Past #3: Ryan Bastinac - traded to Brisbane for picks 17, 26, 28 & 47 (NMFC loses 34, 38, 40 & 2016 R3)

Remove this Banner Ad

just look at the last game of the season you all know it well the one you "didnt" throw.

Ryan played the first half had what 15 disp and 6 clearances 4 ish inside 50's and you were still in with a chance

then at half time scotty had to re-jigged the middle so you couldnt "accidently" win and one of the biggest moves he made was the leading clearance player on the ground at the time Basti he tucked away in a forward pocket/half forward flank role and you got pantsed in the second half big bad drewy kicked what 1-2 goals ?

next week first week of finals Basti was dropped for what looks like a 2nd half fade out ( bit hard to win the ball when you are in a FP and your team cannot get an inside 50 for 2 quarters)

all im saying is i think he has some real upside i like him alot as a player and hell yeah id love him at the crows we have some room in the middle now :p

you drafted an inside mid but you want to throw him out because he isnt a hugely gifted FP and from someone who has no reason to be biased to any player on the roos team its pretty clear some players are judged MUCH MUCH harder than others

I'd agree with this assessment. Basti is a good player and has shown himself to be very good-excellent on numerous occasions. His problem isn't a lack of ability, it's that he has Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow, Jacobs playing under the feet of Goldy - a role that Basti is much more suited to. I'm not sold on trading him off for a pic 25ish. He has drafted at pick 21, has played 100 games, and is somewhat a known quantity/is proven.

Aish is a good player with plenty of upside but I don't think we should just declare a carte blanche on Ryan. If Ryan believes it is best for his career to go elsewhere, then so be it. But if we don't get the return we want, why wouldn't we keep him and persist with his talent?

It doesn't matter if Bastinac's played 100 games or 300 games. I can clearly state with confidence that Anderson is the better footballer given a free run.

I'd be wrapt if we could get a first rounder for Ryan but I'd settle for an early or mid second rounder.

Love it. Can 'clearly state with confidence' after 4 games that Anderson is a better footballer. Same delusion as Saintly on Garner.
Basti is clearly superior to both, and it will be a shame to have him go to Brisbane.
Look, I get that supporters have different opinions on our players but I don't get supporters running them down.

Love it. Can 'clearly state with confidence' after 4 games that Anderson is a better footballer. Same delusion as Saintly on Garner.
Basti is clearly superior to both, and it will be a shame to have him go to Brisbane.
Look, I get that supporters have different opinions on our players but I don't get supporters running them down.

i think the only supporters who should run a player down are collingwobble fans with 900k a year cloak :p

surely THAT is something we can all agree on ?

When he's on, he's clearly best 22. Aish has clearly NOT shown any more than Basti has. He was drafted higher, and he's younger. That's it. I'd be happy if we kept him, but if he has to go, it needs to be for what he's worth (low 20s or better) or not at all.

Hey Kangas supporters! I'd like to ask a question as I didn't get to watch much Roos games this year. Was Bastinac a spud this year? I'm interested to know as this whole Aish thing has both our clubs as possible destinations for him.

Hey Kangas supporters! I'd like to ask a question as I didn't get to watch much Roos games this year. Was Bastinac a spud this year? I'm interested to know as this whole Aish thing has both our clubs as possible destinations for him.

Great player when he's playing in the correct position, which is as an inside midfielder/rover. Has lightning hands and a good footy brain. Gets lost on the outside and sort of wanders around. Great endurance base, but as far as I can tell, prefers to play on the inside, where we have about 4 or 5 in front of him. Thus, he is probably surplus to requirements. Spent a bit of time in the VFL but he is clearly above that level as whenever he goes back to the VFL he gets roughly 40 touches.

Great player when he's playing in the correct position, which is as an inside midfielder/rover. Has lightning hands and a good footy brain. Gets lost on the outside and sort of wanders around. Great endurance base, but as far as I can tell, prefers to play on the inside, where we have about 4 or 5 in front of him. Thus, he is probably surplus to requirements. Spent a bit of time in the VFL but he is clearly above that level as whenever he goes back to the VFL he gets roughly 40 touches.
Thank your for your response, well put and I see your point.

You could never call Ryan Bastinac a spud, Jeremy Howe on the other hand, yeah I'm so glad that deal didn't happen for us.

I'm shattered that it is happening unlike a lot of my fellow Magpie supporters, we have a knack of trading in spuds the past few years so I'm not holding a lot of hope with this trade period.

Thank your for your response, well put and I see your point.

I'm shattered that it is happening unlike a lot of my fellow Magpie supporters, we have a knack of trading in spuds the past few years so I'm not holding a lot of hope with this trade period.
Don't worry Treloar should be a good one

just look at the last game of the season you all know it well the one you "didnt" throw.

Ryan played the first half had what 15 disp and 6 clearances 4 ish inside 50's and you were still in with a chance

then at half time scotty had to re-jigged the middle so you couldnt "accidently" win and one of the biggest moves he made was the leading clearance player on the ground at the time Basti he tucked away in a forward pocket/half forward flank role and you got pantsed in the second half big bad drewy kicked what 1-2 goals ?

next week first week of finals Basti was dropped for what looks like a 2nd half fade out ( bit hard to win the ball when you are in a FP and your team cannot get an inside 50 for 2 quarters)

all im saying is i think he has some real upside i like him alot as a player and hell yeah id love him at the crows we have some room in the middle now :p

you drafted an inside mid but you want to throw him out because he isnt a hugely gifted FP and from someone who has no reason to be biased to any player on the roos team its pretty clear some players are judged MUCH MUCH harder than others

I don't want Bastinac to go, at least he add depths to the squad. If somehow we can get a first rounder for him than I'm happy to let him go otherwise a big "No".

Looking back to it. I was at his missus 21st last year and only watched patches of the game. Was he a sub during that prelim in sydney?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for proving my point re upside.

Anderson hasn't shown s**t and the only reason the support has been so positive is based on the fact that he will now wear a North jumper.

Bastinac on the other hand has shown he can play AFL football as a very high standard in the right role.

And players do have down years, Swallow's had them, Boomer's had them, Petrie's had them.
You'll be eating your own s**t re Anderson.

I'd agree with this assessment. Basti is a good player and has shown himself to be very good-excellent on numerous occasions. His problem isn't a lack of ability, it's that he has Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow, Jacobs playing under the feet of Goldy - a role that Basti is much more suited to. I'm not sold on trading him off for a pic 25ish. He has drafted at pick 21, has played 100 games, and is somewhat a known quantity/is proven.

Aish is a good player with plenty of upside but I don't think we should just declare a carte blanche on Ryan. If Ryan believes it is best for his career to go elsewhere, then so be it. But if we don't get the return we want, why wouldn't we keep him and persist with his talent?

The problem was recruiting Dal Santo.

I think we were excited about the prospect of luring a big fish and expected him to be a significant improvement over Bastinac, but he was only a marginal improvement in most areas and is significantly inferior when it comes to scoreboard contribution. Dal isn't any better really in the areas that Bastinac was mediocre at, he is probably even softer than Bastinac.

2016 will probably be NDS' last season, I still think Bastinac could become an elite midfielder. We should have more emphasis on playing Ziebell forward, relying on Cunners and Swallow for the inside gig and Jacobs for the tag, the other midfield roles should be Wells, Dal Santo, Bastinac and Anderson. When NDS retires after 2016, Bastinac to move into the primary rover role and bring Dumont up.

I don't think Gibson contributes enough, he was handy in the defensive role during the finals but we can't kick 7 goals a game and hope to win. We can't have Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington in the middle in the same time and have 2 taggers, makes us totally impotent. Our midfield we ran with in the finals had an unflushable amount of stodge in it.

What else do Brisbane have that we want? Aish clearly wants to follow in Buckleys footsteps.... so let it be....
And be a member of losing grand final sides?
The real reason Buckley didn't want to be at North as he didn't want to be the apprentice to King Carey plus he was a Ass licker to Eddie and as long as Eddie is at Collingwood Buckley will be too.
So Aish don't be a loser do the right thing and come to us.

2015 stats for a sixth year player aren't as pretty.
But who's fault is that?? Put Swallow out on the wing and lets see how he travels??

Swallows option B is in the backline.........how many times have we seen him down back as a genuine back pocket or HBF? We Don't.

We see Cunners and Jack go forward but where does Swallow go? There isnt an option B for him or is there ? you guys tell me please.

The problem was recruiting Dal Santo.

I think we were excited about the prospect of luring a big fish and expected him to be a significant improvement over Bastinac, but he was only a marginal improvement in most areas and is significantly inferior when it comes to scoreboard contribution. Dal isn't any better really in the areas that Bastinac was mediocre at, he is probably even softer than Bastinac.

This is so crazy I can't believe my eyes.

Bastinac hasn't been in our best 22 for the last two years and NDS has been in our best half a dozen players since coming across.

I like Bastinac, but NDS is and has been much, MUCH better than Basti.

Disappointing but will look forward to Aish languishing in the bottom 6 like all Collingwood brainwashed.
With chanel 9 with Eddie being in charge any young kid would be suduced by the hype .
I just hope Aish and Traloar wake up after the 3 years and admit how foolish there are being at a s**t club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back