Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though he's back...I can't imagine the team with him in it. Not through anything other than the fact he's been a mythical being for the last 6 years. Does anyone else feel the same?

It almost feels..strange, that he's in the team and he's a 'chance' to be a regular part of our team.

Yeah, any time a player is out as long he's been will have that feeling associated with them.

If we think this is bad with Gumby, imagine how nearly anyone would have felt about Neale Daniher after 1981.

If we think this is bad with Gumby, imagine how nearly anyone would have felt about Neale Daniher after 1981.

I wonder throughout history how many appointed captains never got to play a game as appointed captain.

I wonder throughout history how many appointed captains never got to play a game as appointed captain.

Did Leigh Colbert manage that in his year of being Geelong captain? Then left for North the next year.

Amazing to think that after 1981, Daniher did not play a game in any of '82, '83, '84. Managed five games in '85 before his knee went again, didn't play a game in '86, '87 or '88, then cobbled together 11 games over 1989-90.

I'm not the biggest fan of using the word 'tragedy' in a football context, but if you must use it, Daniher would probably rank almost as big a tragedy as Coleman.

Who will he get? Harry Taylor?

The last time he played Geelong Lonergan touched him up by continually pushing him under the ball - they might back him to repeat the dose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cloke is not in the best form...and Gumby is probably AA at this rate. Not sure Geelong have anyone to stop him.

He should have the Coleman wrapped up next week.

If Gumby can play like he did on the weekend and improve a little with more exposure to this level, as well as getting used to the team, will he remain in the side with Crameri, Hurley and Ryder available? Even Hurley returning may see him back to Bendigo. Or will the club look to send Hurley to defence or play Crameri as a third tall?

With the later than normal (possible) renaissance of Gumby and Myers it has got me thinking about the age groups of our players and what the ideal mix is for a premiership side. We had a poor recruiting patch no doubt which left us bereft of players in the age bracket between the kids and the older veterans. One could say the 23-26 age group is the most important of a decent side - when a player is near or at their peak. (Look at what GWS/GC have now, they lack the middle bracket) I have really enjoyed the way we have rectified this over the seasons.

23 years old;

Tom Bellchambers – From Pre-season draft
Cory Dell Olio – From Rookie List
David Myers – Coming good
Kyle Reimers – Regulation pick

24 years old;

Stuart Crameri – Rookie list
Scott Gumbleton – Coming good?
Kyle Hardingham – Rookie list
Ben Howlett – Rookie list
Jetta, Ryder, Hooker – Regulation Picks

25 years old;

Heath Hocking – Rookie list
Mark Baguley – Rookie list
Andrew Lee – Rookie list
Monfries, Dempsey, Lonergan – Regulation picks

So from having a hole in our list between the up and coming kids and the quality older generation we have now addressed this via the rookie list with what you would have to say has been spectacular results. And now that Myers is coming good and the hope of Gumby staying fit we may have a sold group of 23-25 year olds which one would argue is the most important bracket of player in a premiership side.

Thoughts?

With the later than normal (possible) renaissance of Gumby and Myers it has got me thinking about the age groups of our players and what the ideal mix is for a premiership side. We had a poor recruiting patch no doubt which left us bereft of players in the age bracket between the kids and the older veterans. One could say the 23-26 age group is the most important of a decent side - when a player is near or at their peak. (Look at what GWS/GC have now, they lack the middle bracket) I have really enjoyed the way we have rectified this over the seasons.

So from having a hole in our list between the up and coming kids and the quality older generation we have now addressed this via the rookie list with what you would have to say has been spectacular results. And now that Myers is coming good and the hope of Gumby staying fit we may have a sold group of 23-25 year olds which one would argue is the most important bracket of player in a premiership side.

Thoughts?

In what Karl says, there is much accuracy. Whether attributable to Knights or Hird or both, the twilight of the Sheedy era left some holes in the list, which have now been addressed.

I would go further though, to say that for us to be a prime challenger in 2012-13, and even 2014, we would want a strong bracket of 25-28 y.o. players, which we don't presently have. But we will.

Players between 25 and 30:

42 Lovett-Murray, Nathan 137 29yr 7mth 18 Nov 1982 190cm 87kg Northern Knights Defender
29 Davey, Alwyn 80 28yr 2mth 15 May 1984 173cm 72kg South Adelaide Forward
8 Winderlich, Jason 98 27yr 9mth 10 Oct 1984 188cm 82kg Gippsland Power Midfield
Forward
4 Watson, Jobe 147 27yr 5mth 8 Feb 1985 190cm 94kg Sandringham Dragons Midfield
2 Dyson, Rick 113 26yr 9mth 28 Sep 1985 183cm 86kg Northern Knights Midfield
20 Slattery, Henry 95 26yr 5mth 22 Jan 1986 185cm 86kg West Adelaide Defender
5 Stanton, Brent 177 26yr 2mth 1 May 1986 182cm 84kg Northern Knights Midfield
9 Prismall, Brent 61 26yr 14 Jul 1986 186cm 83kg Western Jets Midfield
6 Monfries, Angus 144 25yr 5mth 19 Jan 1987 184cm 78kg Sturt Midfield
Forward
14 Lonergan, Sam 76 25yr 3mth 26 Mar 1987 182cm 81kg Lauderdale Midfield
46 Baguley, Mark (R) 1 25yr 1mth 21 May 1987 180cm 83kg Frankston Defender
Midfield

It is fortunate that Stanton and Watson are slightly closer to 25 than to 30, as they will be peaking as the squad matures and we have a best 22 with about 100+ games exp each. The beauty of list now is that it is growing (for the most part) as a unit, not mixed and matched with old and young.

If Gumby can play like he did on the weekend and improve a little with more exposure to this level, as well as getting used to the team, will he remain in the side with Crameri, Hurley and Ryder available? Even Hurley returning may see him back to Bendigo. Or will the club look to send Hurley to defence or play Crameri as a third tall?

Hurley to Bendigo to earn his spot back in the team.

Hurley to Bendigo to earn his spot back in the team.
SpitCereal.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back