if we assume the captaincy will be passed on before next season. Good, solid contributor, a bit undersized as a modern mid, not the most inspiring of leaders but someone valued highly by the club for their off-field attributes. Will probably play out his career as a small utility with good endurance, to be thrown around the field wherever needed.

Reminds me a fair bit of Kieran Jack, especially if we assume the captaincy will be passed on before next season. Good, solid contributor, a bit undersized as a modern mid, not the most inspiring of leaders but someone valued highly by the club for their off-field attributes. Will probably play out his career as a small utility with good endurance, to be thrown around the field wherever needed.

He is a fair bit better than Kieran Jack in my opinion. Would be top 2-3 ball user in our team still, you can see on the weekend the midfield is much better having him in there.

Loved him as a player, especially when he stood up in the 2013 final game of the H&A season against Port to get us into the finals. Great to see him sign on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back