Autopsy 3 things we learnt against Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Missed the game and won't have time to watch the recording for a few days, so I can't offer any blinding insights. But no-one else seems to have started the weekly "3 things" thread so I thought I'd put it up, and feel free to post your thoughts folks!

1. We soak up pressure and throw it back like no other team can, we are the masters of pressure
2. Port Adelaide fans are absolute sooks an underrated in just how scummy they really are
3. We win even when the Bondi billionaires don't fire, port Adelaide played out of their skin an we played okay an won by 26 points, the umpires also had their back all day, so it was a tough grind of a win.

1.even when we play poorly, we are still better than most teams. Think the club may be in a heavy training load at the moment

2. Jetta is putting his body on the line a lot more these days and applying tackles. Integral part of the team

3.does anyone have any stats on the amount of games we have played in the wet this year? Seems every week we play in difficult conditions
( not something I learnt just curious)

1.even when we play poorly, we are still better than most teams. Think the club may be in a heavy training load at the moment

2. Jetta is putting his body on the line a lot more these days and applying tackles. Integral part of the team

3.does anyone have any stats on the amount of games we have played in the wet this year? Seems every week we play in difficult conditions
( not something I learnt just curious)
We played round 1, 2, 4, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 in wet conditions, correct me if I'm missing any

1. Tippett and Buddy need "front and centre" crumbers, otherwise it's rebounds too quickly. Port exploited this all night, until Lloyd was brought on to replace Tippett in the last

2. Harry Cunningham is becoming our version of Luke Breust. Ironically, as juniors they played in opposing teams in the Riverina FL

3. So happy for Gary Rohan...please footy gods, a flag for Gary and for Benny McGlynn

1 : Ball use poor again
2 : McVeigh and Jack playing well at the right time
3 : 3rd tall defender might be a worry
3a : The taller forward line with Buddy , Tippett , Reid , Goodes im not sold on.

What change you thinking forward?

What change you thinking forward?
Just think it lacks defensive pressure at times ( late in games when Tippett/Goodes are stuffed ) maybe a small , I don't think we getting the best out of Reid when forward atm and yes I know he is playing Ruck/loose man at times but he did have his best game the other week when Tippett didn't play mind you.
I almost think Reid plays better when he is one of the main mans , either gets ignored when forward with buddy/tippet/goodes or doesn't demand it enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Jake Lloyd makes a very good sub
2. The team seems to be gelling really well
3. Port have some serious talent. If they can overcome their confidence issues in the next month they will be a real threat in Finals.

Just think it lacks defensive pressure at times ( late in games when Tippett/Goodes are stuffed ) maybe a small , I don't think we getting the best out of Reid when forward atm and yes I know he is playing Ruck/loose man at times but he did have his best game the other week when Tippett didn't play mind you.
I almost think Reid plays better when he is one of the main mans , either gets ignored when forward with buddy/tippet/goodes or doesn't demand it enough

membrey maybe?

membrey maybe?

Maybe, but I think it might be too late for him to make an impact this year with only 3 weeks before the finals. I agree it's a concern, as others have pointed out I think it is partly due to our lack of a "front and centre" crumber at Tippett and Buddy's feet who can stop the ball rebounding quickly. Brandon Jack has played that role before but I don't know if this is his year.

Maybe, but I think it might be too late for him to make an impact this year with only 3 weeks before the finals. I agree it's a concern, as others have pointed out I think it is partly due to our lack of a "front and centre" crumber at Tippett and Buddy's feet who can stop the ball rebounding quickly. Brandon Jack has played that role before but I don't know if this is his year.

i wouldnt change it now we have come this far either

1. A 26 point win in the wet over port away from home, with port applying a stack of pressure, is a great result. Gotta be happy with that.

2. Even you know they also had Ebert & Broadbent &Gray for port and they were Good even the swans won by 26 it wasn't even close. (That was my six yr old son who snatched the iPad to write that one. We will be working on his grammar in future!)

3. Grundy showed how important he is to the overall structure. Correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall that he was suspended last year for the first week of the finals and we got done by hawks to the tune of around fifty pts.

4. I would rather we played Geelong than freo in the finals

After a second, this time sober viewing

1. Port had their chances. But we deserved to win. A tough, scrambling win. Loved it.

2. Coaches box featured a bit. Outstretched arms, turnaround lecture, hand over mouth into phone spray, binoculars. Horse is warming up for September.

3. McGlynn was excellent. I'd like to see him take as much time as possible with his set shots. He runs so hard his legs must be like jelly. Sports scientists would talk about lactic acid. Richo and Riewoldt are also examples.

Mglynn has been unbelievable this year , reckon he could be a smoky for the best and fairest this year, he does all the things coaches love. When he got to the club, you couldn't imagine him playing at the level he is now

Mglynn has been unbelievable this year , reckon he could be a smoky for the best and fairest this year, he does all the things coaches love. When he got to the club, you couldn't imagine him playing at the level he is now

Credit has to go to McGlynn and the coaching group for challenging him to the midfield role i must say he has exceeded all expectations by far.

Credit has to go to McGlynn and the coaching group for challenging him to the midfield role i must say he has exceeded all expectations by far.

By the sounds of reports in the pre season, it's not a surprise to the playing group. Cannot remember who said it but they were asked who their pick for the brownlow was and someone had mentioned mglynn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back