Premiership Player
May 28, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
49ers, Mavericks, Canucks,Cubs
1 - Captaincy

Chris Newman did a good job this year... (sorta i guess yeah ok he did)
But with a new coach coming over and maybe a new attitude and direction what are peoples thoughts on the captaincy, i personally dont like rotating captains or any of that crap and if you were to take the captaincy off newi after a year it would probably be shattering for him unless he was trade bait which who knows how big the cleanout will be, the other thing that is to be considered is who would be given the title... Richo should have been captain when Johnson was named the fact he wasnt is a disgrace Collingwood gave Burns the captaincy for a year and it worked for them, would giving Richo the captaincy help deledio and cotchin (the 2 in waiting) to become better leaders when its their turn? is Newi just filling the gaps for one of the 2 to grow up?

2 - TRADING FOR A RUCKMAN
Yeah ok everyones anti trade blah blah weve been burnt before
i dont have a problem for it aslong as we are active come draft time
i like the idea of trading a player for a ruckman i think the more time we allow vickery to develop as a forward and keep his body away from ruckmans knees the better, i would love to get a ruckman cheap wether it be seaby or charman i wouldnt be fussed, infact a 4th rounder for schulz than trade that for seaby id do in a heartbeat or raines for charman even better, i wouldnt rule out all trading

3 - Other Clubs Personel

Personally next year i wanna see as much essendon and hawthorn ppl in the box as we can fit in there , i want guys from successful clubs and these 2 are prime candiates i already hear talk of assistant coaches coming across etc etc. i have full faith in hardwick
i just wanna know who else from other clubs assistant coaches trainers etc. would be on the "TO GET LIST"

Captaincy should stay with Newman in my opinion, no one else is ready or a realistic option if you ask me.

Trading for a ruckmen would more than likely result in short term gain and long term loss. Are we going to win a premiership in 2010? NO so I say stick with our bunch and hope... however if we can trade for a ruck that is 23 or under I am all for it. That player would have had to show good athleticism though not lumberer like Gus.

On your last point, doesn't really bother me we haven't had many Richmond people at Richmond for a long time we have just added a few but looks as though Hardwick will bring in his own team.

1. Lids is my first choice, followed by Foley...Cousins doesn't need the official title...will be pushing whoever's chosen anyway...in Lid's case, as we saw, literally...

2. Short answer : No. Long Answer: Only for an under 24 y.o. and at minimal cost i.e. Trade for fringe player, late draft pick or PSD, all which leads to me back to my short answer.

3. Whoever are the best people, whatever club they come from is moot.

i support whoever hardwick thinks should be captain.

the only ruckmen id trade for would be natanui, mcevoy, clark or ryder and lets face it we are not going to get any of them.

im all for getting people from succesful clubs, just as long as they have the best interests of this club in mind

1. newman did great handling media pressures, but didn't look like on field captain material. on field matters more so maybe cousins, richo, or someone more dominant!!!

2. graham will be a fine ruckman thanks!!! got the greatest experience this year and will be ready for 2010.

3. depends who of course, definately dont want scott lucas at the club!!! sounds like jade will stay on at times as an assistant, well more like he wants too. hard to say, i would be more comfortable if richmond would have knights, but not happening any time soon, yet a richmond family type thing in the office and having pure richmond ex players that havn't strayed to other clubs. the richmond blood to get what they have missed out on, the almighty grand final win!!!!

Think the only option for captain at this stage is Newman , not sure there are many options Richo has acknowledge he missed his chance and would be surprised if he wanted the job now anyway. Other than that not sure Foley would be the right choice , Lids probably the next in line but perhaps 2 years away. Cotchin needs to play alot more footy to be even given a thought needs at least 80 - 100 games under his belt.

Have no issue with trading players but player for player not our picks. Against trading any picks even swaping picks.
More than happy if we can offload players for extra picks.
Really would like 2-3 picks in the pre season draft reckon a few players might fall into that that draft this year which gives chance then to pick someone up for basically nothing.

What the chances of maybe Peter Sumich ???? Has applied for a few senior gigs , might want to come to Melbourne .... Have not heard if any good but must be ok to get interviewed for senior gigs.

1. Give Deledio the captaincy ASAP. A new era dawning and with a 3 year deal just signed now is the perfect time to put the pressure on him to step up to the plate and be a leader by example on the field. If it was me I would have Deledio Captain, Foley Vice Captain & McGuane DVC.

2. No, time to develop our own. Graham has shown glimpses and has yet to play 20 games, Vickery has the talent and Browne is just a big bodied mofo. Pattison can pinch hit if we really need him to. Draft another kid in the rookie draft and go from there.

3. Whoever, Hardwick decides to have as assistants is ok by me. Although pissing off Campbell would be handy.

we do need to go after a ruckman a experienced one at that
or since we are not going to be a top team next year we can get a good look at Gus and patto for 22 games to see if they really have talent or have just shown glimpses.

Captain - Deledio
Ruck - Graham and maybe Simmo (sign for a year until Vickery/Browne improve).
Coach - probably a lot of Port and Hawthorn ex-players, and his other mates.

It's hilarious that some of our fans are knocking Graham :cool:
Looked so promising in the first 2/3 of the season. His first quiet game was about Round 15 and I wasn't surprised at all when the club said he played with a virus. Has had some hammy problems since and has underperformed recently and looked sluggish. Obviously wasn't 100% fit in the last month. I'd have Patto in our plans too. Looked to be really progressing from his first year until mid 2008, then he had injuries and missed most of 2nd half of season, then missed 2009 preseason, then first month and a handfull of other games with injury. Stuggled in a couple of games recently because he's way out of touch. Give him a preseason and he'll be back on track.

1) Newman? I reckon Hardwick will give him another year as captain, and after he has been through a year of coaching he will be able to see if anyone has better qualities to perhaps take over the captaincy in 2011.

2) I think we should probably get an experienced ruck in, especially if Simmonds goes. I think Vickery will be a very good ruckman so I don't think we need to draft one. In saying that though I wouldn't be against taking one late in the draft or in the rookie draft. Not sure what type of experienced ruck we could get though. Not very keen on Seaby, maybe someone like Charman could be an option depending on how Brisbane rate Raines.

3) Totally agree on getting as many Essendon and Hawthorn people in the box as possible. As well as having tasted success, they all have a hard nosed approach and won't accept second best.

Also to somewhat further Madtigers point, who knows what Hardwick will be able to do with some of these players? I dare say he will be able to turn at least a few careers around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CAPTAINCY … I think Newman’s football suffered as a result of this burden. But it’s a Catch 22 … the club obviously wants to shy away from the obvious (Cousins, Richo) as they are not long term, but deemed others too young for the job (Deledio, Cotchin, Riewoldt). Outside that we don’t have too many leaders at Tigerland I am afraid to say. Newman was the only guy from that middle age bracket who was remotely worthly (disregard Tuck, Schulz etc.) I think it’s the perfect time, especially if he racks up a second B/F to hand the job to Deledio.

TRADING FOR A RUCKMAN: Not lost on me that the best ruckmen we have had in the last 20 years have all come from other clubs – Dear, Stafford, Simmonds. I see merit in chasing one who isn’t too old as I don’t see Simmonds being asked to go on, Graham I am plain not sold on, Patto is worth sticking with as a back-up, while Vickery should play most of next season, but should be nurtured along and not thrown to the wolves.

PERSONNEL: Best, be they ex-Hawks, Eagles, Dockers, Power, or Swans.

1. The captain does more off the field then on - on the field we have (or should have) mid-field leaders, forward leaders and defender leaders. The most important issues for the club captain are helping keep the playing group on track during the other 20-30 hours the team is together during the week, and representing the club through the media.

2. I am a big fan of ruckmen - if Simmonds is 'gone' physically, I reckon we should look at getting another big body to assist Graham & co. Vickery is way too small at the moment.

3. The definition of a 'club that has had success over the last 10 years' is 'Anyone but Richmond and Freo'.

1. Newman. I think he has had a tough year and has helped him grow as a leader. His interview on 'one week at a time' was very classy and honest. I couldn't forsee any of the other tiger players doing as good a job as he did (perhaps Foley). As captain, he doesn't have to be the best player, but he does have to set the example on field. I would love Lids to be captain but I don't see him aspiring to be captain of this club. Cotchin, yes, but not for a few years. Or perhaps give it to Trengrove in 4 years!!

2. Grow our own. Unless its a trade for a player on the fringe or a late round pick.

3. Whoever Hardwick thinks he can work with and will help this footy club move forward.

1. I spruiked for Deledio last season and still believe he is to be our captain. Good to have Benny C there to guide him. Newman is not your inspirational captain, but I think he does a reasonable job. Pretty tough season for a first year Skip.

2. Trading for ruckmen is fraught with danger. Especially as one that is potentially any good will go for a high price. Look at Wood and Warnock. And there are no guarantees. Prefer to develop our own.

3. Just as long as we hire the appropriate people with the appropriate experience or skills, I don't care where they come from.

I think saints, geelong, collingwood and bulldogs have proven you dont need a good ruckman to be a top team.
Ottens is the best ruckman in the league and single-handedly hauled Geelong into the 2007 GF. Gardiner and King have been very important to St Kilda, Collingwood's surge coincided with Wood's glowing form and Hudson is a very underrated and important player for the Dogs. I would in fact argue the exact opposite and say there has not been a premiership team in recent memory without one or preferably two very good ruckmen.

Captain - Jackson

Ruck - They need to do something very quickly about this. If they can't trade for a ruckman for a pick 4 or above they should be drafting at least 2 of them and rookie another. One of those draft picks should be a ready to go ruckman from either another AFL list that has been delisted, VFL , SANFL or WAFL.

Coaching Staff - I'd like them to be the best available that can work in with Hardwick. If they are from either Crows, Cats, Bombers or Swans I'd be very happy as they have very good cultures.

Ottens is the best ruckman in the league and single-handedly hauled Geelong into the 2007 GF. Gardiner and King have been very important to St Kilda, Collingwood's surge coincided with Wood's glowing form and Hudson is a very underrated and important player for the Dogs. I would in fact argue the exact opposite and say there has not been a premiership team in recent memory without one or preferably two very good ruckmen.

Ottens is not even in the top 5 ruckman in the league.
Who was hawthorns premiership ruckman last year?

we do need to go after a ruckman a experienced one at that

we dont need anything of the sort. Simmonds will do for the next 2 years at least....we are in desperate need of KPPs, the end. Any thought of wasting away picks on a ruckman would be stupid. Simmonds, Graham, with Vickery and lets hope Browne is enough to work with in that area..1 is a senior, 1 has cut his teeth in 1s this year, the other will be into his second year and the other can develop at Coburg and maybe give us something...
KPPS on the other hand we have JS to work with. ;)

1) I expect Hardwick to continue working on Lids & it would be great if he could find his anger gene because IMO that is all he needs now to step him up to the highest level. That done he would be the perfect Captain. Tough on Newman and it may take another 12 months but if Deledio gets some more mongrel in him he is the best choice.

2) Ruckmen worth trading for will just cost too much... they are a prime commodity & so we will have to work with Gus, Vickery, Patto & perhaps Browne. (Surely Simmo will be retired to breed his pythons or something!) I don't mind Tiger Troy's idea of looking for a ruckman from state leagues perhaps... there must be some reasonable 22 -24 year old big bodied blokes around somewhere who are able to crash the centre bounce contest & compete around the ground.

3) I went out hard against the Scott Lucas rumor on the other thread. (Probably a little too hard because in reality I know nothing of Lucas' ability off field but it just seemed way off left field to me). In reality I will ride with whatever assistant appointment Hardwick chooses but my prime prerequisite would be "a demonstrated record of hard, direct team-first football".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back