Remove this Banner Ad

Possible reasons;

Shai Bolton at his best
Fully fit Dusty Martin
A fully fit Toby Nankervis

I don't see draft having any say on 2022
a good trade like Cerra or Green most def would

I think for 2022 our current group have to lift and no injuries

Doing the ladder predictor and by winning either the Brisbane game or Geelong game tigers will finish 8th. Playing port in port in the first week of finals and knocking them off. Then playing Brisbane in Brisbane, kicking them off obviously. The playing Bulldogs in the prelim, beating them comfortably…. Then playing Cats in the Granny on the G and completing the three peat. Cheers.

No doubt we’ll be far better in 2022 that we are at this precise moment simply because we should have most of the following available… Nankervis, Soldo (both massive improvements on what we had Sunday), Prestia, Lambert, Edwards, Broad, Balta.
We will have another pre season on RCD, Dow, Ralphsmith, Coleman-Jones, Maurice Jnr, Cumberland, Ryan and whoever I’ve missed.
The hunger should be back as well… they will hate watching on in September if we miss out!
PS: Sydney Stack will be so much better next year

Yep itd be great if Stack came out and just went wooooshka !!
Stack is the key IMO to further sustain led success . His animal like approach is reminiscent to me of another hard man , the great great Jacob Townsend . To me Stack is the hardest Tiger since the 80s triumph of Tony Free , Richard Nixon and Andy Goodwin Oppo players knew they were around , just waiting .

For Sydney Stack , to quote the great Captain Blood , it’s time to shop early in 2022…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

B: Grimes Astbury Broad
HB: Short Miller Mansell
C: Stack Prestia Pickett
HF: Lambert Balta Bolton
FF: Cotchin Lynch Rioli jnr

R:Nank Martin RCD

Int: Edwards Baker Cumberland Parker Graham Rioli Ralphsmith Dow Soldo etc

That is a good side. Miller at CHB is the only roughie.

Yeah I like your team .

I’m not sold though on Mansell . On the outcast. On Monday the carry on over Mansell was a real eye opener . I I still say he is stop gap at best .

I’d Certainly still be running Baker off Half Back . Maybe Cotch as well in a tagging (?) role .
Don’t know enough about Miller but I’ve heard orgasmic things about him in the podcast .

Great work on the team , always a tough gig .

Put Miller at FB then...

Yeah I like your team .

I’m not sold though on Mansell . On the outcast. On Monday the carry on over Mansell was a real eye opener . I I still say he is stop gap at best .

I’d Certainly still be running Baker off Half Back . Maybe Cotch as well in a tagging (?) role .
Don’t know enough about Miller but I’ve heard orgasmic things about him in the podcast .

Great work on the team , always a tough gig .

Mansell has pace, aggression, seems pretty good with the ball in his hand, has a good kick and can do a job. A few weeks ago against Williamstown in the VFL, a medium forward for them was taking us to town, marking everything. They put Mansell on him and he did nothing much for the rest of the game.
For a kid playing his first year he has settled really well. Sure Baker can play there as well, but Baker could be used in many positions, back, mid/wing, forward, so I named him on the bench. Rioli might even settle at HB, seems to adapted pretty well there also. So Mansell might not be starting, but he is there abouts.

Miller and orgasmic are not words often used other than perhaps by his partner (how very metro of me) if he has one. Would be nice if he worked out, big, strong and fast.

Mansell has pace, aggression, seems pretty good with the ball in his hand, has a good kick and can do a job. A few weeks ago against Williamstown in the VFL, a medium forward for them was taking us to town, marking everything. They put Mansell on him and he did nothing much for the rest of the game.
For a kid playing his first year he has settled really well. Sure Baker can play there as well, but Baker could be used in many positions, back, mid/wing, forward, so I named him on the bench. Rioli might even settle at HB, seems to adapted pretty well there also. So Mansell might not be starting, but he is there abouts.

Miller and orgasmic are not words often used other than perhaps by his partner (how very metro of me) if he has one. Would be nice if he worked out, big, strong and fast.
Answering my own posts... forgot about Vlastuin, so yes Mansell may have to wait.

Answering my own posts... forgot about Vlastuin, so yes Mansell may have to wait.

Hehe you and me forgot Vlaustin!!!
It’s hard hard work getting a best of side right .
I used to try it with the great West Indies sides of70s 80s and early 90s . Tortuous !!

Hehe you and me forgot Vlaustin!!!
It’s hard hard work getting a best of side right .
I used to try it with the great West Indies sides of70s 80s and early 90s . Tortuous !!

Watched Gordan Greenidge smash 214 not out against England just last night.... he definitely makes it. What a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see draft having any say on 2022
a good trade like Cerra or Green most def would

I think for 2022 our current group have to lift and no injuries

I get that you don't see it - and that's OK - but it can deliver something. Look at Port Adelaide with Rozee, Duursma, Butters (5 12 and 18 respectively in the 2018 Draft) - yes they finished 10th again in 2019 - but all three were making a significant impact - and fortuitously they finished top of the ladder the next year in 2020.

Essendon get Cox, Perkins and Reid (8, 9 and 10 in 2020) and whilst they may or may not make finals - they (along with Jones Pick30 in 2019) have made Essendon look better, and real pressure is on more stable players for games.

Fremantle have been less spectacular with Young, Serong, and Henry (7, 8, 9 in 2019) so far - so it is hit and miss. However, again I would argue that each of these players has put real pressure on more stable players for games.

Melbourne's fortuitous falter in 2019 got them Jackson, Pickett and Rivers (3, 12 and 32 in 2019) - now there is a group of draftees having impact - 16th to 9th to....... we'll see this finals series.

So the Draft can deliver something if the players selected are advanced enough or have enough special talents from the get go.

Last edited:

Cumberland will become a starter if his legs remain good. I think Bygoa Nyuon is a smokie for CHF and has Lynch as his guiding light for that role. We'll see how brave we are!

3 reasons.
1. get key players back.
2. get key players back
3. get key players back.

remarkable how good top players make coaches look.;)
Had a DVD of Liverpool in the 80’s and Kenny Dalglish was asked the secret of Liverpool’s success and he simply said, good players.

we finished in 2020 days before november ,2021 IT WILL BE AUGUST 21,LET THAT SINK IN,OUR BEST PREPARATION IN 5 YEARS COMING UP, compared to the worst shortest pre season ever, WE WILL IMPROVE BIG TIME, BOOKMARK IT.

If having a longer pre-season and playing less matches was an automatic benefit…..why do we not see more non finals teams rising up the ladder and less teams who have made finals backing up the next year?

Last season’s other 3 Preliminary Finalists are in the top 5 as we speak…..I don’t think it stands to reason this is the cause of our demise. Rule changes, umpiring, further loss of depth, injuries to key players, most disruptive draw with most interstate matches of Victorian clubs, and fewest 7 day breaks, and only four matches with home ground advantage.

The short turnaround may have affected Houli and Vlastuin who were badly damaged in the Grand Final, but beyond thatI would have thought it was as broad as it was long for the rest of our players, especially given the 21 shortened games comprised the whole season.

If having a longer pre-season and playing less matches was an automatic benefit…..why do we not see more non finals teams rising up the ladder and less teams who have made finals backing up the next year?

Last season’s other 3 Preliminary Finalists are in the top 5 as we speak…..I don’t think it stands to reason this is the cause of our demise. Rule changes, umpiring, further loss of depth, injuries to key players, most disruptive draw with most interstate matches of Victorian clubs, and fewest 7 day breaks, and only four matches with home ground advantage.

The short turnaround may have affected Houli and Vlastuin who were badly damaged in the Grand Final, but beyond thatI would have thought it was as broad as it was long for the rest of our players, especially given the 21 shortened games comprised the whole season.
listen carefully WE FINISHED THE SEASON IN 2020 LATE OCTOBER,ALMOST NOVEMBER,ONLY FEW INJURIES WOULD HAVE FIXED THIS,I KNOW FOR A FACT THIS WITH GEELONG ALSO WHO WERE PLAYING POORLY AS WELL TILL ROUNDS 9ISH,THEY GOT A GOOD INJURY RUN,WE DIDN,T, LIVE IN GEELONG AND KNOW SOME RECRUIT STAFF WELL.

listen carefully WE FINISHED THE SEASON IN 2020 LATE OCTOBER,ALMOST NOVEMBER,ONLY FEW INJURIES WOULD HAVE FIXED THIS,I KNOW FOR A FACT THIS WITH GEELONG ALSO WHO WERE PLAYING POORLY AS WELL TILL ROUNDS 9ISH,THEY GOT A GOOD INJURY RUN,WE DIDN,T, LIVE IN GEELONG AND KNOW SOME RECRUIT STAFF WELL.

I guess it is right last year’s top 4 all started 2021 a bit shaky. But three of them will finish top 5 and our injury run would surely have killed us this year regardless of the break between seasons, given we have lost all of our AFL ready depth. And moreso with all the other factors we had to contend with, including the unique re-scheduling of the bye for us and the Eagles, after which neither team seems to have fired a shot.

Geelong were playing fine by about Round 6 2021.

Port didn’t have a noticeably poor start really.

Brisbane were clearly going well from 4-5 rounds into the season.

So overall I am not sure this washes as a genuine reason for our demise. We ourselves were not playing any worse early than at any other part of the season.

Last edited:
I also think that even subconsciously, winning a few flags take the edge off. Geelong are unbelievably hungry and recruited blokes that have been good players at currently poor clubs to play important roles. If Geelong win the flag this year, which I think they likely will, I wonder how they will back up in 2021. They’re ageing, and they will have got their prize. I am not here to write them off - you never can, they’re the cockroaches of the AFL. But finally sitting down for a meal after going hungry, even sitting at the table last year, will have an impact.

I’m not ready to declare that “something stinks” at Punt Road yet. Every team is going to have poor years for a number of reasons. For us this year it has been the cliff arriving for some key players (Cotchin, Astbury, Houli) form and by extension confidence due to interrupted seasons (Vlaustin, Edwards, Lynch and Prestia) and injury (Balta, Martin, Nankervis and the four aforementioned players.). Though Nank has been stellar all year. Not his best game last night, but in my eyes he’s been a clear improver again this year.

By the same token, we are at a critical juncture. I’ve been strong on the idea that we must absolutely avoid one contract players (Mitchell, Lynch, Talia) and go for younger multiple-contract options. Next year isn’t about a flag: Melbourne, Footscray and Sydney have arrived and will have a number of very strong years. Next year is about finding the group that will take us to the next one. It doesn’t mean we can’t and shouldn’t be aiming for the ultimate success, but not that we should judge success in such binary terms.

I also think that even subconsciously, winning a few flags take the edge off. Geelong are unbelievably hungry and recruited blokes that have been good players at currently poor clubs to play important roles. If Geelong win the flag this year, which I think they likely will, I wonder how they will back up in 2021. They’re ageing, and they will have got their prize. I am not here to write them off - you never can, they’re the cockroaches of the AFL. But finally sitting down for a meal after going hungry, even sitting at the table last year, will have an impact.

I’m not ready to declare that “something stinks” at Punt Road yet. Every team is going to have poor years for a number of reasons. For us this year it has been the cliff arriving for some key players (Cotchin, Astbury, Houli) form and by extension confidence due to interrupted seasons (Vlaustin, Edwards, Lynch and Prestia) and injury (Balta, Martin, Nankervis and the four aforementioned players.). Though Nank has been stellar all year. Not his best game last night, but in my eyes he’s been a clear improver again this year.

By the same token, we are at a critical juncture. I’ve been strong on the idea that we must absolutely avoid one contract players (Mitchell, Lynch, Talia) and go for younger multiple-contract options. Next year isn’t about a flag: Melbourne, Footscray and Sydney have arrived and will have a number of very strong years. Next year is about finding the group that will take us to the next one. It doesn’t mean we can’t and shouldn’t be aiming for the ultimate success, but not that we should judge success in such binary terms.

I don’t think Sydney have arrived in any sense. They will finish in some sort of similar shape to what we were in 2013-15. And similarly, I think they could be ejected from the finals very smartly.

Bulldogs and Demons have genuinely peaking lists and I think your point stands with them for sure, and also the Lions and probably the Giants if they are able to fix their ruck and key forward issues. As matters stand we will struggle to go with these sides based on level luck with injuries etc.

I am not sure about flags subconsciously taking the edge off players. I know for sure that more Premiers historically win again the next year than beaten Grand Finalists. I think it is more physical and demographic related, rather than psychological. A 29 yo Cotchin and a 28yo Martin can be just far too good for a 23yo Petracca and a 22yo Oliver. But once you make that a 31yo Cotchin and a 30yo Martin v a 25yo Petracca and a 24yo Oliver the physical dynamic changes until you reach a tipping point, with the younger pair improving year by year and the older pair stagnating or even deteriorating. I think we have simply moved from a Premiership demographic to a non-Premiership demographic, and these other teams have moved into the Premiership demographic, and no amount of desire or hunger would bridge the gap.

I love what Richmond have done continually going to the draft, building a side for the future whilst in the process of winning flags. I hope we just stick to that plan and only recruit young players, maybe with the odd obvious urgent need filled by an older player.

Absolutely. Sydney could be a case of a young team peaking early with some seasoned quality around them a la Hawks 2008, Dogs 2016. Or it could be more akin to Port in which they compete but aren’t quite good enough. Sydney have coaching staff I back though, unlike Hinkley. An interesting watch.

Absolutely. Sydney could be a case of a young team peaking early with some seasoned quality around them a la Hawks 2008, Dogs 2016. Or it could be more akin to Port in which they compete but aren’t quite good enough. Sydney have coaching staff I back though, unlike Hinkley. An interesting watch.

I am prepared to be proven wrong, but Don Pyke is getting a lot of praise at Sydney, and good luck to him. He also had Adelaide flying…until he didn’t. I think his game plans can be a bit gimmicky and not necessarily likely to stand up to the fiercest tests in finals. There is a lot of avoidance of physical contact in his game plans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back