#3 Stephen Coniglio - Inaugural Giant (Pick 2, 2011 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Stephen Coniglio

287584-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Height: 181cm
Weight: 84kg
D/O/B: 15/12/1993
Position: Midfielder

Last edited:
A short history of Coniglio in pictures

image.jpg
coniglio at the swan districts

image.jpg
Coniglio winning the WAFL premiership as a 17yr old

image.jpg
Coniglio tearing it up in the U18s carnival

44826_c4678f0119c57d3e60215b18b95d3efe.jpg

Coniglio winning the Larke medal in the U18s carnival

image.jpg
Coniglio at the draft camp

44828_abf9affc11dd344860bdea96dd94782b.jpg

Coniglio a GIANT at last! pick 2 in the 2011 draft

147330-stephen-coniglio.jpg
Coniglio in round 1 2012, GWS inaugural game vs sydney

003706-stephen-coniglio.jpg
Coniglio in his rising star nomination game vs gold coast

Multicultural-PiConiglio-PORTRAIT.jpg
Coniglio the multicultural ambassador

ConiglioPocketProfileSLIDER.jpg
Coniglio is ready for 2014! are you on board the Coniglio wagon?

Last edited:

Rising Star Years Statistical Rankings
dot.gif
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists in 2012
dot.gif
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game in 2012
dot.gif
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game in 2012
dot.gif
Ranked 4th among rising stars in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game in 2012
dot.gif
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game in 2012
dot.gif
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game in 2012
dot.gif
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Kicks Per Game in 2012
dot.gif
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game in 2012

Career Season Totals Statistics

Year 2012
Games 12
Kicks 140
Handballs 118
Disposals 258
Marks 58
Goals 2
Behinds 5
Tackles 31
Hitouts 1
Frees For 8
Frees Ag. 9
Brownlow 1

Year 2013
Games 18
Kicks 192
Handballs 156
Disposals 348
Marks 65
Goals 6
Behinds 5
Tackles 67
Hitouts 5
Frees For 9
Frees Ag. 11
Brownlow

Year
Games 14
Kicks 169
Handballs 139
Disposals 308
Marks 51
Goals 5
Behinds 5
Tackles 68
Hitouts 1
Frees For 6
Frees Ag. 13
Brownlow 2

Year 2015
Games 18
Kicks 185
Handballs 236
Disposals 421
Marks 64
Goals 8
Behinds 3
Tackles 98
Hitouts 12
Frees For 17
Frees Ag. 23
Brownlow 4

IMG_0518.JPG

Year 2016
Games 23
Kicks 291
Handballs 353
Disposals 644
Marks 70
Goals 12
Behinds 10
Tackles 129
Hitouts 7
Frees For 36
Frees Ag. 15
Brownlow 17

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Season of Positives for Coniglio
Ryan Miller - @ryan_dmiller

24 October 2016 3:14 PM

When the final siren sounded to bring the GIANTS 2016 season to a close, Stephen Coniglio was one of the most emotional GIANTS.

The heartbreaking six point preliminary final loss to the Western Bulldogs reduced Coniglio and many of his team-mates to tears.

But he wants to use pain of the loss to drive his 2017 season.

“It has to fuel the whole playing group and the staff as well,” Coniglio said.

“There was so much emotion because it meant a lot to us,

“Some people say you have to lose one to win one but for us we’re as shattered as anyone that we didn’t get the opportunity to run out there on Grand Final Day.

“For me personally… it’ll sting for a long time, the whole off season and into the pre-season.”

Coniglio’s season echoed the GIANTS; it was a marked improvement.

The 22-year-old finished the home and away season with the equal most disposals for the GIANTS, was the club’s highest vote getter in the Brownlow Medal and was in the 40 man All Australian squad.

The midfielder was recognised by the GIANTS coaching staff for his efforts, finishing third in the Sheedy Medal count.

“Like the rest of the group, I think we all progressed together and my game was helped by the fact that everyone else around me was playing really good footy,” he said.

“I had a clear role in the midfield and up forward, so for me it was a very enjoyable year I guess.”

2016 also marked Coniglio’s first year in the GIANTS’ leadership team, a role he enjoyed.

“It’s a pretty good leadership setup that we do have with the two captains and with Heath Shaw sitting beneath them,” he said.

“I think the added responsibility can only help you in terms of what you need to be doing and displaying on the field.”

Coniglio, shows his leadership capabilities in the way he looks past the disappointing end to the season by only seeing positives.

“It’s a step in the right direction for the whole football club,” he said.

“It was really a number of firsts for the club, most wins and really a positive year… it’s something to build on.”

Cogs finishes in number 6 for his first time trial of the pre season. Good start for him!

IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG

Cogs enjoying a boxing session in his first week back to training
IMG_0501.JPG

Last edited:
GIANTS Not Holding Back
Ryan Miller - @ryan_dmiller

23 January 2017 3:50 PM

Stephen Coniglio isn’t expecting the GIANTS to hold back when the JLT Community Series begins in February.

The 23-year-old midfielder believes the club could field a near full-strength line-up for the three match series.

The GIANTS take on West Coast, Sydney and North Melbourne, three sides who featured prominently in the 2016 AFL finals series and pose as strong opposition ahead of the season proper.

“With the later start of our preseason for the more senior players a lot of our guys are on different programs at the moment so we might see a few of our first and second year players in the first game of the JLT series,” he said.

“But, in the last couple of years in particular, the competition for spots has been high, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we go full strength for two or maybe all three of the games.”

The GIANTS have previously used the JLT Series to test out their latest draftees, exposing their youngsters to senior football.

Having worked closely with a few of the GIANTS’ latest draft crop over the preseason, Coniglio not only thinks they can handle the JLT Community Series but push for higher honors.

“Harry Perryman, Will Setterfield and Timmy Taranto in particular in the midfielder, have been great and the positive thing is that they’re hard-working and always asking questions and wanting to get better,” he said.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if we see them in the GIANTS team this year."

The youngsters and the entire GIANTS squad have had to train in intense heat throughout the pre-season, something that Congilio feels is only helping them ahead of a tough season.

“The last couple of weeks in particular since Christmas have been testing on the track,” he said.

“But it’s good for physical and mental training and the boys have been coping really well with it,

“The running that we’ve been doing has probably lessened with the introduction of match play so the boys always love that when January comes around,

We start to play a little bit more of the games and that’s when you get excited.”

http://m.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-01-23/giants-not-holding-back

GIANTS Better Equipped For Finals - Coniglio
Adam Curley, AFL.com.au

14 February 2017 1:38 PM

Heartbreak was written all over his face post-match, but Stephen Coniglio believes the GIANTS preliminary final loss was the wake-up call they needed.

Coniglio, like most of his teammates, was visibly upset after the Western Bulldogs won through to last year's Grand Final by six points in a thriller at Spotless Stadium, a defeat he found hard to get over.

The 23-year-old headed to the United Sates and Europe to holiday with family and friends after a breakthrough season for both he and the club, and while the hurt of the loss lingered, Coniglio will use it to drive his 2017 campaign.

GIANTS coach Leon Cameron took his players through a thorough review of the game upon their return to pre-season training, and Coniglio thinks it has helped the group realise where they were last year, and where they need to be this season.

"In terms of how it ended it was a great little (reality) check for us, and motivation within the group is right up there again," he said.

"I went away for a good chunk of time and it was easy for me to switch off, but every time something popped up about the AFL it was definitely in the back of my mind.

"For me personally it has to be a good thing in terms of me wanting to come back in good shape and go again towards hopefully another finals series, but I know I wasn't the only one in that situation, a lot of the boys are in the same boat.

"We did make a lot of mistakes (against the Bulldogs), and one of the points Leon did make was that we can ignore it, or we can review it and learn from our mistakes, and that’s one of the most important things we did.

"When that occasion might come next time, we're definitely better equipped to what we were."

Coniglio was a midfield star for the GIANTS in 2016, playing 23 games and breaking the club's season record for disposals with 644 at an average of 28 per week, kicking 12 goals, and laying almost six tackles per game, all career highs.

Desperately unlucky to miss out on All Australian selection after making the 40-man squad, the tough onballer is looking for a more positive start to 2017, after he spent round one in the NEAFL last year due to a pre-season hamstring injury, and was the GIANTS’ sub a year earlier.

GIANTS has had its shortest pre-season training block after breaking its finals duck last year, and Coniglio said the players have handled it perfectly ahead of this week's opening JLT Community Series clash with West Coast in Narrandera.

"Usually we're back training on November 2nd and this year it was December 2nd, but for me, physically and mentally, I'm in a really good space," he said.

"The one thing I've learnt is that as you get older you get smarter in terms of what you do on your break, and your level of professionalism.

"We've always had high standards with the shape we come back in and making our 3km times and reaching the goals we set prior to Christmas.

"We're really looking forward to this JLT Community Series to try out a few things we've been working on and building towards round one against Adelaide."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back