3 Seasons, 3 Premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
When Brian Lake crossed over to Hawthorn in 2013, he played in a total of 54 games across 3 seasons (2013-2015); Which comprised 10 Finals (W 9, L 1) & 3 Premierships.

Is there any other player in the history of VFL/AFL football to have a similar record to this?.....Possibly a Magpie from their 1927-1930 era, or a Demon from their 1955-1957 years.

It's quite some achievement.

Last edited:
That's an incredibly insane and honestly, very lucky feat. Makes you feel bad for the 10+ year players with next to no finals appearances.

• Banned
That's an incredibly insane and honestly, very lucky feat. Makes you feel bad for the 10+ year players with next to no finals appearances.

More than likely the case of the right player, in the right place, at the right time.

Although Brian did play 11 seasons at the Doggies prior to crossing over, where he saw out 4 unsuccessful finals campaigns, that included 11 finals for a 4 & 7 record, during a 197 game stint.

Only wish that he had come across 2 seasons sooner.....Oh, what might have been.

As a kid I remember we had fringe player from Geelong cross over to Carlton in 1981. .. Bortolotto.
He was back up for our gun key defenders like Geoff Southby and Val Perovic. Our champion full back . Geoff Southby was injured at time for both 1981 and 1982 grand finals so Bortolotto got to play in both grand finals despite only playing 11 games each season and not a regular member of our teams.

Wayne Johnston played in 1978 grand final for Prahran in VFA. Then crossed over to Carton in 1979 and played in that grand final and 1981 and 82 premierships too.

Pretty good timing. In fact the Dominator had his first 10 seasons at Carlton all part of finals series. I think he was only Carlton player of that era that played in all the 1979, 81, 82 and 87 grand finals. Of course Peter Bosustow played just 3 seasons at Carlton, Famously won mark and goal of year in one season and played in 81 and 82 premiership teams. His last game for us was win over North in 1983 and got suspended 4 weeks and never played for us again. But was amazing 3 years at club. Not many players make such an impact of so few games. Leon Baker at Essendon was pretty special like that too. Think he played in 1984 and 85 flags for Essendon over Hawks.

• Banned
As a kid I remember we had fringe player from Geelong cross over to Carlton in 1981. .. Bortolotto.
He was back up for our gun key defenders like Geoff Southby and Val Perovic. Our champion full back . Geoff Southby was injured at time for both 1981 and 1982 grand finals so Bortolotto got to play in both grand finals despite only playing 11 games each season and not a regular member of our teams.

Wayne Johnston played in 1978 grand final for Prahran in VFA. Then crossed over to Carton in 1979 and played in that grand final and 1981 and 82 premierships too.

Pretty good timing. In fact the Dominator had his first 10 seasons at Carlton all part of finals series. I think he was only Carlton player of that era that played in all the 1979, 81, 82 and 87 grand finals. Of course Peter Bosustow played just 3 seasons at Carlton, Famously won mark and goal of year in one season and played in 81 and 82 premiership teams. His last game for us was win over North in 1983 and got suspended 4 weeks and never played for us again. But was amazing 3 years at club. Not many players make such an impact of so few games. Leon Baker at Essendon was pretty special like that too. Think he played in 1984 and 85 flags for Essendon over Hawks.

Yeah, the old Buzz was all the rage back in the day.....Very Acker-like for both impact & excitement.

The Dominator was one of the best big game & finals players I saw.....Rocket Eade's job on him in the 1986 Grand Final should have seen him win the Normie that day....Ayres was deserved, but Rocket was better that day I felt....The amount of 1%ers he was involved in, to turn defence into attack & which directly led to goals that day, was awe-inspiring.....And that was on top of the shut-down role he did on Johnston.

Yeah, the old Buzz was all the rage back in the day.....Very Acker-like for both impact & excitement.

The Dominator was one of the best big game & finals players I saw.....Rocket Eade's job on him in the 1986 Grand Final should have seen him win the Normie that day....Ayres was deserved, but Rocket was better that day I felt....The amount of 1%ers he was involved in, to turn defence into attack & which directly led to goals that day, was awe-inspiring.....And that was on top of the shut-down role he did on Johnston.

Given Dominator's game was over on crutches, his body shut him down. Can't remember if he even played half the game. From memory Braddles was hampered in the game too but not game ending like Dom's match. I was at the game. First grand final I went to. Pity I did not go the next year when turned table on the Hawks. Thankfully did not miss 1995 grand final.

• Banned
Given Dominator's game was over on crutches, his body shut him down. Can't remember if he even played half the game. From memory Braddles was hampered in the game too but not game ending like Dom's match. I was at the game. First grand final I went to. Pity I did not go the next year when turned table on the Hawks. Thankfully did not miss 1995 grand final.

I was at both, having been to all 7 during the 80's....The 1987 Granny was played in 33 degree heat, where even Michal Tuck wore short sleeves after half-time.

Earning the week-off proved all the difference that year, after Kernahan kicked a goal against North after the siren out at Waverley from the boundary line, to land your mob the week off & the double-chance, in the final H&A round of the season.....Losing Dunstall for that game, & Dermie carrying injury, also proved to make it insurmountable.....You blokes had also lost Motley to his car accident between those 2 seasons & Des English to cancer.....So you had all the motivation going in to turn the tables on us, without a doubt.

All I took from that game was the emergence of Collins & Pritchard, who both stood-up for us after half-time.....I knew we had 2 players for the future then.

Last edited:
Across 4 seasons (1981-1985), Leon Baker played in 10 Finals (W 9, L 1) & 4 Premierships:
1982 - Swan Districts (WAFL) [Finals: WW]
1983 - Swan Districts (WAFL) [Finals: WWW]
1984 - Essendon (VFL) [Finals: LWW]
1985 - Essendon (VFL) [Finals: WW]

Last edited:
Not a player and not wins in consecutive seasons at different clubs, but worth a mention is John 'Jack' Worrall.
1906 - Carlton premiership coach [Finals: WW]
1907 - Carlton premiership coach [Finals: WW]
1908 - Carlton premiership coach [Finals: WW]
(1909* - resigned after R13 due to player revolt)
(1910 - VFL Umpires coach)
1911 - Essendon premiership coach [Finals: WW]
1912 - Essendon premiership coach [Finals: WWW]

Fred Elliott took over from Worrall in R14, 1909, finishing 2nd and losing the Grand Final. My interpretation of what I read about the 1909 season is their issues were very much avoidable, and without them, rather than finishing 2nd at 14-4 and losing the grand final, their chances of being minor and major premier would have been improved. Carlton could have been the first team since Essendon to win 4 premierships in a row [VFA 1891-94], and the first VFL team to do so.

Carlton had won 28 of their last 30 matches leading into the 1909 season, but ... "Tensions arose as the players were receiving only 30 shillings ($3) per week, yet were training to a professional standard. Adding to the players' dissatisfaction was the increased money coming into the game – Carlton's revenue had doubled since the time of Worrall's appointment. Worrall's sometimes brusque approach to dealing with individuals and his puritanical attitude to alcohol and other distractions didn't help the situation. Early in 1909, Carlton's players revolted over money and Worrall's disciplinary demands, and some refused to take the field in the opening round. The matter rumbled on for a number of weeks, with a small group of players insisting on Worrall's resignation, which was duly given mid-season. He continued on as secretary, but resigned that position at the end of the season when the disharmony was still not repaired. A number of players who supported the ex-coach left Princes Park in sympathy."

Sounds similar to what happened at Melbourne post-1964.

Last edited:
Not a player and not wins in consecutive seasons at different clubs, but worth a mention is John 'Jack' Worrall.
1906 - Carlton premiership coach [Finals: WW]
1907 - Carlton premiership coach [Finals: WW]
1908 - Carlton premiership coach [Finals: WW]
(1909* - resigned after R13 due to player revolt)
(1910 - VFL Umpires coach)
1911 - Essendon premiership coach [Finals: WW]
1912 - Essendon premiership coach [Finals: WWW]

Fred Elliott took over from Worrall in R14, 1909, finishing 2nd and losing the Grand Final. My interpretation of what I read about the 1909 season is their issues were very much avoidable, and without them, rather than finishing 2nd at 14-4 and losing the grand final, their chances of being minor and major premier would have been improved. Carlton could have been the first team since Essendon to win 4 premierships in a row [VFA 1891-95], and the first VFL team to do so.

Carlton had won 28 of their last 30 matches leading into the 1909 season, but ... "Tensions arose as the players were receiving only 30 shillings ($3) per week, yet were training to a professional standard. Adding to the players' dissatisfaction was the increased money coming into the game – Carlton's revenue had doubled since the time of Worrall's appointment. Worrall's sometimes brusque approach to dealing with individuals and his puritanical attitude to alcohol and other distractions didn't help the situation. Early in 1909, Carlton's players revolted over money and Worrall's disciplinary demands, and some refused to take the field in the opening round. The matter rumbled on for a number of weeks, with a small group of players insisting on Worrall's resignation, which was duly given mid-season. He continued on as secretary, but resigned that position at the end of the season when the disharmony was still not repaired. A number of players who supported the ex-coach left Princes Park in sympathy."

Sounds similar to what happened at Melbourne post-1964.

But Carlton then went on to win the double again in 1914-1915, followed by premierships in 1938, 1945 & 1947.....Followed by 1968, 1970 & 1972.

The Demons, ever since the departure of the 'Red Fox' in 1964, haven't saluted since.....That's a 55 year curse....The longest Blues drought was 23 years from 1915-1938....And given it's now been a stretch from 1995 to 2018 since they've won it, then they've now currently excelled that record.

Good times indeed.

Last edited:
88 players have played in premiership-winning teams in three consecutive years.

26 Collingwood
18 Melbourne
17 Hawthorn
16 Brisbane
11 Carlton

Players to win in their first three seasons after crossing from another club, other than Lake:

Harold Rumney (Co) 1927-30 (formely Ca) - four flags
Martin Pike (Br) 2001-03 (formerly Me/Fi/NM)
Mal Michael (Br) 2001-03 (formerly Co)

88 players have played in premiership-winning teams in three consecutive years.

26 Collingwood
18 Melbourne
17 Hawthorn
16 Brisbane
11 Carlton

Players to win in their first three seasons after crossing from another club, other than Lake:

Harold Rumney (Co) 1927-30 (formely Ca) - four flags
Martin Pike (Br) 2001-03 (formerly Me/Fi/NM)
Mal Michael (Br) 2001-03 (formerly Co)

Rumney has 5 Premiership medallions all up, having also played in the 1935 premiership.....1 of only 21 players to have played in 5 or more.

Those 21 players are made up from only 5 teams: 8 from Melbourne, 5 from both Hawthorn & Collingwood, 2 from Richmond & 1 from Carlton.

The Magpies era from 1927-1936 accounts for theirs....The Demons era from 1955-1964 accounts for theirs.....The Hawks era from 1976-1991 accounts for theirs.....While both Bartlett & Bourke comprise the 2 Tigers from 1967-1980 inclusive, while Charlie Hammond is the lone Blue from 1907-1915.

Pike has 4, playing in the 1999 North premiership side.....A perfect example of a player being in the right place at the right time.

A further 43 players have played in 4 or more Premierships, with most of them also from the same 5 teams mentioned above.....Hawthorn has 14, Collingwood has 8, Carlton 7, Melbourne 6, Richmond 4, Essendon 3 & Fitzroy has 1.

2 of the 3 Bombers are Bill Hutchinson & Dick Reynolds 1942-1950....While the lone Lion is Fred Fontaine 1898-1904.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back