3 things i want opinions on

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Newman. I think he has had a tough year and has helped him grow as a leader. His interview on 'one week at a time' was very classy and honest. I couldn't forsee any of the other tiger players doing as good a job as he did (perhaps Foley). As captain, he doesn't have to be the best player, but he does have to set the example on field. I would love Lids to be captain but I don't see him aspiring to be captain of this club. Cotchin, yes, but not for a few years. Or perhaps give it to Trengrove in 4 years!!

2. Grow our own. Unless its a trade for a player on the fringe or a late round pick.

3. Whoever Hardwick thinks he can work with and will help this footy club move forward.
I agree:
Newy's first year wasn't too bad. I think he'll grow into it.
2. Ruckmen: our ruck stocks are good enough. Wouldn't mind keeping Simmo but hoping he played at Coburg most of the time while gus and vickery dominated.

Our midfield needs a lot of work though.

3. Assistants are much of a muchness too.

1 - Captaincy
Newman did a good job in trying circumstances, but if i thought there was a way to give the captaincy to the newly re-signed B Deledio without destroying newman's morale i'd be keen.

the one thing that really bugged me this year with newman was how often he would take a kickout and just play it to himself and kick long, to the half back flank. granted perhaps not a lot of good leads were coming his way, but if that's the case then as the captain he should be spraying every single player that wasn't leading for him in the back half. just don't think he's a leader in that capacity.

2 - TRADING FOR A RUCKMAN
if the club is to be believed then big browne is a good prospect, i think we can assume vickery will be a decent player, and gus started to show some signs. simmonds looked quicker at the end of the year than he did at the start, if need be i'd prefer we kept simmonds one more year to ruck with the big bodies, take a bit of the load off gus/vickery/browne/patto? who all don't seem to be quite up to the physical contact just yet.

if someone like a seaby was in the PSD then we'd be foolish not to look at it, i think mark blake wants out of geelong, but i'd rather we used ND picks on kids than trade them away for a ruckman.

all of the above is void if the club has a chance at sandilands

3 - Other Clubs Personel
not fussed, i'm sure that hardwick has a wish list, at this stage i've heard brendon lade (tick), ben dixon (meh), scott lucas (tick). hopefully the blade sticks around, and i like campbell, as long as hardwick shows king and that spud royal the door promptly i'll be happy

1 - Captaincy
Newman did a good job in trying circumstances, but if i thought there was a way to give the captaincy to the newly re-signed B Deledio without destroying newman's morale i'd be keen.

the one thing that really bugged me this year with newman was how often he would take a kickout and just play it to himself and kick long, to the half back flank. granted perhaps not a lot of good leads were coming his way, but if that's the case then as the captain he should be spraying every single player that wasn't leading for him in the back half. just don't think he's a leader in that capacity.

2 - TRADING FOR A RUCKMAN
if the club is to be believed then big browne is a good prospect, i think we can assume vickery will be a decent player, and gus started to show some signs. simmonds looked quicker at the end of the year than he did at the start, if need be i'd prefer we kept simmonds one more year to ruck with the big bodies, take a bit of the load off gus/vickery/browne/patto? who all don't seem to be quite up to the physical contact just yet.

if someone like a seaby was in the PSD then we'd be foolish not to look at it, i think mark blake wants out of geelong, but i'd rather we used ND picks on kids than trade them away for a ruckman.

all of the above is void if the club has a chance at sandilands

3 - Other Clubs Personel
not fussed, i'm sure that hardwick has a wish list, at this stage i've heard brendon lade (tick), ben dixon (meh), scott lucas (tick). hopefully the blade sticks around, and i like campbell, as long as hardwick shows king and that spud royal the door promptly i'll be happy

1- Lids must be captain ,learning from cuz, make the most of this opportunity,if managed corectly cuz could go down as the most influential matuue aged recuit in the club history

2-Get CHARMAN we have of Vicory & Browne who need to learn from a guy with grunt and who can ply . He will also help our young team stand tall

3- March needs to be congratulated Cameron ,Gale and now Hardwick !!!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Some interesting thoughts on Newman. We wouldn't have a clue what he says and does in the rooms, off field etc. He obviously has leadership skills or they wouldn't have given him the gig. Remember too, if he was Collingwood's captain he'd be in the AA squad. Harley was apparently, "the best captain in the league" in '07 - a title that couldn't be proven but seemed to stick. Perception is a funny thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back